Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Craftsman

Default Aerotech Arcas

More questions....another one of my favorite rockets was the Estes Arcas....i found out that Aerotech has a kit...does anyone have any opinions about this kit as a first mid or high power rocket to build and fly? Im not sure if it is considered a mid power or high power rocket...im hoping its considered a mid power ship....i did notice that the body tube diameter on the Aerotech kit appears to be the same from top to bottom, where the Estes kit that i built had a tapered tail cone....different models of the full size sounding rocket perhaps? Just wondering.......GOD this stuff is FUN!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Go with the SEMROC SLS Arcas kit.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KS-5

Much more accurate and more fun to build.

BTW, it does have a tail cone!

It can fly on a" D12-3" up to an "H128-10"

I believe...not positive, the SEMROC kit is half scale. The real Arcas was 4.5" in diameter and the SEMROC kit is 2.25".

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

We are working on a 1/3 scale version (BT-58) that will fly with 18mm B and C engines. I saw a well built Estes version at NARAM-52 and started from that scale, but the boat tail would only hold 13mm engines and be the correct scale, so the 1/3 scale worked perfectly.

The SLS Arcas is 1/2 scale, but requires much bigger engines!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Carl

I had sent you an e-mail through the semroc website did you not get it ?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Go with the SEMROC SLS Arcas kit.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KS-5

Much more accurate and more fun to build.

BTW, it does have a tail cone!

It can fly on a" D12-3" up to an "H128-10"

I believe...not positive, the SEMROC kit is half scale. The real Arcas was 4.5" in diameter and the SEMROC kit is 2.25".

The AeroTech kit is a model of the HV version of the Arcas and is accurate. The HV Arcas was used as the upper stage of a two-stage sounding rocket (Sparrow-Arcas, for example).

The Aerotech HV Arcas can fly on F & G motors. With modifications, it will handle a K1500!

I recently 'retired' my HV Arcas after over 50 flights.

Bob
Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson
...i found out that Aerotech has a kit...does anyone have any opinions about this kit as a first mid or high power rocket to build and fly? Im not sure if it is considered a mid power or high power rocket...im hoping its considered a mid power ship........GOD this stuff is FUN!
This is a mid power kit, though it can be modified to fly high power motors, as I did recently with an AT Astrobee-D. Aerotech kits are great first mid-powered kits, and fly primarily on F and G motors. They go together easily, don't require much sanding, with the plastic fins & NC, and are quite tough. That said, the Semroc Arcas is a darn nice kit too, and being smaller and much lighter, will fly decent on much smaller motors.

I remember thinking how big the Estes Arcas looked in the '73 catalog - heck, it was bigger than a Saturn V!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Bill,

I love building the Estes version but I extend the body tube to 20.25 inches for better scale accuracy and use Semroc laser cut fins. I bet I have two or three in the partially built pile.

I agree with Gordy (Sandman), for mid to high power, go with the Semroc.

I am excited to hear about a possible Semroc 18mm version. Sign me up! Carl, maybe you could make the Super Arcas version that NASA flew up until just a few years ago. There is documentation in the Small Sounding Rockets book by Richard Morrow. Its a boattail Arcas with two motor sections welded end to end and the usual Arcas payload section. A little Day-glo orange paint and Badda-Bing, Super Arcas! I volunteer to do the beta testing.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 09-05-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Craftsman

There certainly is no lack of input and info on this forum...........I LOVE IT! Mark, the Estes Arcas that i built 100YEARS AGO (it seems like!) was another one of my favorite ships!! After i get my parts and stuff from semroc for my Sprint, im positive that i will get an ARCAS from them also! Tell ya somethin else.....ive been racin R/C nitro hydros for 30 years and even at todays prices, depending on what level of rocketry one wants to be envolved in...........model rocketry is WWWAAAYYY easier on the pockets!!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson
More questions....another one of my favorite rockets was the Estes Arcas....i found out that Aerotech has a kit...does anyone have any opinions about this kit as a first mid or high power rocket to build and fly? Im not sure if it is considered a mid power or high power rocket...im hoping its considered a mid power ship....i did notice that the body tube diameter on the Aerotech kit appears to be the same from top to bottom, where the Estes kit that i built had a tapered tail cone....different models of the full size sounding rocket perhaps? Just wondering.......GOD this stuff is FUN!

Yes, the Arcas was normally launched by itself from a breech launcher (a tube, with plastic inserts surrounding the rocket to keep it centered in the tube). The one that Aerotech models is the HV Arcas. The same motor, but with a different fin can, mating it to a large Sparrow booster. It was flown off a rail. Apparently, two different nose cones were used on it. Aerotech models the 5:1 ogive instead of the secant ogive, but I've never seen a picture of a real Arcas with the regular ogive. NARHAMS member Alan Williams is reported to have an inert Sparrow stage stashed somewhere.

(Peter Alway lists the Arcas NAR designation as P1500; the Sparrow as P35000)
Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Here's a picture of the AeroTech HV Arcas being flown during the Manufacturer's demo at NARAM-32.

The motor was either a F25 or a G40.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  AeroTech HV Arcas at NARAM-32.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  324.1 KB