Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Larry-

Thanks for the post.....I actually have a complete LIA-100 and the instructions are scanned and posted in my first message of this thread.

In that first message, I was asking if anyone had the larger blast deflector that came with that launcher, as my LIA-100 came with the smaller deflector used on the LIA-77. I think Centuri may have used the same deflector for both launchers in their latter years, but I would really like to find an original larger deflector for my LIA-100 or someone who has one who can provide photos and dimensions of one.

Does your LIA-100 have the larger deflector by chance? Would be great if you can post photos/measurements if you do.

Thanks,

Earl

Earl,
As far as I know, the LIA-100 used the same size blast deflector as the LIA-77.
I'm not 100% certain, but I feel that looking for a larger /scaled up version of the LIA-77 blast deflector just doesn't exist. But I would be glad to be proven wrong on this.

I'm planning on making a few exact clones of the LIA-100 for myself very soon.

Larry B
Old 03-12-2015, 01:14 PM
frustrated aero

Attached is a drawing of a measured ID-77 blast deflector and the flat layout generated by SolidWorks. The ID-100 is my SWAG scaled from the different sized bases. If anybody comes across an actual ID-100 and can provide those overall dimensions of the folded geometry, I will revise this drawing.

**Edit** I found an error in the model when I added the holes for the wooden micro clip block. I revised the ID-77 dimensions (and rescaled the ID-100). The pdf file attached has been updated...

**Edit 2** The actual ID-100 dimensions are in this post #70
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CenturiBlastDeflector.pdf (56.8 KB, 137 views)
Get yer Barrowmans here

Last edited by rocketguy101 : 07-05-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Attached is a drawing of a measured ID-77 blast deflector and the flat layout generated by SolidWorks. The ID-100 is my SWAG scaled from the different sized bases. If anybody comes across an actual ID-100 and can provide those overall dimensions of the folded geometry, I will revise this drawing.

David,
I have my LIA-100 metal blast deflector plate right in front of me. It has 3 factory drilled holes in the base of the deflector. 2 holes are for the wood riser block that the 2 micro clip leads attach to, and the other factory drilled hole is for the launch rod.

Your scaled up version of the LIA-77 blast deflector looks just fine. My only issue is that as far as I know, a larger than the LIA-77 blast deflector for the LIA-100 never existed.

However a larger version definitely would have been a good idea.

Larry
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
David,
I have my LIA-100 metal blast deflector plate right in front of me. It has 3 factory drilled holes in the base of the deflector. 2 holes are for the wood riser block that the 2 micro clip leads attach to, and the other factory drilled hole is for the launch rod.

Your scaled up version of the LIA-77 blast deflector looks just fine. My only issue is that as far as I know, a larger than the LIA-77 blast deflector for the LIA-100 never existed.

Larry

yeah, I left the holes for the wood block out of laziness...the original flat layout drawing was for a friend who has a shear and brake, and was making some for our club...our Pratt firing system bypassed what would be the Centuri micro clips...I guess for archival purposes, I should document those holes and model the block in CAD too...
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
David,

Larry

Larry-

If you look at the instruction set for the LIA-100 (your own copy or the scanned one I posted at the start of this thread), the deflector is listed as part number ID-100. The deflector for the smaller LIA-77 launcher was, logically enough, ID-77. And, the ID-100 was listed at a higher price than the cost of the ID-77.

Also, if you go to the 1969 catalog, there is a page with the Saturn V and Saturn 1b kits on the LIA-100 and LIA-77 launchers, respectively, sitting side by side. Looking at that photo, it does look like the deflector on the LI-100 launcher is larger.

So, my conclusion from the above is that -- at one time -- the LIA-100 came with a different, larger deflector. At some point later on, they may, for cost-cutting purposes, have gone to just one deflector to be used on both launchers, but it does seem they originally had different deflectors.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Larry-

If you look at the instruction set for the LIA-100 (your own copy or the scanned one I posted at the start of this thread), the deflector is listed as part number ID-100. The deflector for the smaller LIA-77 launcher was, logically enough, ID-77. And, the ID-100 was listed at a higher price than the cost of the ID-77.

Also, if you go to the 1969 catalog, there is a page with the Saturn V and Saturn 1b kits on the LIA-100 and LIA-77 launchers, respectively, sitting side by side. Looking at that photo, it does look like the deflector on the LI-100 launcher is larger.

So, my conclusion from the above is that -- at one time -- the LIA-100 came with a different, larger deflector. At some point later on, they may, for cost-cutting purposes, have gone to just one deflector to be used on both launchers, but it does seem they originally had different deflectors.

Earl

Earl,
Thanks for pointing out the exact part #s ID-77 for the LIA-77, and ID-100 for the LIA-100 launch pads.
You may be correct, in that Centuri may have put the ID-77 blast deflector in with later LIA-100 launch pads. Or, a larger than ID-77 blast deflector was never made.

Kind of like the elusive Centuri KC-9A T-Bird. Have you or anyone ever seen a KC-9A T-Bird?

Larry
Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM
frustrated aero

When I added the two drilled holes Larry pointed out, I found some errors in the model, so I have corrected the drawing in post 32
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
When I added the two drilled holes Larry pointed out, I found some errors in the model, so I have corrected the drawing in post 32

That looks pretty close -- from best I can tell from catalog photos/images -- as to size of the LIA-100 deflector. At about double the catalog price of the ID-77, I suspect the ID-100 actually did exist. But it does seem that at some point, probably in the early 70s after the Damon buyout in early '71, that Centuri may have gone to the ID-77 for both as a cost-cutting measure.

I'm still keeping an eye out for an ID-100 though....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Craftsman

Earl,

I've come across an original Centuri ID-100 Igniter-Deflector (blast deflector) for the LIA-100 Heavy Duty Launcher. I can gladly provide dimensions for David (rocketguy101) to model in SolidWorks. The overall formed height is 4" tall. Attached is a photo of the ID-100 Deflector vs. the ID-77 Deflector.

Kind regards,
Jeff
aka: Faithwalker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_ID-100_ID-77_comparison.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  67.3 KB  
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Craftsman

Cool!! I have an original LIA-77, but I have never seen the LIA-100 (other than photos). Thanks for sharing, and dimensions would be appreciated.