Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Decal Gallery?

How about adding a gallery of decals to this sub-forum.

In my attempt to build a reproduction of the Estes Cineroc, I've learned that there may have been a shift in the decal's colours over the years for the Omega rocket.

A proposal I have is to start a decal gallery. You got an old kit that hasn't been built? Scan the decals before using them. Used them? Post photos of the markings. Then post them in a new thread with a title like:

Decal Gallery: Estes Saturn V
or
Decal Gallery: Estes Photon Probe

If you remember what year your kit was, please add that information, so if someone is trying to build say... the 1974 Estes Omega, we can tell if the decals you want to print or buy were blue or purple, or somewhere in-between.

Before posting, search to see if your kit has already been added, and add your scans/photos to the existing thread. Especially if there is a visible difference (addition/subtraction, colour shift)

The earlier we can start this, the more chance we can see those old classics being built and flying again.

Thanks,
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

While on the surface this sounds great, storage of the kit may be far more important than when the kit was actually produced.
There is going to be extreme variability in color of decals between say a 1974 Omega stored in a sealed bin protected from UV light and one that is stored hanging on an open pegboard of a shop.
This may amount to more of a color shift than an actual production color change.
I really like the CONCEPT of this idea, but I'm afraid in actuality it will not work out as intended.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

K'Tesh, there are several places already online that sell almost every set of decals ever made, many of them post here regularly. Sandman, Tango Papa and others have them at decent prices. On the rare possibility that they don't have the exact set you're looking for send them a scan from Estes or Jim Z's site and they will make them.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
K'Tesh, there are several places already online that sell almost every set of decals ever made, many of them post here regularly. Sandman, Tango Papa and others have them at decent prices. On the rare possibility that they don't have the exact set you're looking for send them a scan from Estes or Jim Z's site and they will make them.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Estes has scans of their decals? I didn't know that. Can you throw up a link?

I just discovered that Estes has changed its decals for the Mean Machine (bought it for parts). They used to be blue, now they're yellow. I wonder if they would have the older ones scanned too.

As for JimZ's site, if it's a .tif, and part of his Quicktime sets, I can't save them, can't print them, and (due to inability to change the scale) read them (if they're instructions).

Thanks
Jim

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Flying since 1977

If you use IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/), you print/view .tif files at the correct size. To save the files form the JimZ site, right-click on the image and choose the "Save Link As..." option on the dialog box. This works with Firefox. In IE, the equivalent option is: "Save Target As...". I have used one of those two options to save the .tif files on his site since 1998. Quicktime is not required for this to work.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Master Modeler

I also redrew about a million (well, a lot) of the old Estes and Centuri decals, you can download vector PDF files here:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals.htm

If you want an EPS or AI file for any of them let me know. Sandman can print out any of these files but I think he has his own files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Estes has scans of their decals? I didn't know that. Can you throw up a link?

I just discovered that Estes has changed its decals for the Mean Machine (bought it for parts). They used to be blue, now they're yellow. I wonder if they would have the older ones scanned too.

As for JimZ's site, if it's a .tif, and part of his Quicktime sets, I can't save them, can't print them, and (due to inability to change the scale) read them (if they're instructions).

Thanks
Jim

Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
I also redrew about a million (well, a lot) of the old Estes and Centuri decals, you can download vector PDF files here:

If you want an EPS or AI file for any of them let me know. Sandman can print out any of these files but I think he has his own files.
Kurt,

Thanks for the opportunity to thank you again for all the time and effort you put in to doing this. It was a huge service to the community and it's been way too long since you were last publicly thanked.

Steve
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Talking Nice Job Kurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner

Thanks Kurt,

WOW! Now that's the kind of thing I was looking for.

If I had found that I could have saved me and Sandman a lot of trouble. I think it worked out for him, though, he did get another couple of sales out of me.

Thanks again!
Jim

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Master Modeler

And then there's http://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals.htm

Actually there are several places like this but this one is my favorite ones and should provid most of what you were looking for.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Master Modeler

Aw shucks, you're welcome but I didn't do it for you, I did it for me - so I could clone old rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Kurt,

Thanks for the opportunity to thank you again for all the time and effort you put in to doing this. It was a huge service to the community and it's been way too long since you were last publicly thanked.

Steve