Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The sealed battery is the same one that I use to power my R/C glow-engine Sullivan starter.
Whether it is REALLY for a motorcyle or not, I don't know....it is about 2/3 the size of the batteries used in my jet-skis.

The one you use for R/C can't handle motorcycle duty. It doesn't have enough cranking amps and wouldn't last very long with the vibrations you get on the road. Jet skies might use motorcycle batteries or might even have requirements that require a more specific battery. They'd have the same requirements to turn over a sizable engine and be vibration resistant...and be waterproof. Not sure what else. What are PWC engine sizes? ... around 650 cc to 850 cc?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
...I think both solutions will be pretty nice. It's just a matter of deciding which way to go. I might like to build my own launch pad with a compartment built in for a sealed lead acid. Sort of a custom designed Big Foot with a compartment sized for a sealed lead acid. The problem with that is that I won't have time to work on it for months....
Yep, you need to decide what fits your style - I like to fit stuff in small toolboxes, makes it easier for me to carry stuff to the range. This basic toolbox contains my battery, cables, and homemade launch controller. I keep the charger at home. I put the estes tool thingy there just to give you an idea of size, its 12" long (and warped!). I have the next size up yellow toolbox to keep my launch supplies in. I like the bright yellow too since I'm less likely to leave it at the launch site (I tend to do that ) Now if I could just figure out how to fold up my 4' launch rods in a little case...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LaunchControllerClosed.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  88.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LaunchControllerOpen.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  94.8 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

I'm partial to ammo boxes. The battery is the 7Ah one in my first post link.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
You can't beat one of these. Sears has bigger ones, but much more expensive. They pay for themselves wether on the range, or when you need to jumpstart your car.

Sorry - I'm getting into this conversation a little late - but this type of power supply is what I use, too. It's a sealed lead-acid battery, and is simple as anything to charge. The charger is built in; I just need to plug it into an outlet. It always has more than enough juice to launch anything I throw at it. I was actually looking at getting something like a small motorcycle or lawn tractor battery to use for launches, but then I saw the jumpstarter on sale at Radio Shack; I think I paid about $28 for it. Mine weighs about 8 lbs. Yes, it is a little bit clunky, but then, so is my launch pad. The built-in handle on the battery makes it easy to carry, though. I look at it this way: I just have to schlep it and the pad out to where I set up once. Then I do all the launching I want, all day long. And then I just have to tote it back to the car once. Yes, 8 lbs. may seem like a lot, especially when you are used to just carrying around an Estes Electron Beam launch controller, but it is about the same weight as a small stack of college textbooks. It can easily be carried in a small knapsack, as I have done. My mid-power launch pad weighs about the same, and I never hesitate to take that whenever I head out to launch. And the jumpstarter has other uses as well. For instance, I use it to power anything from a lantern to a DVD player whenever a storm takes out the power in my community, which happens with some regularity.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Forest Sprite

About 9" tall x 7.5" wide x 5" deep at the base (tapering to the top). Approx. 7-8 lbs.

Mark \\.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0619-YORF.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  120.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0618-YORF.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  145.2 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 11-09-2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Original photos were too dark
Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My PWCs do NOT use sealed batteries....they are "normal" wet motorcycle batteries with a vent tube. The DEFINITELY are NOT waterproof. If you flood the interior of the hull they wont work any more than the battery in a flooded boat hull would.
I mentioned them for "size" comparison only.
My R/C battery is a Yuasa sealed 12V battery that looks almost exactly the same size as the one in my brothers Yamaha TW200.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
My PWCs do NOT use sealed batteries....they are "normal" wet motorcycle batteries with a vent tube. The DEFINITELY are NOT waterproof. If you flood the interior of the hull they wont work any more than the battery in a flooded boat hull would.
I mentioned them for "size" comparison only.
My R/C battery is a Yuasa sealed 12V battery that looks almost exactly the same size as the one in my brothers Yamaha TW200.

That's a pretty fancy battery for an R/C prop kicker.

As for the PWC battery....you'd think that they would have the sealed batteries instead of motorcycles!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah, I know my R/C starter battery is pretty "fancy", but it is over 10 years old and is still very alive and kicking.
I would have absolutely no problem spending the ~$80+ for another one as amortized over 10+ years it has cost me less than $8/yr.
Seeing as R/C fuel alone costs about $18+/gal, that's one of my cheapest R/C expenses.

Agree that one would think a PWC battery would be sealed, I have never had a problem with them being "standard" wet cells. Then again, I don't flood my hulls either.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
BAR on the loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
I bought one of these little gems as my 12v source. Charger is built in. All for about 30 bucks.
The bonus is, you have a nice little car jump starter in case of emergency. Has a bright LED Flashlight too. I like the built in handle, makes it easy to tote. Makes a good DC source(or AC to DC converter) for charging cell phones, RC batteries, handheld video games, etc, which I have done on multiple occasions now.

B&D jumpstart battery

I also bought mine recently at Walmart. (my previous one was stolen)

I paid $65 to get the 450 amp version. It has a 19 amp-hr battery (as opposed to a 9 amp-hour in the $35 version) It also has a compressor to inflate tires with.

I have never had it go dead, even on a full day's flying.