Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like the current UNLIMITED status of postings in free-for-all.
If ya don't like that forum, don't go there just like you don't have to watch any particular programs on TV, but don't try telling me what is ok to watch.

Yep... I agree...

I find it rather amusing when folks whine and complain about "why isn't there a way to set the forum up so that it COMPLETELY IGNORES the "newsbot" posts, or the "Free for all" forum, or "the Watering Hole" or (insert least favorite category here).

Is it REALLY THAT MUCH TROUBLE to turn the brain on 30 seconds and SIFT THROUGH THE FLIPPIN' NEW POSTS and just COMPLETELY FRIGGIN' IGNORE EVERYTHING that doesn't match YOUR interests?? You HAVE to be able to pre-program the forum software to DO IT FOR YOU?? Talk about the height of laziness!

On TRF (The Restricted Forum) I for one hate reading through all the stupid "forum word association games" crap and malarkey like that... probably 95% of the newsbot stuff is repetive or zero-interest for me, and I find EXTREMELY LITTLE on the HPR forum that I even care to read, but I don't WHINE demanding the forum software kick all that stuff out for me...

I read papermodelers forum, and most of what interests me there is spacecraft and sci-fi spaceships and such, which is maybe 20% of the builds on the forum (the rest being planes, trains, and automobiles, and castles/buildings and such). Guess what?? I hit "new posts" and sift through the 3 pages of threads that pop up, and usually open about 6-8 out of about 75... takes all of about 2 minutes...

Geesh... you'd think it was rocket science or something... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM
BP Mafia

Again, I have no problem with the Free For All forum content and understand the catch-all nature of the beast. What I have a problem with is someone coming in and posting off-topic garbage without bothering to contribute ANYTHING rocketry related. So, if I've got this right, it would be fine with you if someone joined here and began filling the Free For All section with posts about his fondness for child molestation? Not a problem, because he put it in the Free For All section, right?
There's a reason this is called Ye Olde Rocket Forum. It's because the bulk of the posts are supposed to be rocketry related and those who join are expected to have an interest in the hobby. If all you do is make off-topic posts, even if they're in the Free For All section, you're nothing more than a troll. Find yourself another bridge to hide under.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Ooooh. A whole post!

He followed J.D. here specifically to spar with him. If he did post rocketry content, he was tricked into it.

For just a moment, I was inclined to look for any other rocketry-related postings from him, but then I shrugged and said to myself: "Nah." :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I DO think it might be a good idea to have a rule... for every "political or opinion" post you make, you should have to make FIVE RELEVANT, ACCURATE, CORRECT INFORMATION ROCKET-RELATED POSTS that are TOTALLY seperate and devoid of any political or non-rocket subject opinions whatsoever...

I don't know about that...some folks here have lots of "political capital" and that might encourage them to start spending it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Ok, I'm gonna duck and cover now... when our former club VP added this very thing to the bylaws when he was charged with rewriting the club bylaws a few years back, suggesting that the "absentee leadership" who had been serving as the President and other high offices of the club until a major shakeup over a launch site incident put some "fresh blood" (including himself) in to higher offices, his addition to the bylaws would have REQUIRED the serving club officers to attend at least ONE launch PER YEAR as a condition of remaining eligible for office...

How about requiring them to WORK at least one launch per year, as in setup, teardown or at least one shift of range duty. Most officers I know do a whole lot more than that.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
For just a moment, I was inclined to look for any other rocketry-related postings from him, but then I shrugged and said to myself: "Nah." :-)

I actually did that several months ago. At the time, zero rocketry content.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I actually did that several months ago. At the time, zero rocketry content.
Interesting... Well, the Free-For-All forum does exist for non-rocketry discussions, although I think that anyone who never--or almost never--discusses rocketry-related subjects on YORF is not acting in accordance with the spirit in which the Free-For-All forum was provided. Still, I would never advocate any kind of required "rocketry-related/rocketry un-related posting subject ratio" for YORF (it would be time-consuming to police and enforce, at the very least). Also:

I liken such use of YORF to throwing (rhetorical) Molotov cocktails. If someone throws one at us and it--for the purpose of illustration--lands on soft soil and doesn't break, we have three choices: We can get angry, pick it up, and throw it back (which would gratify its thrower), or we can just ignore it and let it burn out. Or we can extinguish it (by responding with good cheer and asking what rockets the newcomer is building and/or flying these days).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 10-09-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done had to correct a typo.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I liken such use of YORF to throwing (rhetorical) Molotov cocktails. If someone throws one at us and it--for the purpose of illustration--lands on soft soil and doesn't break, we have three choices: We can get angry, pick it up, and throw it back (which would gratify its thrower), or we can just ignore it and let it burn out. Or we can extinguish it (by responding with good cheer and asking what rockets the newcomer is building and/or flying these days).

I hope Billy Doug doesn't mind if I borrow this

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Or we can extinguish it (by responding with good cheer and asking what rockets the newcomer is building and/or flying these days).

Ole' P.O. isn't a newcomer. He's been all over J.D. like VD on a crack w***e from at least as far back as the early R.M.R. days. You'd have to ask Jerry if he was on the Compuserve list before that, as I didn't have internet access at that time.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Ole' P.O. isn't a newcomer. He's been all over J.D. like VD on a crack w***e from at least as far back as the early R.M.R. days. You'd have to ask Jerry if he was on the Compuserve list before that, as I didn't have internet access at that time.
He seems to be a relative newcomer to YORF, though (just going by when I first began seeing his postings). Your description made me picture Lazarus A and B (one made of matter, the other made of anti-matter) who were at each other's throats in the original Star Trek episode "The Alternative Factor." :-)
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
He seems to be a relative newcomer to YORF, though (just going by when I first began seeing his postings). Your description made me picture Lazarus A and B (one made of matter, the other made of anti-matter) who were at each other's throats in the original Star Trek episode "The Alternative Factor." :-)

LOL! Yes, it does seem that way. You might note that P.O. showed up here 10 months after J.D.'s first post. On TRF, he actually posted rocketry content, albeit with the poor bedside manner he shows here.