Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Forest Sprite

Maybe it works for you, but it sure didn't do so for me. Putting cans of spray paint into a sink partially filled with warm water for a couple of minutes caused my paints to have the same consistency and covering ability as warm milk. IOW, way, way too thin! It ran off not in drips but rather in streams! It's not something that I'll ever do again, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone else. Thorough mixing via vigorous agitation of the can for a sustained period of time just before beginning to spray (and not agitating the can while actually spraying) has always helped me to avoid getting chunks in the spray and spattering during the delivery.

One other condition in which I see spattering and some small chunks of paint is when the can is very nearly empty, and I'm trying to coax the last bit of it out. I use a lot more primer than I use of any top coat, and so I frequently run low. Now I know better not to try to use cans that feel too light or in which the metal balls rattle much too loudly, but at times impatience has overridden good sense.

It doesn't sound like dbrent was dealing with nearly empty paint cans, though. So if none of the things that I mentioned were applicable in his situation (which is possible), then I'm at a loss for an explanation. The only other thing that I can think of that could cause this is very old cans of paint, like 10 years old or more.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not a BAR - I've never quit!

Send a message via AIM to RocketBoy 32
Default Maybe this will help some of you rattlecan faithful

http://artprimo.com/catalog/index.php

Click the link at the top left "Spray Paint Caps"
If your nozzles get all clogged up at least you can get more.
I called and asked them if anyone made a different nozzle
for the new Krylon. Unfortunately, there aren't any on the
market at this time. Booo. The new Krylon nozzles do indeed
suck a lot.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Craftsman

I have the same/similar problems with the Rustoleum Gloss White..Automotive formula. Not as bad as your picture, but very close to it. I would be spraying and then all of a sudden clumps of junk come spraying out and I shook the can for about 3-5 minutes before using it. Funny thing is I would by the same exact paint, but in a different color...(GLOSS RED) and it sprays just fine. Since I've been using Duplicolor I never had any issues. It might be slightly more, but the results are well worth it...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yes. Since EVERY rocket I build gets either a gloss or dull clear coat, I've been starting to shoot most white rockets with semi-gloss, which is far more forgiving than gloss white. Of course, then I have to be careful with decals to prevent "silvering".

I think I will start the switch to semi-gloss and flat colors for any military type rockets of vehicles. I agree that gloss is very unforgiving...I should paint all my rocket flat camo colors...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Craftsman

Another problem I have had is when I clear a rocket that's white..using Duplicolor. I get off white result...kind of dingy color. I only get it with white and no matter how little I use it still happens.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Maybe it works for you, but it sure didn't do so for me. Putting cans of spray paint into a sink partially filled with warm water for a couple of minutes caused my paints to have the same consistency and covering ability as warm milk. IOW, way, way too thin! It ran off not in drips but rather in streams! It's not something that I'll ever do again, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone else. Thorough mixing via vigorous agitation of the can for a sustained period of time just before beginning to spray (and not agitating the can while actually spraying) has always helped me to avoid getting chunks in the spray and spattering during the delivery.

One other condition in which I see spattering and some small chunks of paint is when the can is very nearly empty, and I'm trying to coax the last bit of it out. I use a lot more primer than I use of any top coat, and so I frequently run low. Now I know better not to try to use cans that feel too light or in which the metal balls rattle much too loudly, but at times impatience has overridden good sense.

It doesn't sound like dbrent was dealing with nearly empty paint cans, though. So if none of the things that I mentioned were applicable in his situation (which is possible), then I'm at a loss for an explanation. The only other thing that I can think of that could cause this is very old cans of paint, like 10 years old or more.

I totally agree on the shaking...one other thing I do before I start painting especially if it's a warm day is I leave the can in the sun to bring the temp of the paint up...it seems to spray a lot nicer when it's warm...