Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Almost shovel ready

Default The Ripoff Forum

My friend Bill Cook of Maryland is the inventor and manufacturer of the Fly Away Rail Guide system. His invention was chronicled in Apogee Component's Peak of Flight newsletter and is currently being marketed by AMW Pro-X.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/educa...wsletter387.pdf

http://cart.amwprox.com/index.php?o..._category_id=69

Bill is one smart engineer and a heck of a nice person. It's a shame (but no surprise to me) that the ripoff artists who prowl TRF are given free reign to steal the work of others and exploit it for a fast buck. Shame.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...t=rail%20guides
Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Good grief,

Neither one of those guys INVENTED fly-away rail guides. i'm not sure when fly-away RAIL guides were invented, or just who (Tim VanMilligan publicised them but not sure if he was the first to do raail-specific fly-way guides).

But fly-away LUGS have existed for decades (Possibly Art Rose in the 1980's, not sure though).

Back to these two, they are different designs. It's not like one is a clone of the other, similar concept, not the same design.

Might as well accuse Art Applewhite of ripping off the Centuri UFO Flying Saucer, with so many of his saucer-type rockets.

Or accuse anyone who invented a fin jig , of ripping off Howard Kuhn?

Pretty much the main thing you did though was try to invent an excuse to bash another rocket forum that you don't like, because a person posted info there about their product?.

Do you expect that if Additive Aerospace posted the same information about their fly-away rail guides here on YORF, that the thread would be DELETED?

Actually, what you did end up doing was making more people aware of Additive Aerospace's products.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 11-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Almost shovel ready

Oh no George! You've got me all wrong. I like The Rocketry Forum. I just have no use for people like you.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Good grief,

But fly-away LUGS have existed for decades (Possibly Art Rose in the 1980's, not sure though).

FWIW, I used a fly-away RAIL guide in ~1977. I doubt I was the first.

edit: Now that I think of it, you probably saw that rail George, at N20. Though I didn't fly it, it was on my Astrobee-D, which used a scale rail split-band. I used that rail for several other models, but again, not at N20.

Last edited by vcp : 11-17-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Oh no George! You've got me all wrong. I like The Rocketry Forum. I just have no use for people like you.

LOL SO true!!!

Well, except that part about liking the Terribly Run Forum...

OL J R
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Almost shovel ready

Lest there be any misunderstanding I must add the following.

I posted about this matter here because I have apparently been banned from posting on The Rocketry Forum (TRF). And to clarify, I am aware that William F. "Bill" Cook is not the inventor of the concept of "fly away rail guides". However, he did in fact create, build and market his version of a fly away rail guide and this was extensively discussed on TRF. Perhaps George missed those posts and perhaps Andrew of Additive Aerospace missed them as well?

In any event, the Additive Aerospace version appears to be nothing more than copy of Bill Cook's design. While this may be perfectly legal, it most certainly would be unethical.

Perhaps I should call my little invention "The Rose Fin Jig"? After all, Art Rose is dead and apparently never patented his design, so who cares, right?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Rocket Huckster

Being banned from that place is a badge of honor be proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Lest there be any misunderstanding I must add the following.

I posted about this matter here because I have apparently been banned from posting on The Rocketry Forum (TRF). And to clarify, I am aware that William F. "Bill" Cook is not the inventor of the concept of "fly away rail guides". However, he did in fact create, build and market his version of a fly away rail guide and this was extensively discussed on TRF. Perhaps George missed those posts and perhaps Andrew of Additive Aerospace missed them as well?

In any event, the Additive Aerospace version appears to be nothing more than copy of Bill Cook's design. While this may be perfectly legal, it most certainly would be unethical.

Perhaps I should call my little invention "The Rose Fin Jig"? After all, Art Rose is dead and apparently never patented his design, so who cares, right?
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
Being banned from that place is a badge of honor be proud

Absolutely...

Later! OL J R