Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Master Modeler

Default Semroc Hawk build

Today I started building a Semroc Hawk I got for Christmas. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

One quick question. In the instructions it says you will need both wood glue and CA(crazy glue). No place in the instructions does it say which glue to use. It seems to me to be the perfect model to use wood glue on throughout. I don't know where I would use CA, except maybe to tack a couple of pieces together while the wood glue dries.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
Today I started building a Semroc Hawk I got for Christmas. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

One quick question. In the instructions it says you will need both wood glue and CA(crazy glue). No place in the instructions does it say which glue to use. It seems to me to be the perfect model to use wood glue on throughout. I don't know where I would use CA, except maybe to tack a couple of pieces together while the wood glue dries.

Has anyone else noticed this?
It should say either/or. For the test models, I had four Boy Scouts with no previous experience with gliders build them from the instuctions with only CA. They had them ready to fly in less than 30 minutes and turned in times of 20-40 seconds with 1/2A engines.

It does not state which because it is up to the builder. I tend to use CA sparingly to hold it together, then follow up with thin yellow glue fillets done as the final (before finishing) step. The Scouts completely skipped the fill/sand/paint steps.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks Carl. This is going to be a fun build.

I've already made my first mistake. I glued the nose cone on already. No problem. If I need to add some weight to the nose cone to trim it, I'll just thread a screw through the body tube into the nose cone with a pair of very long needle nose pliers.

I've used two light coats of balsa filler coat on the wood. I just can't stand wood grain. I'm going to go really light on the primer to keep the weight down and then go with a very light top coat.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

Mine is built also. It was #6......I'm a baaaaad boy. I used wood glue for everything. Nose cone is not glued yet. It's had one coat of balsa filler so far and I'll probably add a couple more with light primer and paint. That balsa filler reminded me why I like FNF so much. With proper sanding I'm sure I can keep it light enough for sport flying. When I was attaching those little triangular pieces on the rear, I couldn't help but think a tabbed joint to the horizontal stabilizer might be a good idea. They are marked with the laser so that helped a great deal with alignment.