Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Scale builder

Hate to argue with you but it is VERY possible to make fantastic decals with inkjet. I do it regularly. Yes there are some limits with reguard to white but careful planing and combining white backed decals and clear can overcome most (but not all ) issues with white. As for blacks and darks. If you're getting a muddy grey then the problem is your printer or print settings. Attached are examples of what I've done all on inkjet. I use Micro Mark paper on an HP 1350 deskjet.
Additionally. It is easy to "Copy" decals. I do it with every kit I get in case I screw up and need a replacement. Just scan it at high res (300dpi or greater) then open the JPEG file directly into Photoshop. No vector conversion needed and no seperating color layers ( prime advantage to using a deskjet). The beauty of photoshop is if you do need to seperate color layers for an ALPS, it can still be done as a JPEG using the layer tool and selective color selection. Not at all dificult. Very little clean up and redraw is needed if any. Occasionally I tweak the color or have changed it for a specific prototype. This can be done with selection tools and "curves" (which has nothing to do with linear curves). I have never had to convert to vector. I love Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  186.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Drm.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  127.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  daily2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  25.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  daily3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  14.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0027.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  371.2 KB  

Last edited by stantonjtroy : 03-26-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: additional material
Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Master Modeler

Default Your hired!

Your hired!

Where do I send my decals and my(your)money! lol

Seriously, if you can(read want to) help me out, PM me.

Thanks.

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 03-28-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

I have a thought, let me know if anyone has tried this. I am fortunate and own an Alps printer to make my decals and of course it works great. But these printers are hard to come buy and go for a for a fortune. With an Alps printer most of us put a layer of white down before adding color, thanks to spot coloring. With a regular printer I think you could use a quality printer and print on the white decal paper. I now that cutting close to the decal can be hard, so what about trying a Robo Cutter? These machines cut the decal out for you. I have never tried it and don't even know if it will work. These machines are cheaper than an Alps printer. Also you have more color choices, but you lose spot colors. Whats your thoughts?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Scale builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
.......I now that cutting close to the decal can be hard, so what about trying a Robo Cutter? These machines cut the decal out for you. I have never tried it and don't even know if it will work. These machines are cheaper than an Alps printer. Also you have more color choices, but you lose spot colors. Whats your thoughts?

It's not a bad thought but if memmory serves me the Robo Cutter is basically a plotter with a blade. this would nescessatate conversion to vector. Not problem but a needed step. The real trick would be getting proper alignment between two machines. Deskjet to print and Robo Cutter to trim/weed. (If I'm following you correctly) I kind of do this now only with a fresh #11 blade. An idea worth exploring as the Alps printer and ink supply is an ever shrinking commodity.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Master Modeler

Yay! It has been determined that Tom at Tango Papa accidentally received a different batch of paper from his supplier than normal which was the problem. The good paper is back in stock and I will be back printing decals next week! Now I can finish a project that has been waiting for decals for several months! THANKS TANGO PAPA!!!

NAR #32070
Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Scale builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Yay! It has been determined that Tom at Tango Papa accidentally received a different batch of paper from his supplier than normal which was the problem. The good paper is back in stock and I will be back printing decals next week! Now I can finish a project that has been waiting for decals for several months! THANKS TANGO PAPA!!!

YEA BABY! Let be know when you've got kits going out again and how much. I want one.