Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Craftsman

Default Lug build question

Hi Guys:
Its me, Jeff your resident novice who has yet another question to a basic mistake I made yesterday. I got so carried away in painting my new Vegabond that I forgot all about the lugs. I've just decided to use 5 min epoxy, let it set and then suspend the rocket from the launch rod tomorrow after 24 hours and see if they hold or break away from the paint bond. Do you think the lugs will stay on after launch? Paints used were Rustoleum auto primer then Krylon indoor/outdoor. Take care and happy Friday!!!!!! Take care, Jeff
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Do not glue lugs to paint; it has next to zero strength other than the bond the paint has to the tube.
Sand or scrape (with an x-acto) a small section of the paint off where you want to glue the lug.
Otherwise you will be sorry; maybe not 1st or 2nd launch, but they will snap off.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I do not like Facebook

Are you talking about this http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5857 kind of Vagabond?

Launch lugs on small rockets do not need much strength to function properly. At outreach launches, we usually attach one with tape to a rocket when a kid forgets that step of the instructions (it is easy not to know such a small item is necessary until after your first flight.)

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Retromaniac

Bill has a point there...
For larger rockets the LL's need to be securely attached, but on LPR kits there is a bit more flexibility. I have even been known to use a bit of scotch tape as a launch lug, works fine.
Don't feel bad about leaving off LL's.....
I have done it a couple of times but the worst was at NSL2006(?) were I was premiering our new King Kraken. Loaded it up, carried it out to the pad for her first public launch and the RSO asked, where are your lugs or buttons?
DOH!
Ended up using stripper to remove paint from two spots in order to mount LL's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Are you talking about this http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5857 kind of Vagabond?

Launch lugs on small rockets do not need much strength to function properly. At outreach launches, we usually attach one with tape to a rocket when a kid forgets that step of the instructions (it is easy not to know such a small item is necessary until after your first flight.)

Bill
P.O. Box 250760
North Little Rock AR, 72225

L1 on Pem-Tech Space Ark
at NSL2007

pem_tech (at) Yahoo (dot) com
TRF (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Craftsman

http://www.estesrockets.com/new/003217-vagabondtm
Thanks Bill , GR and Layne!
It's the new 3217 build so its BIG. I should have known to sand off a little area first before bonding. May as well have used duct tape but for now I'll need to let the epoxy set first and see how they bonded.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Master Modeler

The thing is that the epoxy has bonded to the paint (as ably referenced). There is a cheat that I have used in the past when lugs need to be attached after the fact - that is to draw a faint pencil line where the lug is to go and either drill or push a pin (dependent upon the size model) through the tube at several locations along the line. Using epoxy to glue the lug will force small rivets through the tube and should have sufficient adhesive penetrating the wall to hold the lugs.

The optimal is to mask of a rectangle where the lug(s) need to be placed and go to town with sandpaper. until you see the tube color.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Old Submariner

Thank God I'm not the ONLY that's left the lugs off! I omitted the lugs on an Interceptor E, and realized it after I applied the 5 acres of decals. I marked the locations, stripped the paint off of the sections, epoxied the lugs, repainted the areas by hand, and have never left them off again.

Yet.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Thank God I'm not the ONLY that's left the lugs off! I omitted the lugs on an Interceptor E, and realized it after I applied the 5 acres of decals.

You too?

For the new members - Don't attach lugs or fins with Super Glue!
It'll get brittle with time and pieces will pop off.
Like others have said, you should mask and sand the finish down to the bare tubing for best adhesion.

Two years back, I glued the tube "fins" on a prototype of my Pipeline kit with CA.
All the parts were painted before gluing. This was supposed to be for a photo op.
The tubes are canted for spin stabilization. The earliest version had more cant on the tubes.

With a C6-5 it got up spinning fast. At 50 feet it shredded! Three tubes, launch lug and mainframe were scattered.

Super glue has it's place, but not to adhere fins and launch lugs over paint.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
The thing is that the epoxy has bonded to the paint (as ably referenced). There is a cheat that I have used in the past when lugs need to be attached after the fact - that is to draw a faint pencil line where the lug is to go and either drill or push a pin (dependent upon the size model) through the tube at several locations along the line. Using epoxy to glue the lug will force small rivets through the tube and should have sufficient adhesive penetrating the wall to hold the lugs.

The optimal is to mask of a rectangle where the lug(s) need to be placed and go to town with sandpaper. until you see the tube color.

I love these two technuiqes-next time I'll mask and sand because for me its easier to apply the lugs after paint and possible decals. Take care, Jeff