Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Avid Builder

Now that I think about it, silvering shouldn't be a problem since I'll be using the white, not clear decal paper. So no MicroSol/Set necessary. Now to see if I remember how to change the background color in Paint.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I'll let this completely dry, touching up any missed spots with the brush, and do the decal work in a couple of days, along with the nose ballast. Almost there.

BAR,

Looks like you're using a standard Estes PNC-60NA. That's the same one I used on my prototype.
So, I went down and measured the nose cone weight (painted and with clay inside).

Comes out to 23g.

I'd still recommend a swing test when done, just to be sure.

Thanks,
EV
Old 04-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Avid Builder

After spending the last three or four days of my spare time trying to draw up a Rocsim file of this design and home printing passable decals, I've come to two conclusions:

1. I ain't no Rocsim guru.
2. I don't have the hardware to print decals that will do this model justice.

When the Rocsim file is done and I get a CP point, then I want at least 1.5X calibers of stability, meaning the CG should be at least 2.4 inches ahead of the CP using the biggest motor. Then I'll compare that to EV's figure, and add more nose weight if needed. Right now the painted nose cone weighs 16 grams.
As for the decals, the yellow is really not showing up very well, even at the highest resolution. Silk screened or ALPS printed decals to go on a black background would be ideal, but out of my reach. So I will be using yellow vinyl tape for the wing bands, and hope the home printed decals show up nicely on that. And I painted a cutting edge on the wings and fins with a silver Sharpie.
Pictures tomorrow (hopefully).
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Avid Builder

I added 7 grams of clay to the nose cone bringing the total weight to 23 grams. Before locking in that amount, I'll wait for the completion of my Rocsim file to get an accurate location for the CP and add more weight if needed to bring the CG in front of that at least 2.4". I wound up painting the yellow bands instead of using vinyl tape. Also did some small mods on decal placement to better show the decals, as they show better on the yellow than the black. Finally, shot a couple of light coats of Rustoleum matte clear. Attached pictures show the final result.

I am now the proud owner of a unique, one of a kind model rocket. If this had gone into production as a kit, I think it would have sold well. Thanks to EV for his support during this build.

I may build a second one with a pop pod motor mount and rear ejection, bringing the rocket nose down instead of on its' pointy fins. We'll see.

Thanks for watching. FIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20180402_190031.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  443.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20180402_190105.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  424.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20180402_190149.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  450.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20180402_190239.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  480.1 KB  
Old 04-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Old School Rocketeer

BAR,

glad you enjoyed the build. Now you've got to fly it!

Later,
EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I am now the proud owner of a unique, one of a kind model rocket. FIN

Correction.....TWO of a kind!