Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Hello

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out to my fellow rocketeers. My name is Andy and I am new to the sport. I am totally hooked. My family and I went to the last Richard Bong HPR launches and we had such a great time. Even my wife really enjoyed herself. We couldn't believe how exciting it was to watch the big boys fly. I have been building the low powered rockets now for a couple months, but after seeing the big boys, I really want to start a new winter project building a HPR. I am hoping to join WOOSH soon and hopefully meet some of you guys and start learning. I've been obsessively reading articles, newsletters, blogs, and watching videos so I have a general idea about how things work. I'm sure there are all kinds of tips and tricks that can only come with experience and help. I would really like to go for my level 1 certification next year when the HPR launces start up again. I live in Random Lake so its a little hike to get to some meetings, but I'm gonna try real soon. So once again, Hi Yall and I look forward to meeting some of you soon!!!

Andy
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Hi Andy, welcome.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybside
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out to my fellow rocketeers. My name is Andy and I am new to the sport. I am totally hooked. My family and I went to the last Richard Bong HPR launches and we had such a great time. Even my wife really enjoyed herself. We couldn't believe how exciting it was to watch the big boys fly. I have been building the low powered rockets now for a couple months, but after seeing the big boys, I really want to start a new winter project building a HPR.
Hi, Andy,

Welcome! It's fun to hear from new rocketeers. Mostly you'll read about low power stuff here - the group is mainly into classic model rockets from the earlier years of the hobby - but a few of us fly some HPR, and talk about it some here, so you'll fit right in.

Your enthusiasm shines thru your post quite clearly. It's infectious. Glad you made it.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Out to launch...

Hola, welcome to the insanity! Been a while since I've been to Random Lake, the Eagle's Nest still kickin? Spent a few long nights there. If you thought the last launch at Bong was good, wait till some people actually show up! Last month's launch had a rather small turnout, it get's way busier than that. The meetings are tough to get to for many, being during the week. I'd encourage you to try to get to some of our small field launches to meet and mingle- they happen twice a month, rocket season never stops around here. You'll find the WOOSH group to have a very broad base of knowledge covering all aspects of rocketry - from finishing balsa to packing a 20' parachute. Nothing is too small or too big! Look forward to catching you and family at a launch sometime.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Master Modeler

Welcome!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 09-16-2013, 06:01 PM
BAR 13790

Welcome - Enjoy
And as you enter the realm of HPR, hold onto your wallet!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Craftsman

hmmm, lets see. you say that you would like to get your level 1 in January...best start building now . I would suggest that one of the Estes pro series 2 birds would give you a decent intro into the world of high power rocketry building techniques. you might want to investigate G. Harry Stine's Handbook of Model Rocketry and look into rocket design software ( Open Rocket is FREE). pace yourself and have fun.
Rex
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Craftsman

Welcome..you will find great people here and lots of good Rocket info.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Welcome Andy....Good luck with that future level one project. Greg
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

To quote our own Craig McGraw: "Welcome to the asylum."
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014