Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM
K'Tesh's Avatar
K'Tesh K'Tesh is offline
Seagulls Beware...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Subject to Change
Posts: 877
Question Info on the Enerjet 1340, 1340/20 Fin Can Colors

I've seen several photos online of the Enerjet 1340, and the 1340/20, and precious few of them from when they were in production. Annoyingly, those photos from "In the day" are all black and white. The color photos I've found could be originals, or clones of the kits.

So, I'm asking for your help. I'm only interested in authentic kits, and not clones.

Thanks!
Jim
__________________
.
.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."


Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,150
Default

I have seen pictures of kits and built Enerjet 1340s with red/orange and blue fin cans. I have only seen black fin cans on built ones and not in kits, so don't know if those ever came in kits.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,969
Default

I have never seen an actual Enerjet 1340/20.

My understanding is that the model used red fin cans.

I have Centuri Orange and blue colored fin cans in other kits from that era but not red.

The red colored fin cans were/are rare.
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM
K'Tesh's Avatar
K'Tesh K'Tesh is offline
Seagulls Beware...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Subject to Change
Posts: 877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have seen pictures of kits and built Enerjet 1340s with red/orange and blue fin cans. I have only seen black fin cans on built ones and not in kits, so don't know if those ever came in kits.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I have never seen an actual Enerjet 1340/20.

My understanding is that the model used red fin cans.

I have Centuri Orange and blue colored fin cans in other kits from that era but not red.

The red colored fin cans were/are rare.


Thanks for that info!

Ok. So, we've firsthand confirmation that the 1340s came with red fins and blue fins at one time. I'm a little confused by the "/orange" remark. Did it come in orange too, or was the red fins one of those reddish orange colors that come up from time to time that could be red or orange depending on the person looking at it, and/or the lighting?

Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.

So far, we've got nothing about white or yellow or black for stock Enerjet kits (yet)(though unlabeled photos exist for them, but are quite likely clones).

If anyone else has information on these old kits, please chime in.

Thanks!

I wonder if any of the people who were at Enerjet/Centuri back in the day are still around to ask. Does anybody know? Or know how to reach them?
__________________
.
.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."


Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM
MarkB.'s Avatar
MarkB. MarkB. is offline
Drinks Dos XX w/ a squeeze of lime
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso
Posts: 925
Default

Comrades:

A non-comprehensive list of kits that had the fin unit from Centuri/Estes will include:

Challenger II (Black)
Maniac (Blue)
Eliminator and Eliminator XL (Yellow)

Also, the Centuri M.A.R.S. Project static display had Blue fins (I have one still in the bag)

I too am going through an EnerJet cloning phase. Some vinyl EnerJet decals would be nice . . . .
__________________
Identifying a problem without proposing a solution is just whining.

NAR 79743
NARTrek Silver
SAM 062

Awaiting First Launch: micro V-2; Blossom V-2
Finishing: Aero-Dart clone
Repair/Rescue: Eggspress, Centuri Stilleto
On the Bench: Zooch Saturn V; Atlas V 541; 2650; M-13
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,995
Default

I’m tempted to buy a Cricut Maker. They not only cut vinyl for decals, but balsa up to 3/32”. The detail is amazing. The Maker lists for $399, but I’ve seen it on sale for $369 at Joann’s and Hobby Lobby this week.

If you just want to cut vinyl, the lower priced Cricuts work well. Check out their capabilities on YouTube.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
In the Paint/Detailing shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: nothing recently ...

Last edited by LeeR : 05-20-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

A non-comprehensive list of kits that had the fin unit from Centuri/Estes will include:

Challenger II (Black)
Maniac (Blue)
Eliminator and Eliminator XL (Yellow)

Also, the Centuri M.A.R.S. Project static display had Blue fins (I have one still in the bag)

I too am going through an EnerJet cloning phase. Some vinyl EnerJet decals would be nice . . . .


Add the Estes ‘Long Shot’ 2 stager to the list - came w/2 black fin units.
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Thanks for that info!

Ok. So, we've firsthand confirmation that the 1340s came with red fins and blue fins at one time. I'm a little confused by the "/orange" remark. Did it come in orange too, or was the red fins one of those reddish orange colors that come up from time to time that could be red or orange depending on the person looking at it, and/or the lighting?

Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.

So far, we've got nothing about white or yellow or black for stock Enerjet kits (yet)(though unlabeled photos exist for them, but are quite likely clones).

If anyone else has information on these old kits, please chime in.

Thanks!

I wonder if any of the people who were at Enerjet/Centuri back in the day are still around to ask. Does anybody know? Or know how to reach them?


The colors I know of are red, yellowish orange, blue and black.
The only one I haven’t seen personally is red.

Sean
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Thanks for that info!

>SNIP< Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.



I just happened to be looking at a sealed Centuri Argus kit this afternoon and the molded fin unit was a pale orange color, not red.
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I just happened to be looking at a sealed Centuri Argus kit this afternoon and the molded fin unit was a pale orange color, not red.

I think the original Challenger that came with a styrofoam glider had the yellowish fin can.
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2019