Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Thanks, Faithwalker I have read Chris Blog build he did on the MPC Vostok at least five or six times. It is a great read with some good tips. I liked everything about the blog build except the ending where the rocket went unstable.

Thank you dwmzmm I believe you are one of the first guys that have given an account of having this kit back in the 70s. Its good to hear you had a good experience and the flight was stable. The picture is nice to see. Thanks again. I wonder what the C6-2 motor would be equal to what motor today?

Glad you got some tips from the blog!
I would say the rocket is probably stable, it's just underpowered with todays C6-3 engines.
The older engines seemed to have more "oomph!"
A composite 18mm D might be a better choice.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Avid Builder

I applaud your ambition. Like you, I got a MPC Vostok (along with a MPC Titan IIIC and an OOP Estes Cosmos Mariner) with the intent of getting a good flight out of these bricks. Call me a hardhead. Anyway, some thoughts:
1. A liner tube is a good idea, not only to insulate the ejection gas heat, but also to prevent the pressure from blowing apart the glue seams. If I remember correctly I used a BT-20 + tube, which sleeve fits over a BT-20. Erockets might still have it. I think a BT-40 would also work, if you can find one.
2. RE: rear ejection/dual chutes. That would be difficult. There is a small gap between the outboard booster pods and the main body. You would have to insert a small tube to duct the gases between them. And if you use dual chutes and two pods, you would be trying to simultaneously eject both with one charge. Very iffy, ask anyone who has flown the Estes Gemini DC. If you put both chutes in the main body it would help only if the combined volume occupied by the two chutes is less than the one chute it replaces. Maybe folding the chute a little differently would help: a longer thinner package to fit the diameter of the rocket, rather than the traditional burrito style.
3. Re: Aerotech reloads. Do you already have the hardware ? It can be expensive. Reload motors require the casing, forward and aft closures, and the drilling tool to adjust the length of the delay. You will also need to do pre-flight prep (assembly) and post-flight prep (cleaning) for each motor. I used to think gun enthusiasts were a bit fanatic with their constant cleaning of their firearms, but now I know why: the residue from black powder is highly corrosive. It needs to be removed after every use, or the internal metal will pit and corrode. Originally my thinking was to save money by buying the reloads rather than the single use motors. But do the math: if you save a couple of dollars per launch, it would take 15 to 20 launches before you break even and start to save money. Can you do 20 launches and recover your rocket every time? Maybe if you live in the Kansas wheat fields or Arizona desert. Otherwise I would go single use. No assembly, no cleanup, fire and toss.
I wish I could tell you that these launched straight and true, but they have been shelf queens for the past year. The Vostok has been painted, the Titan and Mariner are still naked. One day I'll light them up, but I have to be in my "what the hell" mode. BTW best price I found for the Vostok and Titan is at Hobbylinc, at around $17 each. I'll try attaching a couple of pictures, but since I'm a newbie to posting they may not go through. Wishing you success in your endeavor.[IMG]MPC Titan next to Dr Zooch Soyuz[/IMG] [IMG]Titan IIIC[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mpc vostok.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  545.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mpc titan.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  543.6 KB  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, BARGeezer, sorry it has taken some time to respond to you. I had to do some family business so I have been on the road for a couple days. Being on the road gives me a lot of time to think about the Vostok challenge. Your right you have to me hardheaded to continue to work on such a hard problem of getting a stable flight out of this rocket.

I'm glad you agree about using a liner tube to keep the heat away from the plastic.

My thoughts on the rear ejection I am shelving for the time being. Your right it would require a lot of work and you would be adding more weight to the rear end and that is something we don't need.

I have given the motor the most though and I agree a single use 18mm D size is the way to go. The price is a little pricey but its worth it over the cleaning hassle of the reloads.

Some more thoughts I have come to. I don't want to use the launch lug provided in the kit. I will glue the lunch lug in a different place. I would like to use the engine that is for the display model on the outer four tanks for flight. Some more rear-end weight but hoping the D motor can handle it. I would like to make the flight fins out of clear material the same size as the flight fins provided in the kit but paint the scale size fins on the clear fins for effect.
Your right Hobbylinc has the best price on this kit. In a way, I will be glad to get the holidays over so I can get started on this project. Who knows maybe I can get a little work started on it anyway.

Thank again BARGeezer for your thoughts It helps to hear from another Hardhead.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

I too built the MPC Vostok and made it flightworthy. First thing I did was ignore those silly oversized "flight version" fins. I also omitted the clear plastic part within the interstage truss - trusses are naturally strong and it just isn't needed, especially with the short second stage/capsule length of the Vostok. With a little nose weight, she flew just fine - but recovery was rough. There just isn't room for much in the way of parachutes to bring this heavy brick down safely. Also, would like to have more motor options to push her a little higher. For those reasons, I embarked on another quest...
Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

I was trolling Ebay and came across the 1/72 Soyuz models from Mach 2 (a small French company). Now, I should have done my homework... Should have pulled out the "Alway Bible" and determined if a 1/72 Soyuz would be big enough to host a 24mm motor tube. I just bought the kit and crossed my fingers!

When the kit arrived, I quickly learned two things. First, there was no way I could get a 24mm tube into the core (at least the lower half of the core). 18mm D21 here I come! The second thing I learned was Mach 2 models are really lousy kits - or at least the Soyuz is a lousy kit. Poor molding (I had nozzles completely full of plastic, other plastic parts molded incompletely, and pour plugs EVERYWHERE) and poor fits. Shapes seemed OK overall, but this thing was going to be WORK to produce something that looked remotely good. Good thing I had time off over Christmas! More to follow...
Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Here is the final result, with a standard Red Max for scale. From a distance, the many "warts" are less visible!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20190105_120248.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  811.6 KB  
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

And a close-up of the "business end." I have a D21-4 set aside for her (not sure of the total weight; my postal scale is broken). Worried about recovery. Would love ideas on how to get a lot of parachute into a small volume. Mylar is my first thought...

She separates just below the interstage truss, so the front end is pretty long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20190105_120323.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.59 MB  
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm thinking a 24" mylar chute is your only hope for reasonable recovery short of the " trash bag 'n broom" method. That will be a tight fit.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Master Modeler

The MPC kit is small and heavy for no more room than they give you for motor and recover device.

The MACH II kits are terrible no matter what kit you order from them.

The best solution for a Soyuz flying rocket might be this one. I have started a 100 times it seems like but haven't finished it yet. In fact, I don't know where the parts are. I would have to start all over again.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...k-soyuz.110867/
Old 01-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Avid Builder

I'll be trying a Quest Q-Jet C12-4 in this tomorrow. Will post the results.