Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Booklet: The First Seven Centuries of Rocketry

I've been back into working on scale drawings for the past 3 years or so. I hope to eventually produce a new edition of "Rockets of the World," but as NARAM was approaching this year, I thought it would be cool to take what I hope will be the first part of the new edition, and turn it into something I could sell at NARAM. So I've just finished a stack of copies of "The First Seven Centuries of Rocketry," a 42-page booklet covering everything from ancient Chinese rockets (the oldest illustration of a rocket was published China in 1350, and included a few dimensions in the text) to the air-launched Le Prieur rockets of WW I. The booklet covers 18 different rockets, almost all of which are unfamiliar subjects. The measurements come from surprisingly detailed old books, as well as museum artifacts.

I'll be selling them at NARAM, and I'll try to sell any remaining copies to vendors who are there. I'm not interested in going back into the mail-order business.

I haven't set the price yet--it's thicker than the 32-page supplements I sold more than a decade ago, so I'm thinking of charging a bit more. No more than an even $20.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 AM
7/21/61

I had the pleasure of helping Pete proofread this book. It's truly wonderful. Don't miss a chance to read it.

Unlike Rockets of The World, "The First Seven Centuries" deals exclusively with fairly simple black powder rockets. It's absolutely fascinating to see how they developed over the years, not just as weapons, but as lifesaving tools as well.

Lots of really interesting info on how early rocketeers dealt with stabilization, nozzles, staging, etc. The drawings are wonderful, as always, but this is some of Peter's very best writing ever. He really succeeds in telling the story of how these rockets came to be and the unique individuals who created them.

Like I said, don't miss a chance to read this book. If you love black powder rockets, you will love The First Seven Centuries of Rocketry.

Steve
Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Master Modeler

Well, here's hoping one of the vendors takes any surplus copies off your hands. Please come back here and let those of us who won't be going to NARAM who that vendor is....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Well, here's hoping one of the vendors takes any surplus copies off your hands. Please come back here and let those of us who won't be going to NARAM who that vendor is....

NARTS and eRockets have them. Keep an eye on their websites to see when they start offering them and at what price.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Peter. I'll give both Randy Boadway and the NARTS folks a couple of days to get back home and recuperate and then I'll check that out.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Peter, please email me. info@usrockets.com