Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
BP Mafia

Default What's in YOUR build queue?

I behaved myself for a while, buit now my backlog of projects is starting to grow again. I ordered a Dr. Zooch Little Joe kit last night. This is a project I'm looking forward to because not only do I love the looks of the Little Joe, I've also heard that the Dr. Zooch kits are a kick to build. As I mentioned elsewhere on here, I also bought a couple of rockets from Scott "Beer Skunk" McCrate's overloaded kit coffers, those being an Estes Strikefighter and Estes Wildfire. The Strikefighter is one that I've always been a fan of, and the Wildfire was one of the very first "OOP" kits that I won on Ebay. I used the nose and tail cone for a Satellite Interceptor clone, then built the rest of the rocket and subbed in a different nose cone. It was one of my favorite B6-4 Field fliers, but got treed one afternoon and was gone by morning. (I also wanted to scan the kit for YORP if they're still needed.) Scott was also kind enough to loan me some scale data on the Pershing Missile. His data is for a BT-80 bird, but I can scale it down for BT-60 and BT-70, which happen to be the size of the two cones that I bought from Sandman this spring. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting one of those going. The PD Rocketry U.S.S. Atlantis is ready for final assembly and the new decals are on the way, so that should be flying shortly. I also picked up another Holverson Wicked Winnie, only this one is a balsa bird. Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Craftsman

Well,

I still have to finish my Estes Saturn V, Semroc SST shuttle, and Estes Outlander.

Next to start:

Thrustline Gyroc, Sprite

Semroc X21, Marslander

Estes Argosy, Big daddy, Deep space transport, Renegade,

Fliskits Stingray

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Estes SR-71 given to me by my kids Xmas '05
several scratch builds...one 3 24mm cluster, one 24mm 3 stage, 1 13mm 3 stage
a clone Centuri mini dactyl BG

Need to get some time from chores and sports (kids).

Joe W
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Well, my signature on TRF claims that I have 40+ kits still in the packaging, and there's no reason to doubt that.

Meanwhile, I hope to actually *paint* my Rokitflite Odyssey this evening if I'm not asked to take my kids to the Y to go swimming.

I'm also working on a Quest Zenith II payloader that I bought 2 years ago. The mnotor mounts and stage coupler are assembled and installed, with the fins, payload section and nose cone, and recovery system still to go. Oh, and painting, etc.

Um, I just bought an ASP V-2 from Romie Lucas and an Estes Trident clone kit from the newly renamed PD Rocketry.

I have a balsa Holversion Designs Wicked Winnie kit that I bought from John Arthur of jonrocket.com at NARCON this spring, but I still haven't decided if I'll open it and build it or not.

Plus a bunch of parts and pieces that could be assembled into who knows what?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!

Last edited by JRThro : 07-12-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer

Joe W

Be careful what you wish for, I broke a small bone in my wrist a month ago. No chores and I can't work (three cheers for workmans comp!), but it's my right wrist so no rocket building ! Talk about a dull month.

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Master Modeler

Default Centuri Mini Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
Estes SR-71 given to me by my kids Xmas '05
several scratch builds...one 3 24mm cluster, one 24mm 3 stage, 1 13mm 3 stage
a clone Centuri mini dactyl BG

Joe W

Your clone of the Centuri Mini-Dactyl might end up being better suited for display; every
model of this type I've seen flown (including my own) has always met with pod separation
before it even clears the launch rod. If you can build with two Mini-Dactyl on the same pop
pod, it'll probably balance out and will work. I built my original Centuri with a single glider
for NAR B/G competition purpose, but have yet to see it fly safely. Don't remember where
the kit materials are for the second glider (got lost somewhere over the years I've had
this, like 20+ years...).
Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor

Wallyum, a 4" Goblin with a SANDMAN cone (not the one in this picture).
http://mailman.thegeek.nu/~dahanson...blin_990911.jpg
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Your clone of the Centuri Mini-Dactyl might end up being better suited for display; every
model of this type I've seen flown (including my own) has always met with pod separation
before it even clears the launch rod. If you can build with two Mini-Dactyl on the same pop
pod, it'll probably balance out and will work. I built my original Centuri with a single glider
for NAR B/G competition purpose, but have yet to see it fly safely. Don't remember where
the kit materials are for the second glider (got lost somewhere over the years I've had
this, like 20+ years...).

I've built both the single and double glider versions and have flown them several times. The only pod trouble I ever had was when I used it for a 1/2 A BG contest flight last year and I got TWO red barons in a row! I had launched the exact same one at the same site the previous month and it worked perfectly three times. This is my 5th or 6th clone in the last few years.

Joe W
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

I need to finish a half dozen or more projects that I've started over the years. Some are complete except for filling, sanding and finishing. Others are in various stages of construction. I made a promise to myself that I'd finish a rocket or two for every new rocket project I start, but I hate filling and sanding so it's going to be hard to keep my word.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I need to finish a half dozen or more projects that I've started over the years. Some are complete except for filling, sanding and finishing. Others are in various stages of construction. I made a promise to myself that I'd finish a rocket or two for every new rocket project I start, but I hate filling and sanding so it's going to be hard to keep my word.

I don't guess half-finishing two rockets for every new one you start helps much, does it?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!