Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Pyromania is life!

Default Ok so...

This might sound very stupid but Im building/ have built a rocket with this very thin walled light pvc, a paper nosecone, and foam board fins, I have 1 problem how should i build a motor mount?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:22 PM
BAR

What motor?? What recovery device??

PVC isn't usually used in model rocketry-- very heavy and brittle material. It can and has been done, but first you have to figure out what type and size of motor you plan to use.

Typically, you'd want to buy a motor tube appropriate for the motor casing, and then probably cut your own centering rings to mate it up centered within the PVC pipe... Probably have to epoxy it all together since nothing else is likely to stick...

For regular rockets, you'd do FAR better getting "off the shelf" standard craft-paper spiral-wound glassine coated tubes from various online rocket vendors for your body tubes. Most also sell various nosecones in balsa and/or blow molded plastic, and sometimes in resin or other materials, which will fit the tubes, in pretty much whatever shape you want. You can also make nosecones from balsa blocks or stock bought at hobby shops or online and glued up into whatever size block you need, and either carved or turned down to size. Another option is to get some thick closed-cell foam insulation board (usually about 1-2 inches thick sheet of foam in a 4x8 sheet) and glue it together using epoxy into whatever size block you need, and then turn that with a drill or small lathe down to the size/shape you desire. Works great.

For fins, balsa sheet from either online vendors or local hobby shops or Hobby Lobby store (if you have them in your area) works great...

For patterns, I highly recommend you visit payloadbay.com-- they have a number of tools for making cardstock or paper nosecones or transitions, and centering rings for motor mounts, etc.

I posted on how to build your own parachutes using mylar party balloons or garbage bags in this thread... http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13138

Later and good luck! OL JR
Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Pyromania is life!

Thanks again man you were a big help!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Pyromania is life!

Default Oh and...

Oh and I kinda didnt make a recovery system for is (becuz yolo riht, shhhhhhhhhhh dont tell the NAR) and this thing is very light (thin wall pvc) so I was planning on using a B6-4 which is probably a bad idea lol
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac
Oh and I kinda didnt make a recovery system for is (becuz yolo riht, shhhhhhhhhhh dont tell the NAR) and this thing is very light (thin wall pvc) so I was planning on using a B6-4 which is probably a bad idea lol

Well, you need SOME kind of recovery system, even if it's only a streamer or "nose blow" recovery, "tumble recovery" or something similar.

Without a recovery system, the rocket will streamline in... could be very dangerous. Not a good thing.

I'd HIGHLY suggest you go online to NARTS or to your local library and get a copy of "The Handbook of Model Rocketry" by G. Harry Stine... It's considered the "bible of model rocketry" and will teach you basically everything you need to know about hobby rocketry, at least starting out and give you the basis you'll need for successful design and flying of model rockets.

Later! OL JR
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Pyromania is life!

Ill probably tape or epoxy a streamer on it then, Ill look into that book.

PS I dont want it to seem like im new to rockets in general i have like 15 kit rockets ive build, im just new to the aspect of custom rocketry.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac
Ill probably tape or epoxy a streamer on it then, Ill look into that book.

PS I dont want it to seem like im new to rockets in general i have like 15 kit rockets ive build, im just new to the aspect of custom rocketry.

Ah, ok... You'll want your streamer or chute to be carried internally and blown out at ejection.

If you've built rockets before, then you should have a pretty good idea about the bare bones basics involved. Building your own is pretty much the same thing, just you have to come up with the design and procure the materials on your own rather than getting everything-prepackaged for you in a kit...

I highly recommend "the Handbook of Model Rocketry". It will explain the principles of stable rocket design and stuff that you'll need to know to build your own designs that will be safe and reliable to fly and recover.

Later and good luck! OL JR
Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Pyromania is life!

I might wanna try a rear ejection parachute because I already epoxied the nose cone on (whoops).

Quinn
NAR Member #98893 JR
SPAAR
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Pyromania is life!

Pic all my rockets im currently working on, the one all the way to the left is the custom one

Quinn
NAR Member #98893 JR
SPAAR
Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Master Modeler

you don't necessarily have to do the rear ejection bit, you could carefully cut the upper section main body tube in half, than craft a tube coupler (instructions are on this site) from a piece of another larger tube or even some cardboard (extra work involved, but not much). While rear ejection is a good alternative, your rocket will be heading for the ground nose first under chute and with a paper nose cone????????

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.