Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
BP Mafia

Default Estes Solar Warrior

I recently picked one of these up for a bargain price and it arrived today. When my brother in law and I played vulture at that hobby shop closing in Arlington, Texas back in 1994, this was one of the kits that Tony came away with. It's always been one of his favorites and currently has 35+ flights on it. It reminds me of the Centuri Spacemaster in that while the design is pretty cool, the paint and decals are plain ugly.
I opened it immediately, scanned everything and sent it to Scott, then started the build. The fins that came in the kit were warped, so I had to cut out new ones. That took up the bulk of my build time today, but I did get the body tubes slopped with Fill & Finish. The weekend looks pretty nice around here, so I'm thinking about doing some small field launching one day and I'd like to have this finished by then. It's a pretty simple rocket, so I stand a pretty good chance.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I recently picked one of these up for a bargain price and it arrived today. When my brother in law and I played vulture at that hobby shop closing in Arlington, Texas back in 1994, this was one of the kits that Tony came away with. It's always been one of his favorites and currently has 35+ flights on it. It reminds me of the Centuri Spacemaster in that while the design is pretty cool, the paint and decals are plain ugly.
I opened it immediately, scanned everything and sent it to Scott, then started the build. The fins that came in the kit were warped, so I had to cut out new ones. That took up the bulk of my build time today, but I did get the body tubes slopped with Fill & Finish. The weekend looks pretty nice around here, so I'm thinking about doing some small field launching one day and I'd like to have this finished by then. It's a pretty simple rocket, so I stand a pretty good chance.

Man, if you can start a rocket on Wednesday and have it finished and ready to fly by the weekend, you're a better man than I am.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
When only stupid will do...

Quote:
The weekend looks pretty nice around here, so I'm thinking about doing some small field launching one day and I'd like to have this finished by then. It's a pretty simple rocket, so I stand a pretty good chance.

Bill, let me know when and where if you do get out this weekend and I'll see if I can join you for some modroc-sized fun.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Man, if you can start a rocket on Wednesday and have it finished and ready to fly by the weekend, you're a better man than I am.

Well, I'll probably be a lot more like you than you know. I plan to fly it unpainted.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterM
Bill, let me know when and where if you do get out this weekend and I'll see if I can join you for some modroc-sized fun.

Spring break starts tomorrow, so it should be pretty quiet around here.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 PM
BP Mafia

I got the flipper fins and pods attached to the Solar Warrior tonight, and with just the two of them attached, I was surprised at how cool the profile was. It would actually be a pretty cool place to start with a new design, and once this project is flying, I might just give it a whirl. The upper and lower fins look badly planned out by comparison. Tony did an upscale that was based on a BT-55, and at that size, the upper and lower fins really look odd. I think I'm going to try something along the lines of that size, but I'll change the fin patterns. I wonder how it would look with four identical fins and pods?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Cool Solar Warrior -- MUTATED!!!

Quote:
I got the flipper fins and pods attached to the Solar Warrior tonight, and with just the two of them attached, I was surprised at how cool the profile was. [snip] I wonder how it would look with four identical fins and pods?
Without any measurements to go by, my "wild guess" (and *boy,* is it wild!) is attached below.

This should give you an appropriately vague idea.

Cheers,

--Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SolarWarrior_Mutant_00_70X.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  95.2 KB  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Without any measurements to go by, my "wild guess" (and *boy,* is it wild!) is attached below.

This should give you an appropriately vague idea.

Cheers,

--Jay

Thanks, Jay. It looks almost familiar. Nowhere near as unique as I'd thought it might.
Now I'll be sitting here all night wondering where I've seen it before.
Then again, maybe I won't.
The Estes Screamin' Mimi

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-31-2006, 07:47 PM
BP Mafia

Here it is half finned. Work has progressed beyond this point, but this is all the farther that I've photographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Solar Warrior without engine mount.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  306.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Solar Warrior front.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  291.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Solar Warrior rear.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  303.6 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink "Thunder Dodo" -> "Solar Warrior" Mutation

Quote:
Now I'll be sitting here all night wondering where I've seen it before.
Then again, maybe I won't.
The Estes Screamin' Mimi
Here ya go. I morphed this from my 24mm "Thunder Auk" file... ...which began its existence as a Screamin' Mimi.

Cheers,

--Jay

P.S. The original Solar Warriot "Mutant" above is almost 12" long, while the version below is twice that size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  SolarWarrior_ThunderDodo_00_70X.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  108.4 KB  

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 03-31-2006 at 11:49 PM.