Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Craftsman

I've been watching this thread for a while now and have some questions:

- Is it possible to fly these as unguided gliders or is the r/c equipment required?

- You recommend composite motors, but will they fly decently on 24 mm black powder motors?

- Is any one of three easier to operate than the others or are they all about the same level of complexity?

They're pretty cool! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Craftsman

They are designed for RC, that was the whole point of coming out with these, since there are lots of unguided boost glider kits. You'd have to work out some sort of mechanism to enable up trim for the gliders after boost.

All three are very similar to boost and fly, you can watch the video on my page and see the flights of all three, they boost and glide in a very similar way and all land pretty easily. Construction is about the same since I do most of the hard work for you. The controls are all just roll/pitch control.

As for the composite motors, they are are really the best because the E-6 gives a nice gentle boost that doesn't stress the airframe and gives you time to react to any wind/trim if needed. For Estes motors you'd need to cap the ejection charge/end with epoxy so that they don't damage the foam and eject the motormodels are already nose heavy on glide, you don't want to make it worse by ejecting the casing. Modifying the motor is not NAR approved if that is a problem where you launch. I've flown them on D-12, E-11, E-9 and E-12 motors this way and they flew fine and the glide was spot on, so cg change from the E-6 motor/casing.

On a price per flight basis there isn't a huge difference than the D/E bp motors versus the E-6 reloads..

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
I've been watching this thread for a while now and have some questions:

- Is it possible to fly these as unguided gliders or is the r/c equipment required?

- You recommend composite motors, but will they fly decently on 24 mm black powder motors?

- Is any one of three easier to operate than the others or are they all about the same level of complexity?

They're pretty cool! Thanks!

Last edited by burkefj : 11-18-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Craftsman

Today I flew my X-15 on D-12, E-11, E-9 and E-12 motors with the front plugged with a small epoxy layer and they flew fine and the glide was spot on, so cg change from the E-6 motor/casing.
The D-12 and E-11 were to about 250', the E9 and E12 went to about 400'. The E-12/E9 are only a 27ns E where the E-6 is a 37ns E.

On a price per flight basis there isn't a huge difference than the E bp motors versus the E-6 reloads, I think retail is around $22/3 for E12/E9 and Aerotech E-6 motors, and you can get them both at a discount for around $18-$19/3

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Craftsman

I've added a new kit, based on the HL-10 lifting body.

Video is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXXKBVEfMU0

Here is the video of the other two body styles: Here are other two body options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNEYhO-A_RI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  HL-10KitCard.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  520.8 KB  

Last edited by burkefj : 12-21-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Craftsman

This was my latest project, based on one I had done back on 2008. As I built it I took photos just like I would if it was a kit, I've posted the instructions on my dynasoar web page link below so you can see how it goes together. It uses a hand rolled depron tube and all the electronics except for the servos are inside the tube. The advantage of the tube is that it is waterproof without painting, is 2 ounces ligher than equivalent bt-101 thinwall tubing. It is based on the Mach 10, but I've changed the geometry a bit for kit/stiffness reasons. I'm not angling the tail to reduce drag and because I don't need it for glide trim and the model does not eject anything. I'm calling it a Mach 2...

Before I spend time cutting templates I'd like to see if there is enough interest first. In addition, I found a great deal on the markings, The USAF, stars/bars and wing panel line/black markings(anything that isn't red or blue on the model) that were discontinued from another rc kit so I will provide those free with the first five models. You'll still have to do your own canopy color and/or accents, I used some red/blue vinyl scraps I had leftover from stickershock23. I include printed templates on photo paper for the red accents as well as for the canopy.

It has a Mig 15, F-86 and even Huckebein(http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...Huckebein.html) look so you could decorate it in a variety of schemes.

So, let me know if this is something that interests you. It will require a receiver, two servos, two 12" servo wire extensions, a 500mah 1s lipo battery and a transmitter with delta mixing.
www.dynasoarrocketry.com

Here's some flight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2YN05H5njE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  WP_20151219_13_54_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  87.6 KB  

Last edited by burkefj : 12-21-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

If Bob Parks is in favor and a bunny rabbit is so in, then pull the trigger. Deal with decals later.

Hi Mark and Robert.

These are flat panel cross-sectional shapes. Not visually perfect but better aerodynamically.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 PM
7/21/61

Love the Mach 2, Frank!

I think it is Scott Branche who flies his upscale RC Mach 10 at NARAM every now and then. Just a beautiful creation!

Steve
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Craftsman

Thanks Steve, I got enough orders to make it a kit, here is the prototype and the first kit cut from templates done in soviet style markings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  WP_20151222_16_35_38_Pro.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  325.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20151222_16_35_51_Pro.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  325.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20151222_16_36_02_Pro.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  335.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20151222_16_36_41_Pro.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  323.7 KB  
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Craftsman

I was looking into whether or not to do a kit of this, RC, price is going to come in around $62 shipped priority, Weight is around 11 oz, really nice glide/boost behavior, wingspan 24", length 41", 2.6" diameter(bt-80). I probably wouldn't do the canards, they were just for show anyway....For those of you that believe a rocket has to have a tube involved Any interest? Would include flange nuts, rail buttons, all parts. This is pretty quick to assemble.

Flight Video
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  WP_20160106_05_15_30_Pro (2).jpg
Views: 24
Size:  169.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IkarusKitCard.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  438.7 KB  

Last edited by burkefj : 04-02-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Craftsman

Here are some flights from today, my X-plane with the full decal set from stickershock and my Navy version of the mach 2.

Mach 2 Video

X-Plane Video