Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2018, 02:02 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I wouldn't get a kick out of that. If those fields are used for ballgames, a kid could wind up with an igniter wire in a leg. A little investigation by those in charge of the field could very easily lead to a sign listing rocketry as one of the things forbidden on the field. I make **** sure everything I bring to the field leaves with me, and I always have a bag that I put my spent igniters and motors in, just in case anyone gets curious.

Yeah I had to "gently remind" the club guys flying on the farm that they need a to make sure the spent ignitors get picked up, because me picking up a handful of sharp spent wire after a launch in a pasture being grazed by cattle is unacceptable... Spent wadding I don't mind; I can reuse most of it myself ( though I prefer dog barf because it simply rots down and scatters itself as it falls) but wire, that's around a long time... Don't need cows w with wires in their tongues or mouth or hardware disease...

They bring a five gallon bucket and put it by the pad now, handy for taking wire out of the clips when hooking up...

Later! OL J R
Old 06-06-2018, 05:20 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Hardware Disease ?!?!
Somehow this reminds me of the episode of M*A*S*H where Cpl. Max Klinger attempts to EAT a JEEP in one of his Section 8 attempts.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Hardware Disease ?!?!
Somehow this reminds me of the episode of M*A*S*H where Cpl. Max Klinger attempts to EAT a JEEP in one of his Section 8 attempts.

Dipped in motor oil, iirc. LOL

Old 06-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I also noticed that the Cosmic Explorer is virtually identical to the Centurian. Do you have the entire Centurian family ( Mini Centurian, Centurian, Centurian F)?

I do not right now, but I was inspired by Initiator's November thread where he built the family and scored the Mini-Centurian from Semroc. Probably my next build.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Hardware Disease ?!?!

Cattle are ruminants, meaning they have a four-chambered stomach (somewhat mistakenly referred to as having "four stomachs" but that's inaccurate). Cows (and other ruminants) eat grass, which is mostly indigestible (to non-ruminant animals like horses, pigs, and humans) due to the cellulose in the cell walls of the plant, but ruminants get around this by using bacteria to break down the cellulose so they can digest the contents of the cells. Because grass isn't terribly nutritious anyway and SO indigestible, they eat massive quantities of it... so basically they eat anything in front of them, and eating so close to the ground they tend to pick up anything laying in/on the grass and eat it as well.

The grass they eat is chewed and swallowed, and goes first to the rumen, the first and largest chamber of the stomach. There it basically ferments in the presence of the rumen bacteria that help break down the cell walls. After a couple hours, the cattle go lay down, usually in the shade, and "chew their cud" by essentially vomiting up balls of this fermented grass back up into their mouths, chewing it a second time, and then reswallowing it... this is called "ruminating" or "rumination" (and is the source of the word, when we sit and "chew on a problem" or "ruminate" about it). Once reswallowed, the rechewed material bypasses the rumen, goes over a small pouch-like compartment called the reticulum, which is also called the "hardware sack"... if the cattle have eaten any small bits of metal or wire or stone or anything else that is indigestible, it is usually trapped in the reticulum (sort of like our appendix). The chewed material then goes into the omasum, the third compartment of the stomach, where stomach acids and stuff are introduced, and the grass then starts to break down further. Then later it passes into the abomasum, the fourth and last compartment of the cow's stomach that helps finish digestion and passes the grass then into the small intestine...

The thing is, if cattle get too much wire, fence staples, or other metallic debris caught in the reticulum, it can cause "hardware disease" where they get sick and don't eat and either lose a lot of weight and do poorly or outright die. It's sort of like appendicitis in humans. To save the cow, you have to make them swallow a bolus magnet (think of something the shape of a Tylenol capsule about 3-4 inches long) connected to a string-- this then makes its way to the reticulum, and the magnet attracts all the metal bits that stick to it, and then you pull the magnet back up out of the stomach by the string, with the metal bits still stuck to it, thereby removing them from the cow's reticulum and allowing them to recover (hopefully).

Of course the fine, thin, SHARP ignitor wire on Estes ignitors is also quite capable of sticking in the cows lips, mouth, tongue, or esophagus, so it's best if the stuff isn't left laying there willy-nilly anyway... I'm not sure if the stuff is stainless steel or not, but it's fine enough and sharp enough to cause problems for any animals that might happen to eat it while grazing (including sheep or other grazing animals). SO it's best to avoid the problem than try to treat it later...

Class dismissed... LOL OL J R

PS. If they eat rocket wadding or spent rocket motor casings, that stuff will either break down or pass through... it's the metal that's a problem...
Old 06-09-2018, 11:24 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

30wt motor oil....

"Bolts, screws, nuts !?!?... This man is full of machinery !"
As stated by Surgeon Admiral Cox played by Dick O'Neill.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !