Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Launch Controller

I've seen a lot of posts on this topic, but not much on the controller I've been considering. I recently built my own PVC pad to replace my porta-pad to provide a more stable platform that won't limit me to LPR. I'm evolving from single black powder motors to composite as well as some cluster designs, so it's time to upgrade from my Estes e-controller to something based on a 12v system. I really like the Mercury Engineering Igniter Lighter. It seems to be high quality and yet retails at a reasonable price. Any concerns or comments?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Old BAR

I've only used the Aerotech unit, and it works quite well.
Allen
Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papated343
I've seen a lot of posts on this topic, but not much on the controller I've been considering. I recently built my own PVC pad to replace my porta-pad to provide a more stable platform that won't limit me to LPR. I'm evolving from single black powder motors to composite as well as some cluster designs, so it's time to upgrade from my Estes e-controller to something based on a 12v system. I really like the Mercury Engineering Igniter Lighter. It seems to be high quality and yet retails at a reasonable price. Any concerns or comments?

I have one, and it is a very reliable unit. Quite rugged. I recommend it, you won't be disappointed. I plug mine into a jumper battery. Fires APCP clusters with no problem (multiple E's -G's).
Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I do not like Facebook

Whatever controller you wind up using, if you ever intend to use Quest Q2G2 igniters, be aware that they require very little current to function - too high a continuity test current can set them off. Test an igniter all by itself with your controller before trying to light a motor with it.

Bill
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Whatever controller you wind up using, if you ever intend to use Quest Q2G2 igniters, be aware that they require very little current to function - too high a continuity test current can set them off. Test an igniter all by itself with your controller before trying to light a motor with it.

Bill
Seconded! Pratt Hobbies makes a hand-held (including the batteries) 12 volt launch controller called the FullBoost (see: http://www.pratthobbies.com/proddet...prod=FBHLS-12AA ), as well as a Pad Relay Module (see: http://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PRM-12 ) that enables a 12 volt battery to be placed right at the launch pad with very short ignition leads (the Pad Relay Module is activated by a model rocket launch controller). The FullBoost launch controller is "Q2G2 continuity test-safe" (EDIT: THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING THIS, BEC!), and it is a small, compact unit for igniting clusters.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 03-17-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Master Modeler

The Pratt Hobbies Full Boost (the 12V 8-AA cell-powered handheld) is in fact Q2G2-safe. Continuity indication is a low-current beeper. My only gripe about it is that it comes with 25-foot leads so it's not usable with Es without an extension, but there's way more than enough lead length for lower impulse stuff.

That said, extensions would be easy since it uses the RCA audio connectors to connect the clip lead to the box.

I will say putting 12V into a Q2G2 means the rocket goes RIGHT NOW!!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

We had Drag Race as an event in our contests in December and also this month. Some people have been using Q2G2 igniters hoping to get an advantage on first motion, but for some odd reason, Estes Solar igniters have been beating them much of the time. We are using a 12v club launch system which can deliver enough current to light all except ridiculously big clusters, so maybe that is the equalizer.

I have been getting great results with a Solar igniter in an Estes B6-4 motor, so the Q2G2s in my stash are still reserved for clusters and airstarts.

Bill
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
The Pratt Hobbies Full Boost (the 12V 8-AA cell-powered handheld) is in fact Q2G2-safe. Continuity indication is a low-current beeper. My only gripe about it is that it comes with 25-foot leads so it's not usable with Es without an extension, but there's way more than enough lead length for lower impulse stuff.
Using the FullBoost to ignite "E" motors with 25' leads? No problem! Just issue surplus lexan police riot shields to the spectators! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That said, extensions would be easy since it uses the RCA audio connectors to connect the clip lead to the box.
Agreed. Radio Shack probably has ready-made 30' or longer audio cables that have the RCA "Phono" plugs and have thick enough conductors to handle the current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Indeed--even the old Estes nichrome wire 'n "pyro-gunk" igniters would fire with no discernable delay when 12 volts were poured into them!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 03-17-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the info one and all! I just got off the phone with someone at Mercury Engineering and they weren't aware of any issues with the Q2G2 igniters. He pointed out the continuity indicator is a piezo beeper like the PH Fullboost, except the Mercury has 40' cables going to the launcher instead of 25'.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Forest Sprite

The reason that controllers such as the Estes Electron Beam and E Launch Controller (and my club's own launch panel, too) is that they use an incandescent bulb in the circuit to indicate continuity. This is a type of design that goes way, way back. The controller for my Electro-Launch pad back in 1967 had one, too. In order for the continuity circuit to light such a bulb, it has to pass an amount of current that is greater than the level that will fire the Quest Q2G2. When I use Q2G2s at my club's launches (and I appear to be the only one who does), the LCO skips the continuity check, announces a "Heads' Up," and fires my rocket with a push of the continuity check button. Launch controllers that use sound (from a piezoelectric buzzer) rather than a lit bulb to signal continuity do not have this problem, because the buzzers require much less current to activate.

12 volt launch controllers that are safe to use with low-voltage igniters include:
  • Pratt Hobbies FullBoost controller
  • Pratt Hobbies Go Box controller
  • AeroTech Interlock Controller
  • Mercury Engineering Igniter Lighter
  • Quest Aerospace Futuristic Launch Controller
  • Heavenly Hobbies LightSword controller (I think)
  • Sunward Aerospace A-G Model Rocket Launch Controller
This is no doubt far from being an exhaustive list. The latter three products (Quest, HH, Sunward) also use a light to signal continuity, too. The lights are low voltage, presumably, probably LEDs.

The Vaughn Brothers Rocketry Unicon launch controller (from Discount Rocketry) may also be safe for low current igniters, since it only uses a buzzer as the signal - I am not familiar enough with this product to say for sure, though.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011