Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
Yup. Based out of Wisconsin, also stores in Illinois & Iowa. Probably my second favorite place to get strange stuff for rocket projects, after American Science & Surplus. With FVR based in Woodstock, we're not far from that store at all.

They're my main source for buying bags of cinnamon bears. Mmmmmm!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
They're my main source for buying bags of cinnamon bears. Mmmmmm!

I wonder if Doug knows that they carry a complete line of TRACTOR PAINT. In fact, that's what I used to paint my magazine back when I was getting my permit from the JBGTs.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
I wonder if Doug knows that they carry a complete line of TRACTOR PAINT. In fact, that's what I used to paint my magazine back when I was getting my permit from the JBGTs.
And at least for Krylon, the best part of tractor paint is that it is still a lacquer type paint, recoat anytime. The color selection is a bit limited though...
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Tractor Supply (TSC) carries Plasti-Kote lacquer primer, but all of their paints are enamels at our store.

Yep, same here... I wish we'd get Rural King and Big "R" stores down here... all we have in farm/horse supplies are TSC... which is OK but Rural King is THE store for ag/farm/country related stuff... and Big "R" is a close second.

When I was in Indiana around Christmas I saw that they carried Farm and Fleet paints. That's where I got my 891 Elmer's Wood Filler as mentioned in another thread. I think Rural King carried Farm n Fleet paints too IIRC.

There are some Rural King stores in TN, not sure about Big R.

Good luck! OL JR
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It was within the hour. That's why it liquified instead of lifting or some other gory action. The paint stayed smooth, but it ran away from the edges to the point I could see the primer underneath again.

I'll probably start using Wally World white, or possibly the Rustoleum. I guess I'll have to learn to use the airbrush for most colors.

I've had really good luck with the 99 cent wally world paint... can't complain so far. The primer works well and the basic white seems as good as any. Can't say much about the new Krylon, but from what I've heard, why bother?? The 99 cent a can stuff is the same if not better so why bother buying new Krylon for more money?? OL JR
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yep, same here... I wish we'd get Rural King and Big "R" stores down here... all we have in farm/horse supplies are TSC... which is OK but Rural King is THE store for ag/farm/country related stuff... and Big "R" is a close second.

When I was in Indiana around Christmas I saw that they carried Farm and Fleet paints. That's where I got my 891 Elmer's Wood Filler as mentioned in another thread. I think Rural King carried Farm n Fleet paints too IIRC.

There are some Rural King stores in TN, not sure about Big R.

Good luck! OL JR

We've got a small Rural King about 10 miles from me, and a great big one in an old WalMart building about 30 miles from me. I could hang out in the big one all day. The free popcorn is good too.

I've had good success with Wally World paint too. They just don't offer enough good colors. I don't like any primer that isn't straight lacquer, though.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

The Wal-Mart primer is very sandable... that's all that matters to me.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org