Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Look again Roy. There is a single, vertical seam, running the length of the tube. When Carl called Gleda to ask for pointers, Vern was worried Carl was going to ask Gleda to do it ! Vern refused to put her on the phone until he promised not to ask her to roll tubes. Turns out, out she rolled a few anyway... for the auction.

You're right. I guess I just assumed since it was white instead of manilla (the way BT-30s were made in the late 60's) that it was one of Carl's regular tubes, but I coulda sworn I saw a spiral on there the other day!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
You're right. I guess I just assumed since it was white instead of manilla (the way BT-30s were made in the late 60's) that it was one of Carl's regular tubes, but I coulda sworn I saw a spiral on there the other day!

Don't feel bad, I assumed the same thing until Carl told me the story at the ORR Saturday night. I had to double check, too. He did a super job rolling them. So good, in fact, they look machine made and fooled the both of us! While they might not hold the same value as a tube turned by Gleda, these "red" kits took a lot of thought and time to make, and are valuable in their own right. I generally subscribe to the thought that kits ought to be built and flown (and not hoarded), but this one will remain sealed.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Don't feel bad, I assumed the same thing until Carl told me the story at the ORR Saturday night. I had to double check, too. He did a super job rolling them. So good, in fact, they look machine made and fooled the both of us! While they might not hold the same value as a tube turned by Gleda, these "red" kits took a lot of thought and time to make, and are valuable in their own right. I generally subscribe to the thought that kits ought to be built and flown (and not hoarded), but this one will remain sealed.

I can't think of any way to get into it that wouldn't screw it up, though I am just a little surprised he went to plastic caps instead of figuring out how to do paper ones

I was hoping that the story about the straws would be something like "...and Gleda needed some straws for a party one day and brought a box home from work. 48 years later she finds the box and uses them for the Red Scouts!" heh.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I can't think of any way to get into it that wouldn't screw it up, though I am just a little surprised he went to plastic caps instead of figuring out how to do paper ones

I was hoping that the story about the straws would be something like "...and Gleda needed some straws for a party one day and brought a box home from work. 48 years later she finds the box and uses them for the Red Scouts!" heh.

White vs manilla, plastic vs paper, vintage ebay straws vs straws found in Gleda's basement....Man, tough crowd.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
White vs manilla, plastic vs paper, vintage ebay straws vs straws found in Gleda's basement....Man, tough crowd.

Trivia is the spice of life!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Trivia is the spice of life!
Yeah, but I'd still rather be wanted for my sex appeal than for my skill at board games

Alas, pass me another piece of pie.

Doug

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Yeah, but I'd still rather be wanted for my sex appeal than for my skill at board games

Alas, pass me another piece of pie.

Doug

Board games? feh! Give me a real trivia game at a bar with beer, nachos, and playing for $50 bar cash! I'll take a piece of pie, too, though.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Master Modeler

I'll leave the trivia to you Roy. But I'll take you up on the beer and nachos. We must have tripped over each other a dozen times at NARAM, but I still don't recall seeing you(not sure I would even recognize if I did), didn't see your name tag, and forgot to ask around. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to formally meet. Ah well, maybe next time.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
I'll leave the trivia to you Roy. But I'll take you up on the beer and nachos. We must have tripped over each other a dozen times at NARAM, but I still don't recall seeing you(not sure I would even recognize if I did), didn't see your name tag, and forgot to ask around. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to formally meet. Ah well, maybe next time.

I definitely saw you a few times, but didn't put together the name and handle until I read the message JRThro just posted up on TRF.