Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 AM
7/21/61

Default Estes Plastic Ball

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Soft plastic, hollow, doesn't look to have been part of anything else.

Advertising give-away?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3298.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  78.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3299.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  83.0 KB  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM
BP Mafia

Being that it's from China I'd guess it's a sales sample. Some company showing what else they could do besides kits and chutes.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Master Modeler

AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-14-2017, 01:45 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Now THAT'S something I never thought about.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Bernard,

Fantastic!

I knew somebody here would have the answer.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Master Modeler

You're welcome.

It rang a bell because I'd gotten one of these air rocket sets for my granddaughter a year or two ago....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I'm relieved--for a moment I thought I might have to have my pain medication changed (like the first time I suddenly heard frogs "riveting" while in line at a local Post Office years ago, and it was someone's cellphone ring tone), or that Estes was, somehow, introducing a new line of anti-gravity UFO models... :-) That's a cleverly-designed--and attractively styled, too--pneumatic rocket "plunger." Also:

Back in the 1970s, department stores sold a launch complex-styled "stomp rocket" set that had a tube launcher with an accordion-type cylinder made of blow-molded flexible plastic, which one stamped on hard in order to blast the rubber-tipped plastic rockets into the air. Several kids in my neighborhood in Miami (including myself) had them, and the rockets could go surprisingly high, but the accordion-cylinder always soon cracked along the mold-seam line (the same line that can be seen on many blow-molded plastic bottles), rendering the launcher useless.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Craftsman

It looks like it could fit on a car antenna too, or replace your fuzzy dice.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 PM
BAR

Well, "stomp rockets" have their following, as do "water rockets"... I've done both with the 4H in Indiana when my SIL was still a 4-H agent...

I've even got some paper models that a guy sent me one time on my hard drive, that can be printed off and built like any other paper model, designed to fit over and be launched from PVC pipe launchers to which a readily available 2 liter pop bottle can be affixed to a pipe extension, which is then stomped on to create the blast of air to launch the rocket off the PVC pipe (over which it fits with a close slip fit... One guy on the paper modelers forum even built a Saturn V stomp rocket launched in just this way, or by a tank of compressed air delivered by ball valve and hose to the PVC launcher pipe, as one so chose... IIRC some guys were saying they can fly up to about a hundred feet-- recovery is of course by featherweight recovery-- ie it "streamlines in" but it's SO light that unless it's landing on concrete it usually suffers little/no damage...

We used to do water rockets for the 4-H as well, and I even helped her put on a demonstration for some disadvantaged kids at the library in the next town over in Indiana... We had a launcher made with some PVC pipe components (a long gray PVC "sprinkler riser" pipe served as compressed air delivery pipe and launch rod up inside the regular 2 liter water bottle "propellant tank" holding the water and compressed air). The simplest rockets had a simple paper cone and cardboard fins attached directly the outside of the 2 liter pop bottle, but there's no reason a cardstock body could not be fashioned to fit over the pop bottle to make the rocket into whatever shape/size (so long as it's large enough to contain the pop bottle "fuel tank") one would desire, and attach the fins to the outside of it like a standard model rocket. Recovery is difficult-- with no "ejection charge" designed into the motor, there's nothing to "pop out a parachute" for a controlled recovery... but with the proliferation of microelectronics, even that has been overcome, as there are recovery timers employing various methods to eject a recovery device at the appropriate time, and indeed even staging of water rockets is now possible... We even used a launch pad set to about a 20 degree angle (so the rockets land safely downrange, since a falling 2 liter pop bottle can come in with enough speed that it could hurt if it hit you)... This consisted of a "U" shaped wire that fit snugly over the "ring" on the top of the 2 liter pop bottle directly under the threaded portion of the neck onto which the cap is screwed... the U shaped wire fit through holes drilled for it in a PVC coupler (about a 1.25-1.5 inch PVC pipe coupler) into which the "launch rod" gray PVC irrigation riser was threaded... the pop bottle rocket with it's water "propellant" was slid over this irrigation riser, which had an O-ring slid over it to provide a seal, and the rocket was pushed down firmly against the O-ring, and the U-shaped wire clip inserted through the holes in the PVC coupler, effectively "locking" the bottle snugly to the PVC pipe/coupler assembly. Then compressed air was injected into the 2 liter bottle via an air valve and appropriate fittings, from either a compressed air tank or small compressor (I used my emergency "micro-compressor" from my trunk to power the launch demonstration we gave-- it worked surprisingly well!) Once the rocket achieved whatever "propellant pressure" (air pressure) in the bottle that was desired, the "U" clip would be rapidly yanked out by a rope attached to it turning 90 degrees over a roller and down to a "launch pedal" made into the base of the launcher... when the clip was ripped out, the compressed air forced the water out and then vented out the "nozzle" of the rocket, propelling it skyward.

We did an experiment with the last launch; I wanted to see just how much pressure a 2 liter pop bottle could contain... we had worked our way up to 90 PSI pretty methodically, so I loaded it up and set it up and hooked the compressor up and let her run, since it was "labeled" as being capable of 125 PSI... I think we got somewhere around 110-115 PSI when the U-shaped heavy wire simply spread enough under the strain to allow the bottle "lock ring" to slip out from under it and launch itself... and it was a pretty darn impressive flight I must say!

We never did actually find out the burst pressure rating of a pop bottle...

Later! OL J R
Old 11-09-2017, 11:30 PM
BAR

Here was Keira's entry in the 4-H county fair's "water rocket" competition a number of years ago... made with Dad's help, but she did the decoration work and most of the ideas were hers... I just helped with the paper modeling part...

It's a "Darth Vader" water rocket... His boots served as fins on the front, and the edges of his cape were the "back fins". The helmet was a paper cone, cut to match the contour of Darth's helmet. The rounded top of his helmet was several wally world bags wadded up fairly tightly and wrapped in black duct tape, to provide a little "bounce" when he landed head-first after a flight.

It flew pretty darn well too-- we flew it probably a dozen times before the water started taking its toll on the cardstock components... LOL

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF6264.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  1.09 MB