Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Craftsman

Default Want info about Interceptor Nose cones

I'm looking for detailed information about the detailed etching on the original Interceptor nose cones. I understand that there are at least three similar cones in the BT55-sized Interceptor family:
* The PNC-55EJ, a two-part injection molded nose that came with the K-50 and the original 1250 Interceptor kits.
* The PNC-50B, a blow-molded nose included with the Vindicator and the USS Pleiades
* The Reissue Interceptor nose cone.

Specifically, I'm looking for one or more of three things:
* Information that the PNC-55EJ has the same fine etched detail as the PNC-50B. I'd hope that if someone has both, they could compare the fine detail of the embossing around the cockpit windshield and elsewhere to see if they match. I know that the embossing of the 50B and the Reissue differ, but I still don't know if the 55EJ has even different details. (I have the 50B, so this knowledge would let me use the 55B pretty much interchangeably with the 55EJ)
* Detailed photos of a real 55EJ from an original K-50 or 1250 so I could compare to my 55B.
* Someone willing to sell me their 55EJ (or loan it for a while so I could collect the detail from it)

FYI, the 55EJ is easy to discern, because it has a flat bottom, with a rounded shock cord mount on the bottom. The 55B has a diagonal slice taken out of the shoulder, with one of the angled shock cord mounts. The Reissue has the same shoulder and shock cord mount as the 55B, but the Reissue has squared etching around the cockpit window, and the 50B has etching that follows the contours of the window.

Oh yeah, the Nose Cone Reference which we should all know about says that the PNC-55B "is the blow molded version of the Interceptor nose, PNC-55EJ". Does that mean that the fine detail is also the same?

Any help?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Glad to assist

If you'll private message an email address to me, I'll send you pix of my original K-50 cone.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Craftsman

I got the information that I was looking for - thanks Dean.

I found that the original 55EJ is different than both the Interceptor Reissue nose and the 55B nose. It is sort of halfway between both of them. It has the deeper engraving of the 55B and the longer gun openings of the 55B, but the other etching is a lot more like the Reissue nose. Another difference is that since the 55EJ was a 2-piece nose with a lengthwise split, the engraving works around the split differently than it does on the Reissue.

I think that I can now use one of them as the starting point, and modify it to reproduce the original 55EJ nose for my model K-50 build.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 PM
frustrated aero

Here's a couple of cropped shots of mine when I built it in 2009. Now that it's painted, those details don't show up so great. I don't have a view from the underside showing the gun ports. The plastic had yellowed over the years It sat in it's bag for 30+ years!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_2562-crop.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  166.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_2571-crop.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  184.4 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Craftsman

In this case, the yellowing of your part benefits my needs. It shows up the etching with greater contrast.

Some differences that appear when compared to the Reissue nose:
* The two squares on the top, down by the shoulder, are more square on the older cone. On the newer Reissue, the molding seam runs between them and they are narrower.
* The cockpit corners are more rounded on the older cone, like they are on the 50B. The reissue has sharper corners on the cockpit edges.
* The hump on the back edge of the cockpit sticks a bit past the edged line that goes around the nose on the older cone. On the Reissue, the cockpit ends abruptly at that line.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM
rosko_racer

DQ:

I have both NCs and made a comparison by running a pencil along the etching. I found out that there are several differences between the original NC (55EJ) and the other one I have, which I think it may be the 55B. The etching on the 55EJ (Green NC) is kinda shallow because of the heavy coat of paint the original owner put on. I like to point out the following differences:

- The four small rectangular etchings, behind the cockpit, on the top are smaller on the 55EJ than on the other NC;
- The frame etching of the cockpit on the 55EJ is wider than on the other NC;
- the square behind the cockpit is also smaller on the 55EJ;
- the circle is also a little smaller on the 55EJ; and
- you already pointed out the differences on the gun port.

Hopefully these pictures can give you a better sense of the differences between these two NCs.

If interested in the 55EJ (Green NC) let me know. I can part with it. PM me if interested.

V/R,

- Raul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20180717_164902.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  406.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180717_165016.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  378.8 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644