Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 AM
BP Mafia

Default Finishing up an old project

And by old, I mean at least ten years. Back in 2001 I picked up an Estes Fat Boy kit and set about putting my newly developed skills to the test. I airfoiled the fins, did the Fill & Finish trick on the whole rocket, and did a very careful spray painting of the rocket. It was around this time that I realized how closely the Fat Boy body tube and nose cone mimicked the lines of the Goonybird rockets. Since the Star Snoop was a 3fnc bird, I realized that I could just make a new set of TTW fins out of basswood and turn a Fat Boy into a Goony upscale. (I thought I was the father of the upscale Goony trend, and even posted a "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"-type post on RMR announcing my discovery to the rocketry world. ) Anyway, I went off into Goonyland and the artfully done Fat Boy was relegated to a particularly dusty corner of my shop.
Well, I found it the other day. I dusted it off, realized that it was some of my finest work, and looked around to see what I had on hand that could finish the job. I had painted it orange, with the idea of striping it in Bengal's colors, but these days the NFL can plant tulips on my backside. I found an abandoned Fat Boy nose cone and adopted it, then glued the Kevlar and Shock cord in with a good ol' tri-fold paper mount. (My first Star Snoop Goon had had this type of shock cord mount, but in between treeing it and building the replacement, I'd adopted the Kevlar method.) I think the original Snoop was the last rocket I did a tri-fold mount on, so this is truly retro for me.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 06-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
BP Mafia

Noticed two things about this rocket since last night. 1) No launch lug. 2) No engine block. I know the lack of an engine block is an Estes thing, but the lack of a launch lug is strictly ME!!!

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Noticed two things about this rocket since last night. 1) No launch lug. 2) No engine block.
Just use a tape thrust ring on the aft end of the motor. Save the engine block to use as a centering ring in another project

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
BP Mafia

I'm actually pretty comfortable flying it like it is. Any tricks to install the launch lug without marring the paint job?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
I'm actually pretty comfortable flying it like it is. Any tricks to install the launch lug without marring the paint job?
Bill,

I want to say I added lugs to one finished bird. I used masking tape to outline a rectangle where the lug would go, then sanded it down well enough for the glue to stick. I then removed the masking tape and glued the lug in place. I added some extra glue later. After that set, I re-masked off the area and added some FnF/CWF fillets, and ultimately painted over the affected areas. It wasn't perfect, but I got a decent enough finish that the lugs don't look too bad.

Come to think of it, it was on my Omega-D. I needed standoffs under the lugs to clear the faux Cineroc capsule. So I removed the old legs, added standoffs, then put new lugs on.

Danged if I have any pics handy, tho.

But the key to keeping it as neat as possible was masking off the area to be sanded.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill,

I want to say I added lugs to one finished bird. I used masking tape to outline a rectangle where the lug would go, then sanded it down well enough for the glue to stick. I then removed the masking tape and glued the lug in place. I added some extra glue later. After that set, I re-masked off the area and added some FnF/CWF fillets, and ultimately painted over the affected areas. It wasn't perfect, but I got a decent enough finish that the lugs don't look too bad.

Come to think of it, it was on my Omega-D. I needed standoffs under the lugs to clear the faux Cineroc capsule. So I removed the old legs, added standoffs, then put new lugs on.

Danged if I have any pics handy, tho.

But the key to keeping it as neat as possible was masking off the area to be sanded.

Doug

This was the process that I was formulating in my head as I left for work tonight. I figure that I can do this, then spray on another coat of Valspar Orange without anyone being the wiser.
Of course, I'll tell everyone what I did, but that's just me.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
I figure that I can do this, then spray on another coat of Valspar Orange without anyone being the wiser.
Since I already had decals on it, I was in no position to do that. Instead, I shot some of the paint into a cup, then brushed that onto the masked area.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Since I already had decals on it, I was in no position to do that. Instead, I shot some of the paint into a cup, then brushed that onto the masked area.

Doug

If I'd already done the stripes I'd planned, I'd REALLY be screwed.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
If I'd already done the stripes I'd planned, I'd REALLY be screwed.

Odd. I was thinking that rocket would look good in stripes even before I read your post.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Not so Junior

Or black flames coming down from the nose...

kj