Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
New balsa cones and transitions are out. So it would have to be plastic , paper shroud stock, maybe larger in size and it can't say U.S. ARMY on the side.

John Boren

The Ajax was sold to a number of countries, so you could put a number of interesting markings on it. For example, the roundels (military markings) of the Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark, Italy, Belgium, Norway, Greece and Turkey could be placed on one of the booster fins. Include the stencils, leave off ONLY the "US ARMY" garbage that costs you money!!! Since they are black on the white portion of the missile, the after market decal guys can easily handle it. Or make them yourself......
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Why don't you just include 2 each of the following separate letters on a decal sheet for the Ajax ?

A M R S U Y ; the builder could choose to place them in any manner they choose without instruction.

How about "sourcing" the balsa nose cone and transition for the kit to the company that still makes them ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Master Modeler

I've thought about supplying just the letters ever since this issue came up but I'm not the one that gives final approval on such matters.

Estes hasn't made a NEW balsa nose cone in over six years now. All the balsa cones in kits today are from stock we are trying to use up. We no longer have a balsa vendor. and NO I'm pretty sure Balsa Machining and Semroc would not be able to supply the TENS of Thousands of balsa cones we would need each year at a competitive price.

John Boren
Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I've thought about supplying just the letters ever since this issue came up but I'm not the one that gives final approval on such matters.

Estes hasn't made a NEW balsa nose cone in over six years now. All the balsa cones in kits today are from stock we are trying to use up. We no longer have a balsa vendor. and NO I'm pretty sure Balsa Machining and Semroc would not be able to supply the TENS of Thousands of balsa cones we would need each year at a competitive price.

John Boren

Dang wind turbine manufacturers.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:10 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Thanks for all the great work on bring-backs we really want. A plastic cone and transition on a Nike Ajax would work.

Another I'd really like to see back is the Original BT-70 based Gemini Titan that was last available in like 1975. NOT a remake of the BT-60 based one from the late 80's.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
...What's next? The return of the Cherokee-D and Patriot? You have the parts....

Patriot missile or Citation Patriot?

I'd LOVE to see the CP available again!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
Patriot missile or Citation Patriot?

I'd LOVE to see the CP available again!

Citation Patriot! Super Alpha nose cone, BT-60, and that beautiful decal sheet!
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

John Boren
Could hardwood nose cones and transitions (perhaps drilled hollow for lighter weight in the larger ones) be viable replacements for Estes' balsa ones? Several model rocket companies had hardwood (Maple and/or Cherry, if memory serves) nose cones and transitions in the 1950s through the 1970s, and possibly beyond then.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Master Modeler

I think using some other hard wood would cost more they less compared to balsa especially if we would hollow them out to save weight. In the long run blow mold would be cheaper and easier for me to put in a kit.

John Boren
Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
I think using some other hard wood would cost more they less compared to balsa especially if we would hollow them out to save weight. In the long run blow mold would be cheaper and easier for me to put in a kit.

John Boren

Having made more than my share of both balsa and hardwood nose cones I have to agree. Hardwood cones take much longer to make tban balsa and it dulls cutting tools much faster.

While balsa seems to be preferred it is only economical for low volume runs like SEMROC or custom work.

But for the thousands that Estes needs blow molded is much cheaper and much more consistent.

Balsa is still much cheaper than 3d printed for concentric cones. Plus 3d printing was never supposed to be cheap, it was designed to be a fast prototyper, not for production.

Odd shapes in balsa are basically "carving".

http://sandmandecals.com/