Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Apollo Nut

Default It Sure Be Quiet

Hello? Hello?? Well, ok. I'll post something to make sure the forum software is still working.

Let's see...I got final finish coats on three builds today: a Centuri Satellite Killer, an Estes Der Red Max, and an Estes Cherokee D (yeah, all vintage kits...about all I build anymore).

Now only 16 more in various states of build, primer, or paint coats to finish off (how/why does it always seem I have soooo many in the works at once?). I thought I had "about five or six" in the works, but I made the mistake of counting them the other night and found I was WAY off on my estimate.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Hello! I was thinking the same thing, crickets. I always thought the Centuri Satellite Killer was neat. I built the Centuri Red-Eye Satellite that was paired with it.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Apollo Nut

Yeah, the 'crickets' were just getting too noisy, so I figured somebody needed to post SOMEthing....

The Satellite Killer was a fun build. Certainly a different type kit and it was a challenge outside of being just another 3FNC rocket. I built the Red Eye seven or eight years ago, but it still has not been flown (my old flying field is no longer accessable).

The foil decals on the Satellite Killer are going to be a bit of a challenge, as I think the adhesive has gone a bit stale over the past 38 years (this was an '81 vintage kit, based on the catalog offer/pamplet in the kit). However, I'll really need to try one or two first; I might be surprised. A couple weeks ago I put the final decals and metal foil fin decorations on a vintage Estes Saros build and thought the adhesive on the back of those foil decals would be weak. Wrong! They were still plenty sticky and worked out just fine.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Craftsman

I am sure that means everyone is out flying a few!

I helped out a local cub scout pack with their rocket launch last Saturday, Estes Up Aerospace and Gnomes about 50 flights in all. I used my two 30 year old tripod mounted launch pads and 6 volt controllers which still worked perfectly considering their age. It is hard for me to believe my "Tripod Mount" and "Ablative Blast Deflectors" articles were published that long ago in Sport Rocketry.

I do not recommend these models for cub scouts as many were partly destroyed when they they were prepared for flight. The younger children crimped and/or bent the body tubes easily. I encouraged the pack to build Firestreak SST rocket's a few years back and got a lot of criticism from the parents who said that these weren't like the Estes rockets they remember. Which is probably why they didn't invite me back last year, although all those rockets where flight worthy and all were recovered in-tact.

The build session was terrible this year, I did my 30 minute model rocketry demo then helped with the build session. I was told there were plenty of supplies to go around; however, no pencils, no rulers, no hobby knives and only 3 tubes of plastic cement for about 40 builds! I guess that is what to expect from parents with full time jobs raising a couple of young children these days. I also didn't like exposing the children to the tube type plastic cement that was used.

Someone also flew and Estes Vagabond on a D12-3 nice flight but it separated at the tube coupler (not enough glue).
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I noticed the same thing today.
VERY quiet around YORF today....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Old BAR

Well, let's see...
I put the final coats of gloss black(Rustoleum 2x) for 2 MDRM nose cones, one for me and one for my sweetheart; hers is a Purple Max. My thanks to Mark at Stickershock! Bought 2 of the BT's and NC's for them when Estes let them go.
Also primed my Hawks Hobbies Super Orbital Transport after a major repair on both the mother ship and the glider. The AT-30-4 I used had more like a 7 second delay; chute popped about 10ft ft from the ground. I thought she was a gonner, but she and the glider repaired nicely. My thanks to Tom of Tango Papa for doing up those decals for me!
Finished up an Estes Expedition over the weekend.
Trying to get a few done before our Celebrate Freedom Launch on Memorial Day weekend.

Allen
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The foil decals on the Satellite Killer are going to be a bit of a challenge, as I think the adhesive has gone a bit stale over the past 38 years (this was an '81 vintage kit, based on the catalog offer/pamplet in the kit).
Earl

Spray adhesive can take care of that. Worst case, I've had pretty good results recreating foil decals by putting chrome trim monokote on the rocket first, then printing a decal of the details and applying it over top.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Master Modeler

I restarted the build of my 1999 vintage Estes Saturn V.

Yesterday I epoxied wooden posts into the replacement styrene fins, and drilled holes into the body tube where they will be mounted.

I found that the engine shrouds are a very poor fit to the body tube wrap. The edges of the shrouds overlap the currogations in the wrap. I've been slicing and sanding the currogations a bit at a time until the shroud nestles neatly in place.

This is going to be a heavy duty Saturn. It has the swappable motor mount system, and I reinforced various spots (e.g. the upper section shoulder).

I figure it will need a mid-impulse F at least!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

ANY 4" (BT-101) rocket SHOULD fly on at least an F !
Less than that is a Pipsqueak LOB of a flight.
We are launching ROCKETS, not mortars.

The most dismal flights I have ever seen are Scale Estes "Maxi-Brutes" on D12-3's.
Absolute JOKE.
Those should have a MINIMUM of a 2x24mm cluster if flying on 24mm Estes D's and E's.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
BP Mafia

After seeing separate posts on Facebox, one dealing with the construction of a Big Bertha using the original profile and another with the availability of the Estes Patriot at Hobby Lobby, I'm heading to Hobby Lobby today to check the shelves for the first time since before Christmas. It's supposed to be relatively dry around here for the rest of the week, so I might try to sneak up to NEW, IMPROVED B6-4 Field some time this weekend for a few flights.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper