Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickershock23
I have never tried it, but I am SURE you can. I mean whats the difference between card stock and vinyl? blade depth?

As for giving away secrets. well yes I did a little bit, but remember I have all the software and all the artwork too. plus a website.. there is more to a buisness selling decals than just a Cutter. I didn't tell you anything about my printer cutter, you need any old OPP decals small? printed on vinyl? I can do that. Heck you need a car or a trailer wrapped? I can do that too.. and like you said you would still come to me for your needs.

Thanks

The Cricut is very finicky about material- it'll cut typing paper but no thinner. It has adjustable blade depth, but that's pretty easy to figure out. The hard part for me has been finding the optimal cutting speed and blade pressure (all adjustable). I assume if the Cricut can do it, the pro machines are the same.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
The Cricut is very finicky about material- it'll cut typing paper but no thinner. It has adjustable blade depth, but that's pretty easy to figure out. The hard part for me has been finding the optimal cutting speed and blade pressure (all adjustable). I assume if the Cricut can do it, the pro machines are the same.

You also want to go as much pressure as it takes to cut through but not much more or you cut into the runner under the blade, thats the trick. I have spent HOURS trying to get the perfect blade depth on my machines.. then the blade wears so you adjust it. then it wears more so you replace it.. then you start all over again.. viscous circle..
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Roland equipment is nice stuff.
I have a Roland-DG pen-plotter from the mid 80's and it still runs well.
With a name like Roland, most would NOT think it is a Japanese company though and a lot of people are unaware that they make things other than musical keyboards used by Duran Duran.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Old Rocketeer

Looks like the "Make the Cut" software works with other cutters besides the Cricut, like the CraftROBO and Roland cutters. So at least you could use the Cricut initially and move up to a better cutter at a later time.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I do not like Facebook

Is there a thickness limit with the Cricut? To get to the point, can it be used to cut fins from a sheet of balsa or basswood?

Or am I just begging to be frustrated?

Bill
Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I doubt it would do that. the blades on my roland and desay machines are VERY SMALL remember they are designed to cut vinyl a 2 or 3 mil max.

Of course you could theoretically put a laser cutter in place of the blade holder and slow the cutter down to a speed where it cuts through the balsa. ... (runs out to shop)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

If you want to cut what YOU want to cut, you need something like a Wishblade, Craft ROBO or Silhouette machine. And they all cost less than the Cricut.

Disclaimer: Still haven't actually bought one. Looking strongly at the Silhouette, as they can be had for about $190.00 with free shipping through an Amazon partner.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Very neat, Sol! Those look like they might have a lot of good uses in rocketry (especially paper rocketry!)

Greg