Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Manufacturer

Default AeroTech Product Bulletin 2010-1: J1999N-P Reliability Issue

AeroTech Product Bulletin 2010-1: J1999N-P Reliability Issue

6/15/2010

AeroTech has become aware of a potential issue affecting the reliability of the J1999N-P "Warp-9™" reload kit that fits AeroTech, Dr. Rocket™ and Rouse-Tech™ RMS-54/1280 hardware.

During two rocket "drag races" flown at LDRS-29 held at Lucerne Dry Lake on 6/12/10 and 6/13/10 there were four (4) observed failures of RMS-54/1280 motors loaded with J1999N reloads. All incidents involved ejection of the forward and/or aft closure at or shortly after ignition. It was reported that some or all of these motors used Copper thermite or large pyrogen-tipped initiators for ignition. AeroTech believes that this and other factors may have contributed to the failures, but until AeroTech has performed additional research and investigation into the incidents we cannot yet arrive at a definitive explanation.

AeroTech's dealers are requested not to sell, and consumers are advised not to operate J1999N reloads until further notice. AeroTech is now in the process of designing and testing a revised version of the J1999N that will have demonstrated acceptable reliability, with specific instructions concerning approved ignition methods and assembly procedures.

Once the revised J1999N is approved by Tripoli Motor Testing (TMT), AeroTech anticipates that it will produce a "repair kit" that consumers possessing unfired J1999N reloads will be able to obtain at no cost through any authorized AeroTech high-power dealer. This kit will likely include one or more replacement propellant grains as well as additional components and revised instructions. More specific terms and conditions of the product upgrade will be forthcoming. As always, AeroTech will honor valid warranty claims for all its products including the J1999N.

Customers with questions concerning this product bulletin may contact AeroTech at 435-865-7100 or via email at customerservice@aerotech-rocketry.com. AeroTech appreciates its customers' patience and understanding as we work to resolve this issue.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is a division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc., Cedar City, UT.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Master Modeler

I'm glad to see, but am not surprised, that Aerotech is on top of this.

From what I've read, LDRS wasn't much fun this year, and a Discover channel camera team was there to tape it.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

I'm glad to see, but am not surprised, that Aerotech is on top of this.

From what I've read, LDRS wasn't much fun this year, and a Discover channel camera team was there to tape it.

Call me cynical, but a bad day for a rocketeer is a good day for a TV crew. I suspect that the spectacular CATOs and ballistic recoveries made the media's day, just like NASCAR crashes. Will I watch it? I hope to, and likely with chips and dip. What will be interesting, when LDRS 2010 finally airs, is to read how the people who were there found the coverage.

Greg