Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
7/21/61

Default Rokitflite Fake Wulf - Awesome kit!

Just finished putting together a Rokitflite Fake Wulf and wanted to tell everyone how truly impressed I was by the kit.

Absolutely ingenious engineering of the pop-pod and glider disengagement mechanism. I don't know if this is Scott's personal invention but it was new to me and is really clever.

Parts in the kit are first rate. Instructions are amongst the best I've ever used, detailing every step with particular attention to steps where it would be easy to make a mistake. I printed up the text-only version to keep at the build table and just reviewed the CD version, with photos, prior to starting each new section. Very straightforward build which was surprising considering how unusual a number of the steps were. Outstanding attention to detail on Scott's part in putting these instructions together.

The number of jigs, templates, and other building aids in the kit are remarkable as well. Way better than anything Estes ever included in a kit. The jigs, etc. absolutely assure correct alignment of crucial parts. Extremely well conceived and executed.

Overall, a really fun build, very novel rocket, and tremendous value for the money.

Kudos, Scott!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FakeWulf.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  107.0 KB  
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Master Modeler

This kit ranks among my favorites. My first two required no trimming and flew away never to be seen again. After several attempts on B6-2, I got bold and launched on C6-3. The boost doesn't look that high until you see it going bye bye!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
This kit ranks among my favorites. My first two required no trimming and flew away never to be seen again. After several attempts on B6-2, I got bold and launched on C6-3. The boost doesn't look that high until you see it going bye bye!

Perhaps a piece of clear tape for an 'up' aileron on one wing side would have induced nice, long turns. Works for me, usually. I need to build mine now! Scott's a nice fellow. Love his 'Odyssey'. Both kits are first rate, as is his service.

Scott, we'd sure love to see some more.......................

Gus, how are you going to paint it, or are you?

Saw one fly at this past year's NSL, and it went a LONG way, but was recovered. Beautiful flight!
Allen
Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Yeah if it is anything like the Odysey then I already know how nice of a kit it is to build. I've been after Scott to "bag" some more so I can get one. I'm sure at some point he'll get another batch ready.

Wish I'd a bought one when I could of

Jim
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag

I plan to do the cammo scheme. Lots of painting suggestions in the instructions.

But right now it's January in Michigan and my kids had the day off from school today due to temps less than zero and high winds.

I'm going to have to experience a little global warming before I can paint.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Yeah if it is anything like the Odysey then I already know how nice of a kit it is to build. I've been after Scott to "bag" some more so I can get one. I'm sure at some point he'll get another batch ready.

Wish I'd a bought one when I could of

Jim

I'm surprised you don't have one already, Jim. I think he had several bagged and tagged for ebay right before Christmas. I'm sure he'll do another batch at some point. I was feeling that way about the Odyssey for quite a while. Had a couple opportunities to get one and let them slip by. I got another chance at NARAM and made sure I snagged one. I've been encouraging him to do more kits also. They really are top notch.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Perhaps a piece of clear tape for an 'up' aileron on one wing side would have induced nice, long turns. Works for me, usually. I need to build mine now! Scott's a nice fellow. Love his 'Odyssey'. Both kits are first rate, as is his service.

Scott, we'd sure love to see some more.......................

Saw one fly at this past year's NSL, and it went a LONG way, but was recovered. Beautiful flight!
Allen

The trim tabs work, but they can be touchy. There isn't much difference between a long, slow turn and a death spiral when it comes to setting the angle on the tab. I had a tab on Fake Wulf #1 and took it off because it wanted to spiral down. I think I tried 2-3 times to set it and said the heck with it. The nose was starting to take a beating. Took off the tab and it flew like a champ, so I left it that way.

The very first launch of Fake Wulf #2 was on a C6 at our club's main field. The field is huge. Went up and away. That was my first chance to see how it was going to behave. I should have played it conservative for the first flight, but I had the room(or so I thought), it was painted red(can't miss it , right?), and had a crowd(which included Scott). We searched that field for a loooong time that day , and I made several trips back to the site to look for it. Gone.

The last one has a few flights but I can't seem to get it trimmed yet. I'm not great at trimming gliders, but I've gotten pretty good. Every time I think I've the trim set right on this one, I'll put it up and it wants to do a tight spiral. I've done the normal things to counter it but nothing has worked so far. I just need to keep playing with it.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Master Modeler

Mine wanted to go straight as built but I finally trimmed it into a big circle using one of the trim tabs supplied. I cut it in half and then cut the non-sticky part in half again. The deflection is very minimal.

The last couple of flights were on C6-3's and it went a long way.

I painted mine in a camo version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Fake Wulf right.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  69.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Fake Wulf left.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  99.4 KB  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
Mine wanted to go straight as built but I finally trimmed it into a big circle using one of the trim tabs supplied. I cut it in half and then cut the non-sticky part in half again. The deflection is very minimal.

The last couple of flights were on C6-3's and it went a long way.

I painted mine in a camo version.

That's a good idea regarding the tab, Bob. I'll have to try that. It doesn't take much, that's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Fake-Wulf-done.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  21.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Fake-Wulf-close-up-777.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  32.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Der Red Wulf.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  85.6 KB  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
7/21/61

"Note: This model is NOT meant to be one of those ultra lightweight competition models that gets finished with a few wipes of magic marker or a couple of light passes with a spray can ! This model was meant to have the balsa smooth and the wings solidly painted. If you try to keep it too light you will end up having to add tail weight to get it to glide correctly so you might as well add it in the form of a nice paint job rather than an ugly lump of clay."
-from the Fake Wulf instruction sheet

It's an amazing testament to the quality of the engineering in this kit that half the conversation thus far is about how to keep this glider from flying away. Anybody used one yet in competition?

By the way, Scott, would you give us a bit of history of the model? How long did it take you to design it, test it, what were your inspirations, etc.? It's really obvious a LOT of work went into this kit.