Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 08:29 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Default Estes Oracle

Here's my re-work of the Oracle - just finished the markings; now I have to see if I can get the thing back together.

I suppose it will need an Omega to carry it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01280.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  451.6 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 04-27-2006, 09:45 PM
BP Mafia

Cool idea! Keep us informed on the progress. (The more pics, the merrier.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Master Modeler

That looks very slick!

I didn't consider painting the camera module, but as long as you're careful, why not?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
That looks very slick!

I didn't consider painting the camera module, but as long as you're careful, why not?

Hi Stefan;

Well in this case, I decided to take the module apart so that I could deal with the pieces individually. The first challenge was finding a screwdriver of a size that could remove the proprietary screws that hold the module together. These are metric screws and they have a triangular socket head, intended to discourage exactly what I was trying to do. I found that a small standard screwdriver (3/32" blade; 1/8" was too large) could be used to get the screws out if one was careful. In the final assembly, I replaced these odd balls with #2 socket head servo screws. Just make sure you drill out the mounting posts with a #50 bit so that new screws don't overstress the plastic.

The rest of the disassembly was fairly straightforward; you just have to keep track of the orientation of the PC boards and especially the LCD display. Use a small container to keep the parts and tiny PCB mounting screws together; you'll be glad you did later! The display is suspended by a couple of rubber-like pads which also serve to conduct the segment signals - haven't seen these devices before. I took a lot of photos during disassembly because I was sure I was going to forget how to put it all back together properly, and I was right. The photos made re-assembly no problem.

To completely remove the PCBs and other internal components I had to cut the battery leads from their connection posts, and I also had to cut the leads to the audible piezo as it could not be easily removed (it's held in place by melted plastic, as is the mirror shroud; Estes used no plastic cement anywhere inside that I could see). I soldered the various leads back together during re-assembly. With all the innards out, I was then able to finish the parts in the normal way.

I wet sanded the old paint off - it came off fairly easily with #320 W/D. I used a decent amount of putty to fill the various surface molding marks, and also to fair in the mirror shroud. Estes has a not so pretty joint around this thing. Primed with Testors Model Master primer, and painted with Rustoleum Gloss Black - this paint worked just great for this (thanks Doug Sams!). The yellow stripes are Pactra trim tape; I had hoped to use a matching width at the top end, but the compound curve is just too severe and so I had to go with a smaller width. Even so, the cut tape edges at the joint seams still want to follow the natural curve of the nose, which is why the top tape edges appear to turn down at the joint seam. My goal was to try and reproduce the look of the Cineroc as seen in the 1974 Estes catalog.

The Cineroc logo comes from the file posted in the Files section of the Old Rockets Newsgroup; this and the textual markings were formatted in MicroSoft Word and then printed on an ALPS printer (to get the white) on Expert's Choice clear waterslide decal film.

I suppose the best part of this project for me was the relief I felt once I got the thing back together, and was able to verify that it still worked properly. I guess it's on to that Omega now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01285.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  450.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01286.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  446.4 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004