Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecumsecumguy
I'm debating adhesives with my engineering buddy..he is a big fan of the polyurethane glues out now and was suggesting that instead of epoxies.
Besides ghrocketman's good advice, I want to add that polyester glues expand which can make for unpleasant consequences. Yellow (wood) glue, thick and thin CA, and hobby (ie, 15 minute) epoxy pretty much cover most construction needs. Sometimes a little model cement is needed for joining two pieces of styrene. Other than that, I don't see the need for much else, especially glue that's so durned expensive. I 'bout got sticker shock looking at a bottle of Gorilla brand glue at the checkout counter the other day.

Doug
Old 01-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
The 2.6" and larger kits are good candidates for upgrading to 29mm. You can still fly them on 24's with an adaptor. That said, I'm working on a SBB with a 24mm mount, but added 8 smaller tubes for a nine motor cluster.

Fully loaded it will likely have four A10's plugged, four C6's popping the chute and a plugged E9 in the middle. On small fields, I should be able to fly it on four A10's, a D11-P and four A8's, B4's or B6's.

Unlike most Berthas, this one will need noseweight. Not much, but with all nine motors loaded, it's down to 0 CP/CG margin.

Whoa! That's cool! That looks like something that needs to be drawn up as a mini-plan set for BARCLONE, Doug!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Whoa! That's cool! That looks like something that needs to be drawn up as a mini-plan set for BARCLONE, Doug!

I agree, Scott & Doug. Seeing how the model has separate upper and lower body tubes, you could put a bulkhead in that upper section and call it a Super Ranger. That would allow for useful-load ballast instead of dead-weight ballast...

Have you tried this package on RockSim yet?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I agree, Scott & Doug. Seeing how the model has separate upper and lower body tubes, you could put a bulkhead in that upper section and call it a Super Ranger. That would allow for useful-load ballast instead of dead-weight ballast...

Have you tried this package on RockSim yet?
Thanks, guys. Rocksim says the CP is around the forward extent of the fins. With the 4 C's, 4 A10-PT's and an E9, the CG is in about the same spot. It will need 20+ grams near the NC to get a caliber of stability IIRC. (I don't have Rocksim installed on this, my new PC yet, and I'm too lazy to go fire up the old one.)

Fortunately, with the long moment arm, a little noseweight goes a long way.

I thought about a payload section, but elected to just glue the nosecone in and fill the seam. There's no bulkhead forward of the coupler, so much of the recovery harness can be stuffed in there in case the aft section doesn't have enough space.

Instead of using the stock gussets (Wouldn't they be stronger with the grain running radially instead of parallel to the BT?) I applied FNF fillets then glassed over them with strips of 4 oz cloth. The fins have a layer of tissue and dope. They're quite rigid near the glass - rock solid in fact - but still kinda flimsy near the trailing ends so I expect to put another coat of tissue and dope on.

BTW, the drawing for the MMT is here:
http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/BT-80Clusters.pdf The only variation is that two of the BT-5's ended up tight against the center tube while the other two BT-5's are gapped slightly farther outboard. (Reality meets math :)

Doug
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Well..after chasing a ESTES fin guide on Ebay up to $44 I have now decided to build a jig..this doesn't appear to be rocket science...I've got a bit of MDF, a few pieces of hardboard and a router......I've got a rough idea....anyone have a plan?

Great learning experience trying to fill a V2 vac molded fin with epoxy/micro ballons....I'm going to straight epoxy so it will flow in a little easier. Oh well live and learn.