Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Opinions on Baseball Pitchbacks?

My son loves baseball. We play together when we can but there are times when he could practice when I'm not there. Specifically, he wants to practice pitching and hopes to play that position next spring.

I had a pitchback as a kid and was thinking of getting him one, but i see a dizzying assortment in a wide price range. When I was a kid I think there maybe three models.

Do any of you have any experiences or opinions on the various brands and models of pitchbacks? I see a range of prices from about $30 up to $200. I certainly won't hit the high end, but I might spend $80 if there's a compelling reason to lay out the extra dough.

For those who don't know or don't remember, a pitchback is a net on a metal tube frame connected to the frame with springs and when you throw a baseball into the net it bounces the ball back to you. By adjusting the angle of the frame, you can cause it to return anything from grounders to pop flies. It's pretty sweet for a kid who wants to be able to pop into the backyard and get a little practice any time the sun is up.

Here's one example of the variety available: Pitchbacks

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:12 PM
BP Mafia

I had one, but it never got much use.
I HIT EVERYTHING!!!
Too bad I ran like I was towing a beer truck.

Forgot to add that I'VE GOT NOTHING as far as advice. Sorry.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 11-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Craftsman

I think we got my son a Spalding pitchback. It's adjustable so you can set the angle of the net. It isn't bad, but I would like for it to have a little more spring to it. It was probably one of the $30 models, but isn't too bad. You could also use it for soccer training as well.
The one I had when I was young had a lever connected to a bell....when you hit the middle of the strike zone it hit it. I wore mine out as a kid. Good luck finding what you want.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Master Modeler

I had good luck with a basic flat one (it may have been a Spalding model) that had a square canvas "target" in the center.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Certified Rocket Nut

The best pitch back that I ever used was our concrete stoop and driveway. I spent countless hours using it, first with a rubber ball, and then with the rubber coated baseballs. Worked great. Even tought me how to catch ground balls. If this is not possible, try making a wall out of plywood and put it in the backyard. Paint a strike zone and have at it.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Master Modeler

Thank you for the information and suggestions, gentlemen. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd like to look at some of them in stores, but it's the wrong time of year to find them in stores. I'll probably nhave to mail order.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Master Modeler

I decided on the Franklin MLB Deluxe Infinite Angle Return Trainer

My son loves it. The only downside is that now, some times, instead of wanting to play catch with me, he wants me to come outside and watch him play with the pitchback. It's supposed to be so that he can practice when I'm not there, not replace me when I am home....