Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Default Got Estes Oracle for X-mas; C11-3 ??

My wife got me the Estes Oracle Video-Camera rocket for X-mas , as the new Semroc kits (K-29 S1B, LJII, Mars Lander, and Aero Dart) did not become available before X-Mas.

Anyone on the site have one ?
Like it ?

I have a question regarding the engines for this one: the box reccommends the D12-3 and D12-5 only; I'd like to launch it in my yard with a C11-3 for the first flight; anybody use this engine in the Oracle successfully ?

In the spring I imagine I will try the Estes "D" engines as well as some of my 24mm RMS Aerotech reloads.

Could this fly successfully on an Estes E9-4 or E9-6 ?
Has anyone used these successfully ?
It weighs 7 ounces and is 36" tall with a BT-60 diameter. I have a surplus of Estes E's and would like to try them as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
...I have a question regarding the engines for this one: the box reccommends the D12-3 and D12-5 only; I'd like to launch it in my yard with a C11-3 for the first flight; anybody use this engine in the Oracle successfully ?

In the spring I imagine I will try the Estes "D" engines as well as some of my 24mm RMS Aerotech reloads.

Could this fly successfully on an Estes E9-4 or E9-6 ?
Has anyone used these successfully ?
It weighs 7 ounces and is 36" tall with a BT-60 diameter. I have a surplus of Estes E's and would like to try them as well.

If you can get some fin dimensions & locations on the body tube, and can get the general dimensions of the camera package, such as diameters, shape, length, and weight, I can whip up a Q&D RockSim to check for possible motor ranges, and maybe even a new booster design to allow other motors...

I've seen the model in the LHS, but not "in the wild".

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Master Modeler

My guess is that you'll get a "safe" flight, but not an interesting one as far as the video goes.

I have launched my Oracle on a D12-3, D12-5, and D12-7.

The D12-7 was by far the best, as the boost phase was longest. The descent phase portion of the video, on any of these motors, tends to be a scramble of images as the camera swings around.

I suspect ejection would be at apogee for a non-existent D12-6. A C11-3 might eject near apogee.

Also, the camera (with rocket body attached by a long shock cord) survived a descent, onto a field of freshly turned over dirt, without a parachute. THAT made for an interesting descent phase!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

After launching the camera single-stage on the Oracle booster, I may launch the camera atop an Astron Omega clone.
That would be about as close as one can get to a Cineroc flight without messing around with actual 8mm film (yuck) !

A D12-7 worked out ?
I'd expect a crash (lawn-dart) with a 7 second delay on a rocket that weighs nearly 1/2 pound.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Situation Normal All F'ed Up

I have no intelligent advice to offer you about engine sizes but I'd be really interested in seeing your videos made from it if you have a place to host them. I've got an Oracle on my wish list as well.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I've made three flights with mine....all on D12-3s. Not having a laptop makes it a once a flying day flight. Ejection comes just short of apogee. Nice images of the flight going up but coming down is a bid dizzying (rigged the parachute so the camera is looking down for return). My only problem is the body tube (or more in point the ejection charge from an Estes D12.) On my last flight (back in November), I noticed the body tube is beginning to weaken from the ejection charge (just above the plastic fin unit). In fact, I suspect that if it weren't for the pre-wrapped tubed, it would have already burned through. Since the camera does fit a BT-60, I'm planning on building another carrier for it with a thick walled 24mm engine tube/stuffer tube. Hopefully, the added distance of the stuffer will allow time for the gases to cool before having a chance to ruin the rocket. Would be nice to rig up an interchangeable engine mount so when the stuffer tube burns through, I could just unscrew it and replace it with a new one.......

Don
NAR 53455
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I bought a Semroc Goliath kit and slightly modified it to use as a C11 booster for the Oracle camera.

I've flown the Goliath/Oracle camera combo three times on C11-3 motors. The total flight time is only about 20 seconds but it does work. It's great for small field flying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Goliath & Oracle Camera Rockets.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  85.2 KB