Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Krylon in ANY formulation has ALWAYS been a cruddy product.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Your opinion. I've had excellent results with the old formula. You just have to know how to apply it.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Have you ever messed around with the Artprimo nozzles? By description some of them sound good, but I'm too amateur at this stuff to really know if the descriptions match my needs. The AP Softie Fat sounds interesting.

Sadly I don't have the time or expertise to really experiment with all these and see what works best. Hoping for an expert opinion.

http://artprimo.com/catalog/spray-p...s-c-27_131.html

No, I haven't... sounds interesting though.

Later! OL J R
Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
The other day I dug thru a box of old Krylon Interior-Exterior paints. These are the ones from the early 2000s. They smell awful, so they must be lacquer type paints. I never really looked at their formulation. They were also the paints you did not want to spray over other paints! But the quality was the best and subsequent Krylon could not compare. (Krylon introduced Indoor-Outdoor as a replacement, but I never liked it as much as the old version )Anyway, the can I used was from around 2005. It is ultra flat black, so it's been used in small amounts. After 11+ years, it still sprays beautifully. I always drop the nozzle in lacquer thinner to clean it. I do this for all spray paints. I leave soaking for a few minutes, then use a piece of brass tubing to place over the nozzle's tube, and blow it out.

At one point you could still find the old Interior-Exterior by the case. Lately I've gone to lacquers like Rustoleums, but colors are limited to red, black, and white, and clear. For clear I use Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic clears. I've found Testors and Model Masters lacquers are compatible, from the testing I've done.

Yeah, the Krylon lacquers were MUCH MUCH better paints than their later enamels, and their earlier enamels are WAY better than their modern CRAP...

They've reduced the VOC content SO much and reformulated the paint to compensate that it's just a REALLY lousy product (the consumer alkyd enamel "Krylon" they're selling now).

If you have an industrial supply house and can get ahold of the lacquer product, it's EVER SO MUCH better than any of the "consumer" crap they're selling... I don't think it's quite as good as the "old stuff" simply because even the industrial stuff is made now with less VOC's...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The correct solution is to use a small air compressor and a "touch up" spray gun with CORRECTLY mixed paint with plenty of VOC's.
One can even pull that off in REGafornia.

Allow the EPA to exist with a budget of 1% of what they normally get.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, the Krylon lacquers were MUCH MUCH better paints than their later enamels, and their earlier enamels are WAY better than their modern CRAP...

They've reduced the VOC content SO much and reformulated the paint to compensate that it's just a REALLY lousy product (the consumer alkyd enamel "Krylon" they're selling now).

If you have an industrial supply house and can get ahold of the lacquer product, it's EVER SO MUCH better than any of the "consumer" crap they're selling... I don't think it's quite as good as the "old stuff" simply because even the industrial stuff is made now with less VOC's...

Later! OL J R

Scigs30 did a build thread here recently. He used the Krylon Acryli Quik Lacquer sprays. These are rebranded Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paints. Available via a number of"industrial" suppliers, as you point out. And it sounds like Graingers carries them. I've got one nearby and will have to check. My 10+ year old cans are still just fine, at least the ones that definitely were inverted to clear them, and that have clean nozzles. I did save a number of those nozzles when cans were used up. They are in my shop somewhere! Sometimes you luck out and nozzles work fine between some brands of paint.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp