Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Barone inquired:

"Chas....I note you're a retired missile tech.....which system?"

Sorry I missed you at NARAM. Kind of hard when we don't have website names on our nametags.

My first system was the AGM-28B Hound Dog missile. It was already being phased out. Air-breathing turbojet with a megaton of fun in the nose. One of the first missiles to use radar-asorbing materials. In this case in the air inlet. Rumor had it that they put one in full-throttle at high altitude and reached Mach 4. Rumor, I repeat.

Next was the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. I put the first line of SRAM on alert at Mather AFB, CA. The dual-pulse motor was the first stage of the proposed nti-satellite weapon that was tested from an F-15. The system was retired mainly due to the senitive HE in the W-69 warhead. The motors were still good and were purchased by a defense company.

Added the AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile in 1980 or so. A ton and half of turbofaned cruise missile. Most of them were later converted to the "C" conventional version. See Desert Storm and Gulf War I.

Tagged for the BGM-109G Gryphon Ground Launched Cruise Missile, a modified Navy Tomahawk. The Army and Air Force fought over who would field the system in Europe. The Air force lost. The Army had the Pershing II and both were retired along with the USSR SS-20. We are talking the Cold War here for you youngsters.

Last system was the AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile. Just barely got it into operation at Carswell Air Plane Patch here in Fort Worth when they decided to close the SAC unit here. The few remaining B-52H models carry the ACM externally, which is too large to fit on a rotary launcher in the BUFF's bomb bay. The B-52H is finally a stand-off cruise missile carrier. Penatrating missions now belong to the B-2A Stealth Bombers. Perhaps augmented by things we don't know about. The Pentagon doesn't tell me this stuff.

None of these missiles would really do well as a scale model. Don't think I haven't thought about a large Hound Dog....

Chas
Sounds like you were around a while. I started duty with the Titan II in Arkansas. When SAC phased those out, I moved to ALCMs (AGM-86B) and the B-52s at Eaker AFB in Arkansas (you see a pattern...?). When they closed that base, I moved to SAC HQ in the ICBM Operations section (working with Minuteman and Peacekeeper missiles). Then they shut down SAC (I was in Omaha a little over a year) and moved the ICBM operations to ACC (previously TAC) HQ at Langley. Then, a little under a year later, they moved the ICBM operations to Space Command in Colorado Springs. I moved more the last six years I was in the military than I had the previous 14!

While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm. The pylons almost doubled the load the buff could carry each mission.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Master Modeler

Hello fellow missile techs. I worked on LGM-30G, Minuteman III at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota.

Mario
Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

AGM-78 while assigned to VA-115 and forward deployed on the USS Midway 1981-84
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Don brought back memories:
"While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm."

Don't I know that! Wow, we had them here at Carswell AFB (now the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth Carswell Field). They had modified the Hound Dog mating area (covered with a "canoe" when empty) to carry pylons for the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. The engineers decided that unlike the winged Hound Dog, the SRAM were dead weight and would crack the wing box. Solution? Put ALCM pylons that were bigger and had another additional 6K pounds of missiles on the them. That'll work.
The 7th Bomb Wing here was a double wing and had a large conventional as well as SIOP mission. I was one of the few folks assigned to the Munitions Maintenance Squadron who had a Hound Dog background. The HD pylon was modified with a strongback to hold the ejector racks for conventional weapons. I ran the Weapons Release section for over a year. Got real intimate with BUFF wiring, some of it original from the factory.

It is good to see the military presence here on the forum. I remind folks that I was a model rocketeer first. Then a missileman.

After 21.5 years in service, I have always thought of myself as a patriot. My wife reminds me that I am a minuteman...

Chas
E-7, Master Sergeant, USAF
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Don brought back memories:
"While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm."

Don't I know that! Wow, we had them here at Carswell AFB (now the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth Carswell Field). They had modified the Hound Dog mating area (covered with a "canoe" when empty) to carry pylons for the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. The engineers decided that unlike the winged Hound Dog, the SRAM were dead weight and would crack the wing box. Solution? Put ALCM pylons that were bigger and had another additional 6K pounds of missiles on the them. That'll work.
The 7th Bomb Wing here was a double wing and had a large conventional as well as SIOP mission. I was one of the few folks assigned to the Munitions Maintenance Squadron who had a Hound Dog background. The HD pylon was modified with a strongback to hold the ejector racks for conventional weapons. I ran the Weapons Release section for over a year. Got real intimate with BUFF wiring, some of it original from the factory.

It is good to see the military presence here on the forum. I remind folks that I was a model rocketeer first. Then a missileman.

After 21.5 years in service, I have always thought of myself as a patriot. My wife reminds me that I am a minuteman...

Chas
E-7, Master Sergeant, USAF
Talk about small world...I ran the Weapons Release Section at Eaker! Before they moved me to the Munitions Storage Area to work with the ALCMs. I've been out for over 10 years now and every once in a while have a flashback to aircraft generation on the flightline....flashback...I mean nightmare
Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Master Modeler

Hey Loretta....it was great to meet you and your crew at NARAM. Did you ever find that backslider that seemed to have vanished in thin air?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Lady Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Hey Loretta....it was great to meet you and your crew at NARAM. Did you ever find that backslider that seemed to have vanished in thin air?

You 2.
Ya we found it. It went in the other direction than that which it was last seen.

Loretta
Hawks Hobby
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Craftsman

Default NARAM Auction mystery box revealed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well....I know who supplied the mystery box......

Mystery solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Atlas 1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  12.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Atlas 2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  10.9 KB