Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Nike Vet

Thanks again! I mentioned in a previous post that I ditched the antenna idea. Actually, if you look closely at the last picture I posted, I did add the antenna. Look closely at the antenna fins and you'll see the "feedhorns" I added. I think I'll overlay the fin hinges with the scale print provided to give the rocket a more "detailed" look.

The most difficult assembly for me was:

1. Sanding the transition for a correct fit.
2. Sanding the booster cluster fins.
3. Fitting the booster cluster wrap. I did mine by cutting to fit the fin root after gluing the fins to each booster tube. One note of caution (for me anyhow) to make sure the booster fins are glued to the booster tube so the fin extends about 1/4" from the end of the booster tube.
4. Fitting the hinges and antenna to each sustainer fin.

I used Kilz gray primer and Rust-Oleum Enamel to finish the rocket. Also, I used Elmer's white glue throughout and finish sanded with #600. Balsa grain was filled using Hobbico HobbyLite and sanded.

I'm pleased with the results and recommend this kit to anyone. My next build will the 18mm version. That will complete my Nike missile collection.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Nike Vet

I added more detail by gluing the fin hinges and the transition rivets on the rocket. I made one mistake while doing it. Can you spot it? I'll feel better if you can't. As you can see, I opted to copy the outline to plain paper (made it thinner) then just glued onto the transition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01187.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  149.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01186.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  112.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01189.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  148.0 KB  
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312
I added more detail by gluing the fin hinges and the transition rivets on the rocket. I made one mistake while doing it. Can you spot it? I'll feel better if you can't. As you can see, I opted to copy the outline to plain paper (made it thinner) then just glued onto the transition.

I know but I won't say. It's so minor really.

BTW I am just finished a few more kits.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Nike Vet

Not to push it but should I send money now for the 18mm? Is the 18mm a scaled down Nike in all aspects or are there pieces that are added/deleted? What other, if any changes will we see? Just curious. Can't wait to start another project.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Craftsman

Quote:

Well it looks nicely done The rivet detail should extend the to bottom of the upper lip. It still looks nice.

Lurker
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Nike Vet

Uh oh, that's another "mistake" I made! Sandman...question. The transition I received is essentially as I finished it. That is, The only stock I removed was from each side to form the contour which meets the booster. Was I to also remove stock from either end of the transition to make it shorter than it is? Somehow I missed it if that's so! It looks like I should have removed quite a bit of stock from either end. If from the booster end, it would not mate with the booster tubes. From the bow, it would have negated any contour that was in the transition. Maybe the rivet overlay was too short but it was copied from the card stock included with the kit. I looked at your completed rocket and yes it appears your transition is shorter than mine. Anyhow, I'm curious as to how I missed that! Oh again. That depends on how I read lurker01's reply! The transition is 3 &1/8" while the rivet overlay is 2&1/4 long".

Last edited by zeke1312 : 08-13-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Uh oh, that's another "mistake" I made! Sandman...question. The transition I received is essentially as I finished it. That is, The only stock I removed was from each side to form the contour which meets the booster. Was I to also remove stock from either end of the transition to make it shorter than it is? Somehow I missed it if that's so! It looks like I should have removed quite a bit of stock from either end. If from the booster end, it would not mate with the booster tubes. From the bow, it would have negated any contour that was in the transition. Maybe the rivet overlay was too short but it was copied from the card stock included with the kit. I looked at your completed rocket and yes it appears your transition is shorter than mine. Anyhow, I'm curious as to how I missed that! Oh again. That depends on how I read lurker01's reply!

Not being picky as you did a FANTASTIC job. If you ever entered this bird into sport scale, you should win hands down.

Ok, the fillet towards the nose cone separation point stands out a bit. The rivet detail is too short and from your photo seems to be a little off center. One other thing. I notice that on the booster, your fins at the trailing edge root meet the motor tube. From the pictures and scale data, they sweep outward and away from the motor. Check out this photo: http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/a...ike_herc_17.jpg The trailing edge of the fins at the root 'rake' outward. And the fins extend beyond the rear of the motor tubes.

Now I am being extremely picky! But I think with your next model, it will win or at least place in scale competition. The nice thing about Sandman's kits is that even if you do a so-so job, the kits are so complex, they look good even unpainted. Reminds me of rubber and tissue models. Sometimes placing the tissue on them hides the real beauty in the construction.

Lurker
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Not to push it but should I send money now for the 18mm? Is the 18mm a scaled down Nike in all aspects or are there pieces that are added/deleted? What other, if any changes will we see? Just curious. Can't wait to start another project.

I'm still finishing the 4 x 24mm kits. The 18mm kits won't be ready until late fall.

The 18mm kits will just be a downscale of the 24mm. No changes at all. I won't even need to change the instructions much.

The biggest difference is the 18mm version is a lot easier to transport!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Other than the transition details being on the wrong side (openings in line with US ARMY decal), I thought it looked pretty good. The detail data provided with the instruction disc doesn't show the rivets going to the top of the transition (I'm assuming that's what lurker01 meant). However, the same referenced data does show another set of rivets at that point.

I didn't notice your fins but noticed you did post that the fins should extend beyond the booster tubes. The fin pattern overlays have this offset printed on them. That would make the root edge even with the bottom of the booster tubes and the trailing edge ~1/8 to 1/4 beyond the booster tubes.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Nike Vet

I remember after I attached the booster fins that they should have extended maybe .125 beyond the end of the booster. I didn't realize that until I installed the boost wrap. Another thing I should have done is add the booster template included in the kit but Sandman eluded not to use for that purpose only to hold/align the booster tubes. Hindsight tells me I should have added. I didn't plan to add the sustainer fin rivets. Thanks for the critique as it helps me tweek the fine points. In my area as far as I know there's not much "rocket people" to bounce things off and learn the finer points. In any case I'm pleased with the end result and for the time being at least, I won't make it airborne. My goal is to have 2 Nike Ajax and 2 Nike Hercules to complete my "collection. I hope to "acquire" one of Sandman's launcher kits if/when available. Not sure what you mean by rivet detail too short/off center.