Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Craftsman

Default A model rocket model, K-7 Phantom scratch build

Sure, the Phantom isn't really a rocket. Heck, it has no fins. But, it is in the 1963 catalog and has a K-number designation, so it goes on my list to build the original kits starting from the beginning.

It all starts with a plastic tube. It probably was mylar back then, but as I mentioned on an earlier build, I found some plastic tubes at a Walgreens that were within a few thousandths of an inch with the correct radius.

Of course, I also needed a model of the engine. According to the picture in the instructions - which I got from JimZ's site, as one could have expected, the model rocket engine model was filled like a C engine. But, I had just been launching with my class, and we used A engines. So, I sliced a used A engine case lengthwise, being careful to leave the engine rating exposed. I decided to build it to represent how an A engine is packed.

Luckily, the clay nozzle was almost perfect when I split it, so it was good.

I then used a launch rod to plug the nozzle, and a 1/2" dowel with some tape around it to plug both ends of the half engine casing. Once I poured in some polyurethane resin, I had a model rocket engine model. Before it set up really hard, I shaved of the top surface with my knife.

Then, with some tape, acrylic paint, and a detail brush, I made a mock model engine.

edit: Emphasizing that I didn't split a live engine lengthwise. It would go against everything that I tell my class about safety. And, everything that I hold dear about not burning off my fingers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3783.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  220.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3784.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  124.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3786.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  138.1 KB  

Last edited by DavidQ : 06-22-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Craftsman

Once I finished the engine and tacked it into place, that was most of the work.

Except I needed an engine block. A green one to match the kits of the day, I think. And, I didn't have one and didn't want to order one. So, using an engine casing trimmed to 3/4" long, and some mint green acrylic paint, I made one. I used a 24mm green engine block that I did have as a color guide.

Then, packing some recovery wadding, a parachute, a nose cone, elastic, etc. the model rocket model was done. It's sitting on my shelf next to my other K-7 Phantom, the later model which I built from a kit - it has fins and looks like an Alpha. It likely will appear in a later build.

You can hardly tell them apart! (Oops! This picture from the catalog has a tube-colored engine block. Later pictures on the hang tag had the darker one, which I must have assumed to be the green one. Oh well. If this were government work, it would be good enough.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_3790.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  282.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3791.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  185.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3792.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  151.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Catalog image 1963.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  464.6 KB  

Last edited by DavidQ : 06-22-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Master Modeler

Nice project!

Guess: That oversized engine block was one of the old-style balsa thrust rings. Hole drilled through the center.

I made a few for my own "early days of Estes" projects. BT-30 balsa bulkheads that I hand drilled.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
When Pigs Fly!

I saw an original Estes cutaway engine on Ebay a while back:

http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...mmy-engine.html

Your engine looks better than what Estes produced. The Estes cutaway engine looks like it was cut in half with a bandsaw!

Great work on your "K" kit builds!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Dummy Engine 2.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  224.9 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Guess: That oversized engine block was one of the old-style balsa thrust rings. Hole drilled through the center. .

Good call! I missed that. The Phantom instructions clearly call it a "Balsa Engine Block # EB-20". The 1963 catalog even calls an EB-20 a BT-20 engine block, 3/4" long, made of balsa. That also explains why the engine block looks almost like recovery wadding in the B&W photo.

My ignorance about the older engine blocks led me to totally miss that detail. Thanks!

But, I'm not changing it. I really wanted the green engine block.