Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Default Coaster's 1962 Catalogue

I've posted a PDF of the 1962 Coaster Corporation catalog on PayloadBay.com.

There are some interesting things in it. For example, fuses are available for deploying the parachute.

-- Roger
Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Roger,

Can I post this on YORP?

I have an older version up here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/...coaster-cat.pdf
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Roger,

Can I post this on YORP?

I have an older version up here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/...coaster-cat.pdf

In exchange for a credit with a link back to PayloadBay.com? :-)

-- Roger

Last edited by jadebox : 10-24-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

This is an interesting document. I had previously known and posted that the original Coaster BP motors were nothing more than fireworks or pyrotechnic "skyrockets". I had discussed this fact with Randy Lieberman in a past conversation and he verified that for me. I also had known that the original Coaster engines did not have an "intergral" delay train or ejection charge; this catalog verfies that it used a fuse delay train along with BP as a "burst charge".......

I am guessing that those 2 chemicals are charcoal and a premix of sulfur/KNO3....mixed together you get BP.

This is cleqrly fireworks technology. Burst charge has a different meaning for fireworks than ejection charge does for model rocket engines. Of course they basically end up doing the same thing.

I now understand why Orv Carlisle sent a cease and desist order to Coaster Corp alleging patent infringement in 1959.

Evidently Menford Sutton had by then, seen the MMi Rock-A-Chute motors with their integrated delay train/ejection charges and borrowed his design. Of course the Orv Carlisle model rocket engine itself was just a new combination of old fireworks technology, so Menford ignored the letter.

On the other hand, as early as 1958 Richard Goldsmith(central Rocket co), a very good and old friend of Orv Carlisle and fellow pyrotechnist, had published several documents showing how to make what he called model rocket motors that are pyrotechnic skyrockets with an integrated delay train/ejection charge..... There's no doubt in my mind that Goldsmith was well aware of what Orv was doing as Goldsmith later sold Orv's Rock-A-Chutes and also was an old pyrotech buddy.

Thanks Jadebox for this.

Terry Dean

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 05-02-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
In exhange for a credit with a link back to PayloadBay.com? :-)

-- Roger

No problem, thanks.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox

There are some interesting things in it. For example, fuses are available for deploying the parachute.

Fuses weren't uncommon in rocketry at one time. Most people think about ignition, but they were used as delays for ejection, for dethermalizing gliders in competition, ignition of separated upper stages, etc.

Up until the BATFE stuck their noses in the hobby, we were able to use thermalite, which comes in several burn rates. Many people didn't know about fuse use outside of the competition folks because Estes/Centuri were their only rocketry connections. Once HPR became popular, thermalite became almost mainstream.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Forest Sprite

Hmmm...those models look almost... clone-able....

Now, if one of us decides to clone them, and the pattern of subsequent developments continues...

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Master Modeler

Mitchell Pines once showed my a slightly-later-vintage Coaster catalog. It had booster motors, and entries for the Centauri boost glider. Mitch had a few actual Coaster rockets. Maybe the Centuri, for sure one of the three fin and a nose cone models. He flew that one!

The three fin and a nose cone models in the 1962 catalog look very sturdy and retro. I'd love to get more information on them.

Parts-wise, we could probably guess that they were similar to early Centuri "large scale rocketry" kits. Centuri carried Coaster motors.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Mitchell Pines once showed my a slightly-later-vintage Coaster catalog. It had booster motors, and entries for the Centauri boost glider. Mitch had a few actual Coaster rockets. Maybe the Centuri, for sure one of the three fin and a nose cone models. He flew that one!

The three fin and a nose cone models in the 1962 catalog look very sturdy and retro. I'd love to get more information on them.

Parts-wise, we could probably guess that they were similar to early Centuri "large scale rocketry" kits. Centuri carried Coaster motors.
The Garber collection of G. Harry Stine's models includes the Saturn Probe 1. It uses the 2.0" tube (our LT-200). Bob helped me get some good photos of the fins (one was broken off to get it in the drawer). I just have not had the time to release the parts and was not sure how much interest there was in Coaster.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The Garber collection of G. Harry Stine's models includes the Saturn Probe 1. It uses the 2.0" tube (our LT-200). Bob helped me get some good photos of the fins (one was broken off to get it in the drawer). I just have not had the time to release the parts and was not sure how much interest there was in Coaster.
Oh, I, for one, would definitely be interested. Just like the RDC Rawhide, it would be a rather unusual retro-repro that would illustrate a rocket from a company other than Estes or Centuri. (Even though it would be an ancestor or predecessor of Centuri from an earlier time - kind of like the Neanderthal. )

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011