Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I'm currently doing some long, awaited repairs to the upper section of my 1/100 scale Estes Apollo/Saturn - V model I built and flew back in 2009. For those who don't remember, I flew this model in July 2009 down at Needville, TX for the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 11 Flight. The launch was great, but the recovery system for the upper section was ripped off on ejection from the engines and it "lawn darted" at high speed into the ground, badly damaging the "nose" section (as shown in the first picture). The 2nd picture shows the model prior to launch. The 3rd picture shows the main section returning under three 24" parachutes. I hope to fly this model once again after the repairs are completed.

Post Script: For some reason, the pictures are not posting in the order I'm uploading them.

They never do here on YORF, don't know why... something to do with how the pic uploader is coded I'd suppose.

If you have pics you want to upload IN A PARTICULAR ORDER, you MUST upload them ONE BY ONE ("select" the first one, hit "upload", select the second one, hit "upload", select the third one, hit "upload", etc) so they will appear in the desired order.

If you go through and select "all" the pics, even in the particular order you want (first pic in the first box, second pic in the second box, etc.) and then hit "upload all", they WILL INVARIABLY appear in some random, unintended order.

Later! OL J R
Old 08-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Master Modeler

Ok, I made a little "progress" on the upper section of my vintage Estes K-36 Saturn - V, the much needed repairs from the damage sustained in July 2009 first flight in honor of the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 11 Manned Landing on the Moon. The "before" picture (left) shows what this section looked like immediately after the flight, when the 38" plastic parachute stripped from the shroud lines after ejection and this part "lawn darted" at high speed like a spear into the hard ground. The second picture (right) was just taken a few minutes ago showing the "new" SLA shroud and "Service Module" along with the "new" Apollo Command Module with the Launch Escape System. The Launch Escape System and tower is only "dry fitted" for this picture; I will cement the sub-assemblies once I determine the correct position of the LES to the Command Module. Soon I will be adding details to the Service Module and finally, a new, improved recovery harness installed that should avoid the failure experienced in that first flight in 2009. The Apollo Capsule/LES you see in the second picture came from Jim of genimijim of this Forum. Jim, if you're still here, once again thank you very much for giving me the replacement Apollo Capsule/LES!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  13934937_10207367887455913_1505299271271225879_n.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  38.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  13895403_10207367889735970_4413263545838017115_n.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  87.5 KB  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The repair looks very nice, especially seeing as how badly it got MANGLED from the lawn-darting.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
It was a five engine cluster; D12-3 core and four C6-3 outboards. I made a mistake on the placement of the tubes for the outboards (should have been a little further from the center) but it wasn't really an issue at all. I was able to use four of the plastic F1 nozzles over the C6's. Launch and the flight was perfect, only that the 38" plastic parachute for the upper section stripped from the shroud lines immediately after ejection and that section lawn darted. The play dough in the SM actually allowed the damage to be minimal considering how fast it was coming down.

Hi, are there instructions for converting this engine config using the F1 nozzles? Maybe as in the pic?
Thanks
Jz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  0C6E6781-8ABC-4472-9411-08E7F1E80E41.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  217.3 KB  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Master Modeler

I basically used long 24 mm diameter and four 18 mm diameter body tubes with two "centering" rings that looked like what you see in the pictures below. The ejection charge of all five engines would "contribute" to the recovery process. Above the engine assembly, a Centuri style baffle system was used to eliminate the need for recovery wadding (or "dog barf"). You should be able to get a pretty good idea via the pics how it's set up if you want to consider using the same for your Saturn - V build.

For the first (and to date, only) flight, the baffle system worked excellent. I only used a single sheet of Estes Recovery wadding, laid flat over the top of the baffle to provide additional protection from the heat for the plastic parachutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 002.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  61.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 004.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  46.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 005.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  55.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 006.jpg