Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

This has inspired me to try 3D printing. These are parts Scott Mills designed for a BT-60 Saturn 1B. He states they are a work in progress, but thought I'd give them a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn1B_3D_Print.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  45.9 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
This has inspired me to try 3D printing. These are parts Scott Mills designed for a BT-60 Saturn 1B. He states they are a work in progress, but thought I'd give them a try.
Ah--that's a nice-looking (with good surface details, too) pair of parts!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Craftsman

Quote:

Very nice. Two questions: What are you planning to use for the first stage body tubes and how do we contact Scott?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 AM
Craftsman

Scott is right here, I read this thread pretty regularly and you can also pm me. I don't respond quickly to pm's on thingiverse but u do eventually. Right now I am about Midway through two huge projects for myself. I am creating toy ships for a couple of 3-3/4” vintage SciFi toy lines. By the way I like what was done for the s1b wraps also. I need to go back and finish that model off, I only left it half done.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

I'm going to use a dowel rod as a mandrel and use thin card stock to make the 8 tubes. I'll probably print the black and red lettering on the card stock so I don't have to mask and paint the tubes, just clear coat them.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Scott,

I fully realize you are not done and there are parts to yet create and tweaks to the current parts. And no hurry on you finishing it. For some feedback, the shoulder for the transition is super tight in a BT-60, you have to force it in. I'll sand it down and it will be okay, but you might want to see if you can adjust it a little. The shock cord attachment you incorporated in it is awesome, looks really strong. I'll start a build thread when I get a chance. I'll give you feedback on how it goes. But really super job so far, this is going to make for a great rocket and a really nice size. I saw your Saturn V, looks terrific too, may give that a try. A number of years ago I scratch built a BT-80 based Saturn V with paper wraps and plastruct for the little bits, this 1B will be pretty much the same same scale and a good companion piece. I may build your version 2 of the BT-80 Saturn V as well, I liked the idea in one of the previous posts of printing the wraps in vase mode.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  SaturnV_BT80.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  54.9 KB  

I am SAM # 0167
Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Did you see that yaw control?

Here is my 3D fleet. Bt-60 Jupiter C/Juno 1, Mercury Redstone, and Gemini Titan. All are printed wraps on label paper with cardstock fins. And, the mighty BT-80 Saturn V. The white wraps are also printed label paper. I learned my lesson about priming PLA first on the Sauturn V, the paint wicked into the layer lines and ran all over, but hopefully it will make a good test platform until I get another one printed. The Redstone and the Titan have flown, both flew nicely on a C6-3.

Scott, those are your designs on the Redstone and Gemini capsules, and version 2 of your Saturn V. Thanks for posting all of these, they really turned out nice.

The Jupiter C was a scaled robnee design, along with the fin unit for the Gemini. If you are following this thread too, thanks go out to you as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Nasa Family.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  247.1 KB  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Did you see that yaw control?

Here is another project, a 13mm cardstock Interceptor. Parts were posted by tbastion (Thanks!), and I scaled them to fit the bt-5 airframe. Tracing all the decals was a pain, and a few are missing on this pass, but overall I like the way it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Interceptor.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  145.6 KB  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:35 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
I'm going to use a dowel rod as a mandrel and use thin card stock to make the 8 tubes. I'll probably print the black and red lettering on the card stock so I don't have to mask and paint the tubes, just clear coat them.

Scott, I take back that the transition is a tight fit in a BT-60 for the Sat 1B, bought a better printer and it fits fine. Also discovered if I upscale the fin unit to 103% the inside diameter
then matches a BT-60 and from there I found the Semroc BT-4 from eRockets seems to work well as the tank tubes, 8 of them fit in the BT-60 and the upscaled fin unit.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asennad
Here are a couple of wraps I printed for Scott Mills BT-80 Saturn V (version 2) :https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3192548

I printed the two wraps using vase (or spiral) mode scaled up to 102 percent so that they fit over the BT-80 tube. Spiral mode only prints the outside wall of the item which creates a very nicely detailed and thin wrap.

The second picture is how the model was originally designed with the wraps being structural.

Looks great! What slicer software did you use? Thanks.