Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
As for the parachute getting scorched and torn......for scorching, make sure you use enough wadding. Usually three or four loosely crumpled squares inside before the parachute. This is a short rocket so you aren't going to have much room. I'd use a dowel or pencil to push each piece down in the tube as far as it will go without forcing them in. Torn chute.....normally caused because the rocket is going fast when the ejection charge occurs (which is what it sounds like in your case). Some things to help minimize chute shredding is to use a longer shock cord (manufactured kits are notorious for using shock cords that are too short). Also, use care when folding and inserting the chute into the rocket. I like to spike my chute, then fold the shround lines onto the lower third of the chute, then roll the chute sides over the shroud line, then fold the chute (starting with the tip) into thirds (gee this is kinda hard to explain), then wrapping the shock cord around the folded parachute and insert into body tube. I know there's gotta be a picture of this out there somewhere.....

Anyway, let me know how you make out and I'll see if I can find a web page that explains the chute folding better. Good luck.

Don

I have a Quest M2Q2, and it's a really short rocket with a 20 mm OD body tube. There's barely enough room in there for the parachute and shock cord as it is, although I probably made my shock cord about twice the standard length. Mine has flown okay the 2 or 3 times I've flown it, but the parachute has gotten scorched each time. I have that problem with *every* small-diameter rocket I own, and I use at least 4 sheets of wadding every time.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Check your launch lug and make sure it's straight and the inside is free of excessive paint. Both of these could cause the rocket to hang on the launch rod. Also, check the launch rod and make sure the rocket will slide easily on it. You might need to rub it down with steel wool, sand paper, etc. to remove rust (assuming a steel rod), tape residue or exhaust residue. If these are all okay, the only thing I can think of is that the motor was bad (some one else can add their two cents if I missed something here).

I not only use steel wool, but spray a little silicone lubricant spray on a paper towel and rub the rod down with it. Then use a dry one to wipe it down again to remove any excess. It helps keep the enamel painted launch lug from "catching" or "sticking". Use sparingly, it doesn't take much.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
I have a Quest M2Q2, and it's a really short rocket with a 20 mm OD body tube. There's barely enough room in there for the parachute and shock cord as it is, although I probably made my shock cord about twice the standard length. Mine has flown okay the 2 or 3 times I've flown it, but the parachute has gotten scorched each time. I have that problem with *every* small-diameter rocket I own, and I use at least 4 sheets of wadding every time.

An earlier post mentioned that the rocket may not have been stable. Did you have to add any nose weight? What motor have you been using? I've got a kit but haven't put it together yet and since you've already been there, looking for some lessons learned....

Don
NAR 53455