Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2005, 09:24 AM
SAROS Past President

Default Building a Centuri X-21 clone

I've started working on building a clone of the Centuri X-21, whose plans are available here at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe at http://www.oldrocketplans.com/centu...1/cenKBG-21.pdf

One of the things I've noticed is that the wing section can be cut out as one piece instead of as three (Main Wing, Insert, and Runner pieces) by using 4"-wide balsa. This simplifies assembly and, I think, strengthens the rear edge of the wing with a better grain orientation.

A full-size single-piece Main Wing pattern is attached as a .tif file. The pattern includes a 1" square as a dimension reference.

From the original wing pattern, there is a reference mark showing where to mount the under-wing runner. The mark is about 1/16" wide, so I'm assuming that the original kit's balsa sheets were 1/16" thick by 3" wide.

The root edge of the Main Wing, is 5" long. From the assembly diagram, the main body tube appears to be a BT-20 that is 5-1/4" to 5-3/16" long. However, the instructions specify that the motor block is mounted one full engine length in the main body tube. I prefer being able to grip the back end of the motor in case I have to pull it out of there, so I cut the main body to 5" long, mounted the motor block with 3/16" of the motor sticking out, and mounted the wings 3/16" back from the front of the main body.

The wing mounting jig appears to have originally been die-cut from cardboard, apparently about 1/16" thick. I put it together with 1/16" balsa.

I plan to cut the elevon hinges out of a mailing envelope made out of Tyvek. I've had great success with this stuff so far with other glider projects.

The clip for the elevon tension cord is a mystery. The exposed end of it appears in the Bottom View of the assembly drawing, but its shape is not clearly visible. The length of the inserted part of the clip is not mentioned or drawing anywhere. Any suggestions?

The launch lug looks to be about 1-3/4" long from the assembly drawing.

The control stop wires and aluminum tubes are a bit of a mystery as well. I'm thinking that some suitably pliable wire will do the job.

From the length of the root edge of the Forward Wing, the payload section is 2" of BT-20-diameter payload section. I thought the local hobby shop had a few (recent) Estes X-Ray kits around, which include a BT-20-diameter payload section, though I don't know if the tube is 2". I can't find plans for these kits anywhere on the Internet, so I can't find out. If I can't find an X-Ray kit to bash, the payload section will be a standard, boring BT-20 tube.
Attached Files
File Type: tif x21_wing.tif (44.4 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by surdumil : 10-02-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:06 AM
SAROS Past President

Here's a picture of the wing-mounting jig... pretty nifty structure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_jig.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  5.8 KB  
Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by surdumil
The root edge of the Main Wing, is 5" long. From the assembly diagram, the main body tube appears to be a BT-20 that is 5-1/4" to 5-3/8" long...

From the length of the root edge of the Forward Wing, the payload section is 2" of BT-20-diameter payload section.

Since this was a Centuri design, that should be ST-7 body tubing. Carl at SEMROC has ST-7 in both the spiral paper and the clear tubing. You want to look at CPT-722, which is 2.25" long, for the payload body. Carl also has the ST-760, which is a 6" length of ST-7. If the original was shorter, just trim it down...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Since this was a Centuri design, that should be ST-7 body tubing. Carl at SEMROC has ST-7 in both the spiral paper and the clear tubing. You want to look at CPT-722, which is 2.25" long, for the payload body. Carl also has the ST-760, which is a 6" length of ST-7. If the original was shorter, just trim it down...

You can buy just about every part you need for the X-21, except the hinge material, from this link:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=489
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-02-2005, 02:50 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

"I plan to cut the elevon hinges out of a mailing envelope made out of Tyvek. I've had great success with this stuff so far with other glider projects."

that's a good idea, never heard that before, but the Tyvek is tough, have used for kite covering before, but taped on .

which brings me to a question - what do you glue the tyvek on with ? epoxy ?

~ AL

thinks the X-21 is 'neat enough' just might have to add to the buikld pile myself :-)
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 PM
SAROS Past President

Hi Al,

I've been using yellow glue and white glue for bonding Tyvek to balsa. This has been successful so far.

Here's a picture of the main wings mounted on the body, still sitting on the mounting jig.

The elevons are mounted, but the hinge material is not shown. This is because the mounting jig is designed to be used with the glider's belly side up, as mentioned in the "GLUE WINGS TO FUSELAGE TUBE" step of the X-21 assembly instructions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  x21_wings_on.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  8.2 KB  

Last edited by surdumil : 10-02-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Need to fix the grammar
Old 10-02-2005, 04:17 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
You can buy just about every part you need for the X-21, except the hinge material, from this link:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=489

Somehow, I figured Carl had this on his site...

Thank for the reminder, Scott...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
SAROS Past President

Here are a couple of pictures of the X-21 on its mounting jig, with main wings, elevons, bottom root stress support, under wing runner, and bottom stabilizers installed.

The X-21 is starting to look real interesting. The runners and stress supports add some interesting detail, but the stabilizers add some really impressive wing area. From the side, it looks quite x-plane'ish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  x21_main_belly_side.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  21.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_main_belly.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  10.8 KB  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 PM
SAROS Past President

Here are some pictures of the completed main body. Missing items include the elevon tension cord, elevon release line, and release clip.

This model has a serious amount of balsa surface area. Smoothing all that balsa is going to be a long haul.

Next, the nose/payload section needs parts collection and assembly. The main body requires very few difficult-to-find components. The release clip and the balsa bulkhead are about all there is. However, the nose/payload section wants a long balsa plug, a long balsa nose cone, and a 2" 18mm payload section. The balsa stuff can be easily turned. The payload section will need a lucky kit bash, or a substitution with an opaque tube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  x21_main_side.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  11.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_main_rear.jpg
Size:  8.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_main_front.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  6.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_main_top.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  8.8 KB  
Old 10-09-2005, 04:59 PM
SAROS Past President

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Anyhow, I've manage to bring the pieces together to build the payload section.

I bought an Extes X-Ray kit, which has a 2.75" BT-20-diameter payload section. It cut it down to 2" for the X-21.

The balsa connector was very simple to create with a toy lathe. The nose cone took quite a bit more time, being such a long beast.

Attached are images of the lathe, the nose cone in various stages of completion, payload section parts, the assembled payload, and the structurally complete X-21 model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  x21_lathe_start.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  9.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_lathe_shaping.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  3.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_lathe_almost.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  9.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_payload_parts.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  5.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_payload_section.jpg
Size:  4.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  x21_full_top.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  6.0 KB  

Last edited by surdumil : 10-09-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Change images to lower resolution to save storage