Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Master Modeler

Default Old Yeller

Many of us deal with older kits and the attendant yellowing of the lacquer clearcoat on the decals. Over time the clear becomes a grizzled yellow that is promininet on all but the darkest of backgrounds. Home brew decals are a pain since the yellow invariably is picked up in the scan, and the underlying detail may become lost.

In reading through some of the scale model forums (FSM and hyperscale) there is a technique to bleach the clearcoat back to reasonable clarity prior to application. It is very simply solar bleaching. The decals are placed into a dry bag (zip loc seems to be the preferred) in as low a humidity environment as possible. This bag is then placed in a prominent southern facing window. Dependent upon your latitude and the time of year, the bleaching can occur in days to weeks - but care needs to be exercised since the difference between a bleached clear coat and bleached colour is extremely fine. The absecnce of humidity is an imperative or the adhesive may be activated while in the bag. Also you would not want to overlap sheets or stack them.

I am not suggesting that we should stop pursuing after market decals or replacements. There are far too many quality vendors that have really good product. But when all other possibilities are exhausted this may work to provide you with the markings you need.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I've heard of the sun-bleaching method from others as well for decals. I didn't hear anything about putting them in plastic bags though.

To keep the humidity down you could put one of those tasty silica gel packs in the bag.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Master Modeler

I think that the bag is to protect the naked decal from any condensation that may accumulate on the glass.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

It works quite well. I've cleared up decals several times by taping them in the window.

I have never used a plastic bag, but I have double pane windows and haven't needed to go that route. It shouldn't be a problem in the summer anyway, as condensation will be on the outside of the window.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Master Modeler

I think there are at least three variables that come into play in terms of how long this takes. The level of discoloration in the lacquer, the duration of sunlight your window receives during the day, and the relative intensity of the sunlight. I read everything from three weeks in Vermont to a couple of days in Jacksonville.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Living in the northern half of a duplex, I have no southern facing windows - so I just tell people that "yellowed" is my color scheme

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
Living in the northern half of a duplex, I have no southern facing windows - so I just tell people that "yellowed" is my color scheme

Put it on the dashboard of your car while you are at work...unless you are one of the lucky few with an assigned covered parking space.

Bill
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think there are at least three variables that come into play in terms of how long this takes. The level of discoloration in the lacquer, the duration of sunlight your window receives during the day, and the relative intensity of the sunlight. I read everything from three weeks in Vermont to a couple of days in Jacksonville.

Don't go by any formula or anybody's set recommendation on length of time. Just check it each day until the yellowing is gone. That will cover all three variables.