Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I liken such use of YORF to throwing (rhetorical) Molotov cocktails. If someone throws one at us and it--for the purpose of illustration--lands on soft soil and doesn't break, we have three choices: We can get angry, pick it up, and throw it back (which would gratify its thrower), or we can just ignore it and let it burn out. Or we can extinguish it (by responding with good cheer and asking what rockets the newcomer is building and/or flying these days).

Actually, I think they are more like tossing a stink bomb into a crowded room. Doesn't really do much except make the environment unpleasant for everyone else and stir them up. And more often than not, the stink bomb seems to be tied to an offsite link to an extreme viewpoint website that has an axe to grind with the subject of the lobber's political obsession. Much of the time, it seems that the "news item" is an outrageous construction, built from innuendo an grossly distorted facts, if not outright untruths. But, hey, if it's on the Internet, it must be true, right?

Y'know - this isn't the first time this has come up here. anyone remember lurker01? pretty much the same kind of thing - toss a stink bomb into the room and watch the fun as everyone reacts. The real difference, as I see it between tossing a stink bomb into the room and a real political discussion is that the stink bomb thrower likes to start a new thread with an outrageous, extremist viewpoint (doesn't matter whether on the left or right, gang) and doesn't post anything else there again. JD does, sometimes, repost in a thread. Lurker rarely did. And, I would like to point out, PO doesn't lob stink bombs - he will argue the liberal side of an argument with the conservatives here but he doesn't start stuff.

I think that is the difference between those of you who lean toward the farther right and JD - you engage in political discussion. This may get heated and even out of contol at times, but it is still a dialog. But you don't lob stink bombs just to watch the fun. I may disagree with your viewpoints, but at the end of the day we can all agree to disagree and that it's really all about rockets here.

I did have a thought on the original point of this topic - there IS a way to do it. Set the Free For All section like the Semroc SAM section. If you want in, you would ask Scott for access. Of course, the downside is that if you decline access to Free For All, you won't have any place to post about your health, your dog, your dog's health, or Terri Garr. Trade-offs.

Greg
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Y'know - this isn't the first time this has come up here. anyone remember lurker01?

Greg

I do believe lurker01 and cohetero are one and the same.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
I do believe lurker01 and cohetero are one and the same.

Not unless Jon was going under a pseudonym - lurker01 signed all his messages "Bob". And I know that Jon is a real person - I met him at NARAM in Cincinatti.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Not unless Jon was going under a pseudonym - lurker01 signed all his messages "Bob". And I know that Jon is a real person - I met him at NARAM in Cincinatti.

I dunno, perhaps "Bob" is a middle or first name. They both share the same birthday, and the way both of their posts read is very similar. Again, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Skeptical Dave
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yep... I agree...

I find it rather amusing when folks whine and complain about "why isn't there a way to set the forum up so that it COMPLETELY IGNORES the "newsbot" posts, or the "Free for all" forum, or "the Watering Hole" or (insert least favorite category here).

Is it REALLY THAT MUCH TROUBLE to turn the brain on 30 seconds and SIFT THROUGH THE FLIPPIN' NEW POSTS and just COMPLETELY FRIGGIN' IGNORE EVERYTHING that doesn't match YOUR interests?? You HAVE to be able to pre-program the forum software to DO IT FOR YOU?? Talk about the height of laziness!

On TRF (The Restricted Forum) I for one hate reading through all the stupid "forum word association games" crap and malarkey like that... probably 95% of the newsbot stuff is repetive or zero-interest for me, and I find EXTREMELY LITTLE on the HPR forum that I even care to read, but I don't WHINE demanding the forum software kick all that stuff out for me...

I read papermodelers forum, and most of what interests me there is spacecraft and sci-fi spaceships and such, which is maybe 20% of the builds on the forum (the rest being planes, trains, and automobiles, and castles/buildings and such). Guess what?? I hit "new posts" and sift through the 3 pages of threads that pop up, and usually open about 6-8 out of about 75... takes all of about 2 minutes...

Geesh... you'd think it was rocket science or something... LOL

Later! OL JR

I usually check these forums by viewing "new posts" which pulls all the garbage up. On TRF I select the stupid newsbot forum, and then select "mark this forum read" then when I go back to "new posts" the crap is cleaned up.

I tried that here w/ "Free for all" and (at least for me) that marked ALL the forums read. I think if the button were tweaked, we could have a filter if it really bugs you that much (the traffic here is lower, so I don't have to page through so much, so it doesn't really bother me here). I realize YORF is running an older version of Vbulletin so the tweak may not be availalbe.

Man I love hanging w/ grumpy old men! Makes me look like big ol' teddy bear compared to some of y'all
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Is it REALLY THAT MUCH TROUBLE to turn the brain on 30 seconds and SIFT THROUGH THE FLIPPIN' NEW POSTS and just COMPLETELY FRIGGIN' IGNORE EVERYTHING that doesn't match YOUR interests?? You HAVE to be able to pre-program the forum software to DO IT FOR YOU?? Talk about the height of laziness!

[SNIP]

I hit "new posts" and sift through the 3 pages of threads that pop up, and usually open about 6-8 out of about 75... takes all of about 2 minutes...

[SNIP]

Geesh... you'd think it was rocket science or something... LOL

Later! OL JR
(chuckling) JR, I was hoping to be able to *not* let those unwanted posts get into my brain in the first place.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
(chuckling) JR, I was hoping to be able to *not* let those unwanted posts get into my brain in the first place.

Cheers,

Heheheehe... you don't ask for much, do you?? LOL

Sounds like you need the mental discipline of Kohlinar...

(Spock can explain it... )

Have a good one!

Later! OL JR
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Master Modeler

What's worse is that read every post in THIS thread, knowing that it would have ZERO rocketry content.

Why do I do this to myself???
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
What's worse is that read every post in THIS thread, knowing that it would have ZERO rocketry content.

Why do I do this to myself???

....and everybody who's complained about non-rocketry related threads has posted in it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Apollo Nut

...yeah, like 49 posts currently with 800 some-odd views....

Just GOTTA get this horrible off-topic stuff off here!

Seriously, the one thing I have found in reading some off-topic stuff (and there is a fair amount of it *I* don't necessarily care for personally) is that I DO occasionally learn a thing or two.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970