Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
The_Ripper

Default AeroTech Hobby Line RMS Motors

I've always flown single use for D through G power in the past and never really considered the Hobby Line RMS motors before. With the selection and price of single use EconoJet & Hobbyline composite motors what it is today I was wondering what you guys use?

If you had to invest in a system what would you suggest for a first purchase? The RMS-24/40 seems to have a bunch of choices. I was about to rule out the 18mm stuff but there's two D loads specific to that case. Some of the rockets I'm working on building right now (EnerJet Nike-Ram, EnerJet 1340, ect.) are very similar in size to the Semroc SLS Scorpion kit with the heavy walled LT-125 series tubing with LT-115 motor mounts and other parts I purchased from Semroc. I noticed with the RMS-29/40-120 system I could fly all the way from E to G power.

Just poking around and curious what your individual likes/dislikes about the Hobby Line RMS motors are?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page 13 from 2005_aerotech_catalog.pdf (135.5 KB, 142 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 12-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Master Modeler

Random thoughts:

I have both the 20/40 and 40/120 systems.

I use the 29mm system a lot more than the 24mm, but I wouldn't give up the latter.

Sometimes I wish I had TWO 29mm systems, so I could prep a couple of motors ahead of time.

While I've used the D reloads, I see the 24mm set as a substitute for Aerotech's 24mm single-use E motors.

I don't use the sets in models likely to fly away.

Note that the 24mm has some low-impulse F reloads! That provides a lot of flexibility.

I learned to make my own igniters to use with reloads. Copperheads seem to have trouble lighting old (aged) reload grains.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:46 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Random thoughts:

I have both the 20/40 and 40/120 systems.

I use the 29mm system a lot more than the 24mm, but I wouldn't give up the latter.

Sometimes I wish I had TWO 29mm systems, so I could prep a couple of motors ahead of time.

While I've used the D reloads, I see the 24mm set as a substitute for Aerotech's 24mm single-use E motors.

I don't use the sets in models likely to fly away.

Note that the 24mm has some low-impulse F reloads! That provides a lot of flexibility.

I learned to make my own igniters to use with reloads. Copperheads seem to have trouble lighting old (aged) reload grains.

Sounds good. I'm currently looking at the Rouse-Tech hardware at some online vendors. From what I see both the 20/40 and 40/120 systems compliment each other as far as the reload offerings. I see what you mean that other than the D reloads the 24mm set would work well in place of AeroTech E motors.

I'm thinking about getting the 29mm system first, and then the 24mm system. I don't want to rule out the two F loads that are offered for the 24mm system because those are about the same power as todays EconoJets and would probably fair better on a smaller field than the F40 and F52 loads for the 29mm system.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. Rising prices for single use and even the current EconoJets has me looking into these other systems now that my stash of single use motors has dwindled to just a handful of F and G's. I like what I see as far as variety of loads too.

Commonwealth has the 29mm set for $42.46 so unless I find a better price I'll probably get it from them.

http://www.commonwealth.net/cgi-bin...eTech/hobby.htm

What are your favorite reloads?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 12-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

What are your favorite reloads?

I don't think "favorite" is the right word. You use the motor appropriate for the job on hand.

As for what I use most frequently:

24mm: E18 by far!

29mm: F40 and F22. I've flown a few G64 and G33 as well.

I got a whole bunch of reloads from a guy getting out of the hobby, so I have some oddities like D9 that I normally would not have bought. I'll find uses for them!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
As for what I use most frequently:

I probably should have worded it that way .....

I found what I thought to be a good deal and purchased two of the RT-29/40-120 Rouse-Tech hardware sets from Andy Woerner at What's Up Hobbies for $33.99 per set. I haven't purchased any reloads yet but if I'm not mistaken only the E16 and E23 reloads for this set can be shipped without HazMat so if I want anything other than those two loads I'll probably try to stock up a nice mix or just wait and pick them up from a vendor at a launch next year.

The F22 you mentioned looks like it would compare with the F23 EconoJet. The G33 like the G38 EconoJet. I like the longer burn durations of those BlackJack loads. The G64 looks like it has more power than anything AeroTech has to offer in a single use these days.

If you don't mind me asking, what rocket did you fly your G64 and G33 reloads in?
SAM# 0052

Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Master Modeler

I recall flying the G33 in a Sparrow Hawk (THOY kit, 2.6" diameter by 3' or so), and probably some others, circa early 90s.

A few years back, I flew a G64-10 in my "Delta Foxtrot":

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/delta_fox.jpg

This is a light-duty kit (BT-60 to BT-70, plastic cone) so it really moved.

OH! You might want to retrofit your models with really good retention gear.

I put blind nuts in the rear centering rings of my high power models. These are cylindrical screws with threaded interiors you can insert a machine screw into. I use washers and/or wire loops threaded over the machine screws to hold the reload casing in place.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
The_Ripper

Hey thanks for the suggestons. I like your Delta Foxtrot and the font you used for the lettering. Reminds me somewhat of the FSI Nova rocket on steroids.

The two RT-29/40-120 Rouse-Tech hardware sets I purchased should be here Monday. I didn't realize that only the two "E" reloads for this set can be shipped without HazMat whereas all eight loads for the 24mm set fall at the 30gm limit or less to get around the $20 HazMat. I'm going to start with a couple of each of the E16 and E23 reloads.

Most of my HPR rockets use blind nuts with machine screws and washers. These rockets will be using Semroc LT-125 for the main body tubes and will use LT-115 for 29mm motor mounts or LT-115 with an EM-9115 for black powder D or E's. My plan is to make the LT-115 removable so I can slip-fit an LT-115 with an EM-9115 in place of it so the same rocket can use 29mm or 24mm motors. Not sure if I will use a nylon removable rivet or pem nut with a machine screw to accomplish this.
SAM# 0052

Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
The_Ripper

The two RT-29/40-120 Rouse-Tech hardware sets I purchased came in today. I'm thinking of asking Santa for two of the RT-24/40 sets to keep the 29mm sets company in the rangebox

This is nice hardware. Andy Woerner had the best price I could find at any of the online vendors and he shipped in one day. If anyone is interested:

RouseTech Monster Motor Hardware

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RouseTech 29 40-120.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  182.2 KB  
SAM# 0052