Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Master Modeler

Default New Estes Saturn V clue.

I was over on the other rocket forum just looking around when I came across this somewhat puzzling statement talking about the new Saturn V release.

A person had stated " I just finished the last iteration of the Saturn V, so I won't be picking up the new version, but I don't have a Little Joe yet."

Then John Boren posted "The new version is completely new. The only thing the same are the injection molded fins and most of the body tubes."

So this sounds like a big clue as to maybe some new thinking on the Saturn V.

Any others want to jump in an offer a guess what this might mean?
I personally would like to see some way to fly it with the F-1 engine attached.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Wild guesses? I'm good at that.

The Saturn isn't a high volume item. A good number of customers that buy them are us folks that already have a couple built and a couple more in the box for a rainy day.

The various Estes and Centuri versions aren't all that accurate, so if they make some changes, we will come more near buying two or three. Internally, I wouldn't be surprised if it has a 29mm mount or even an interchangeable mount.

Better, scale detail would be the factor that would make me buy one or two. I can modify internals such as motor mounts with any previous version, so that's not a selling point to me. Heck, I designed and implimented an interchangeable mount for my Centuri Saturn V kit when I was a kid after seeing the Centuri Power System Outfit in a catalog. However, a 29mm mount would be a selling point for a lot of folks.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Craftsman

I thought they were coming out with a 1/200 scale version, are they doing two?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Master Modeler

The 1/100 is the version listed in the 2018 catalog and showing as “Coming Nov 18” on the AC Supply website. The smaller version was teased several times over the summer and is rumored to be a plastic RTF model - either molded or 3D printed. Both are exciting rockets for the moon landing anniversary year!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Sounds like they have completely re-done all the corrugated wraps. That was one of the biggest changes made to the 1/45 Little Joe II (compared to the original Centuri version) when it was re-released.

May possibly have an Apollo 11-specific wrap/decal for the SM as well.

Bottom line, what Boren DID say certainly sounds interesting.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

At NARAM 60 it was mentioned a few times that this version of the 1/100 Saturn V was going to be more Apollo 11 specific. I don't know exactly what that would mean in terms of changes. But so far the kit is now #1969, John Boren has hinted at many changes, and I do know what the "bonus" in the kit is (not allowed to say). I guess Apollo 11 specific will be the reality. As for the other Saturn V, a prototype was quickly shown at the NARAM 60 vendors meet, but not a lot of details were given. It looked to be about 1/200 scale, RTF or ARF, and is geared to be a big seller during the Apollo 11 anniversary sales push next year.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Sounds like they have completely re-done all the corrugated wraps. That was one of the biggest changes made to the 1/45 Little Joe II (compared to the original Centuri version) when it was re-released.

May possibly have an Apollo 11-specific wrap/decal for the SM as well.

Bottom line, what Boren DID say certainly sounds interesting.

Earl

What kind of plastic IS the wrap of the Little Joe II? ABS?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078

Last edited by jeffyjeep : 11-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Master Modeler

John has posted on the other forum. The other Saturn V was briefly shown at the NARAM 60 manufacturers forum. It will be a 1/200 scale model, all molded in plastic and completely painted and ready to fly other then attaching the parachute.

"So the wraps will be new?"

Other then the new injection molded fins that made it into the last release every other piece of plastic is new. There is in fact a completely New plastic item that will make the build much easier while adding more scale detail. The capsule and escape tower are a piece of cake to assemble now. This version should be a more accurate version of the Apollo 11 launch vehicle.

John Boren
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
John has posted on the other forum. The other Saturn V was briefly shown at the NARAM 60 manufacturers forum. It will be a 1/200 scale model, all molded in plastic and completely painted and ready to fly other then attaching the parachute.

"So the wraps will be new?"

Other then the new injection molded fins that made it into the last release every other piece of plastic is new. There is in fact a completely New plastic item that will make the build much easier while adding more scale detail. The capsule and escape tower are a piece of cake to assemble now. This version should be a more accurate version of the Apollo 11 launch vehicle.

John Boren

I'll take a guess that the S-II interstage is the new plastic item.

Though as someone at our launch mentioned to me today, it would be nice if the F1 fairings were injection molded and more conformal to the tube (the person at our launch had applied thick epoxy/microballoon fillets to their F1 fairings).

is the cm/sm conduit bigger and on the opposite side of the cm? (indicative of block 2 CM instead of the block 1 cm that the original parts were designed from)?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Master Modeler

A little more from John. "I would say it's a little more robust then before but it's much easier to build now."

John Boren