Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Default Centuri Point

I finally broke out an old Centuri kit I've had sitting around for 20+ years and built it. Took less than 5 hours and it looks kind of neat , except for the cockpit decal screwup and you have to look closely to see that. I plan on launching it sometime in the next week or two. Has anyone built and flown it before? It says B4-2 only, but how will it do on a B6-2 or has anyone ever tried it? AND...before anyone asks, no photos to post, I have not yet joined the 21st century and bought a digital camera!

Joe W
Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Haven't built one, but did see one fly a couple of times. Unknown what motors were used, but it flew well and had a nice wide smoke trail coming from the cone.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I had a Point many moons ago. I have flown clones for years and have several color copies of the shrouds and nose cones from BMS and Semroc to build more.
A B6-2 will work, but I think the B4-2 is preferable due to the longer burn. I have flown them with C6-3's also. I'd have to go back and check, but I don't know if the C6-3 was even available back when the Point was offered. Then again, the C6-3 might have been available and the packaging just was never updated.

Chas
NAR 9790
Old 09-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
I finally broke out an old Centuri kit I've had sitting around for 20+ years and built it. Took less than 5 hours and it looks kind of neat , except for the cockpit decal screwup and you have to look closely to see that. I plan on launching it sometime in the next week or two. Has anyone built and flown it before? It says B4-2 only, but how will it do on a B6-2 or has anyone ever tried it? AND...before anyone asks, no photos to post, I have not yet joined the 21st century and bought a digital camera!

Joe W

I have a Point clone I built a couple of years ago, and it is one of my favorite models! You can fly it on B4-2, B6-2, or C6-3 motors. Mine has probably 20 flights on it and I'm noticing it is coming apart at the seams a little ;-)

The only thing that happens is sometimes a still-burning chunk of ejection charge will lodge against the paper cone and burn a hole through it. Other than that it's a great model.

Kurt
Old 09-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
I have a Point clone I built a couple of years ago, and it is one of my favorite models! You can fly it on B4-2, B6-2, or C6-3 motors.

Heh, Plankton boy.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I had a Point many moons ago. I have flown clones for years and have several color copies of the shrouds and nose cones from BMS and Semroc to build more.
A B6-2 will work, but I think the B4-2 is preferable due to the longer burn. I have flown them with C6-3's also. I'd have to go back and check, but I don't know if the C6-3 was even available back when the Point was offered. Then again, the C6-3 might have been available and the packaging just was never updated.

Chas
NAR 9790

I still have my original Point from Centuri, and it still flies! You can use a C6-3, but be aware
that the extra power will really strain the structure of the model, especially the cone
shroud. The last time I used a C6-3 (within the past year), the angle of the launch was so
that I could see the Point almost from underneath, and the cone shroud looked like it wanted to buckle due to the excessive force.

Also be aware that the excessive ejection charge of Estes engines will probably cause the
shock cord to snap. If your Point is balanced (with luck), it should almost glide down with
little or no damage (been there, done that!).
Old 09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
I have a Point clone I built a couple of years ago, and it is one of my favorite models! You can fly it on B4-2, B6-2, or C6-3 motors. Mine has probably 20 flights on it and I'm noticing it is coming apart at the seams a little ;-)

Kurt

Kurt,

nice to see you on the boards!

I've seen Kurt's Point fly, and it's a great little performer.

Later,
EV
Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

I flew the point today twice on B4-2's both times. The first one dinged a hole in the shroud when it ejected. A little scotch tape fixed that and I launched it again. It flew very well both times and landed softly in the advertised manner.

Joe W.

PS...Hey Chas! John Brohm of PSC473 has an OSU rocket. It looks like a Sumo in Buckeye drag. Very nice looking, but he refuses to launch it, calling it a permanent "hanger queen". Told me to keep any Longhorn rockets away from it!