Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes E-15

I cant find any info on it so I thought I would ask. The Estes -15 was discontinued in late 95-96. I know this because I tried to order some direct from estes and they told me so. What was the deal with them? Why were they discontinued? I had just gained interrest in 24mm motors when they vanished. Of course later Estes made a "disney" version of the mighty E. I was just cureous as to why Estes went from an E15 to an E9.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
I cant find any info on it so I thought I would ask. The Estes -15 was discontinued in late 95-96. I know this because I tried to order some direct from estes and they told me so. What was the deal with them? Why were they discontinued? I had just gained interrest in 24mm motors when they vanished. Of course later Estes made a "disney" version of the mighty E. I was just cureous as to why Estes went from an E15 to an E9.

Estes discontinued their E15 (Actually, it was an E11) due to a high failure rate. The E15s were blowing out the nozzle or delay ends of the motors consistantly. The first product batch was reliable but something happened with a batch made later and the failure rate was very high. I watched a rocket with a cluster of three Estes E15s have two of the motors fail at ignition. The rocket did not survive.

The Estes E15s were mid-performance E motors. The AeroTech E15 & E30 motors were/are much closer to full impulse. Give those motors a try.

The E9 motor runs at a lower pressure so it doesn't fail as often as the Estes E15. The trade-off is that the E9 has a lower average thrust, good for light or modest weight models but not able to safely power heavy or draggy models.

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Forest Sprite

My cloned FSI Eos (42.5" long) puts in beautiful, high flights on an Estes E9-4 in a 29/24mm adapter. Here it is on Pad #1 at NARAM.

MarkII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Eos on Pad#1 at NARAM-51.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  106.8 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Craftsman

What is the max lift off weight for an E9
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
What is the max lift off weight for an E9

That info is listed in the online Estes catalog. if it is not easy to find on the current Estes website, previous years' catalogs are online and that table has not changed in years.

Longer delay times have lower max weights because they would coast into the ground if the rocket was heavy and had a long delay time.

For best results, always use a 1/4" diameter by 6 foot long steel launch rod with an E9 rocket. if the rocket is very light and there is no wind, you can use a 5 foot long 3/16" diameter steel rod.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
That info is listed in the online Estes catalog. if it is not easy to find on the current Estes website, previous years' catalogs are online and that table has not changed in years.

Longer delay times have lower max weights because they would coast into the ground if the rocket was heavy and had a long delay time.

For best results, always use a 1/4" diameter by 6 foot long steel launch rod with an E9 rocket. if the rocket is very light and there is no wind, you can use a 5 foot long 3/16" diameter steel rod.

Yep mr grouchy I know where the max lift off weight that estes recomends info is.....but I wanted to know from some people who have actually launched with the E to let me know. Plus I was kinda tired lastnight and didnt feel like looking it up
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Considering that Estes recommends the E9 for their Maxi V-2 and Interceptor E, I wouldn't trust their max liftoff weight recommendation for the E9. For success with the E9 on these two kits, you need near perfect calm and absolute vertical launch. I'd trust a two stage Fat Boy on a B6-0 booster long before an E9 in one of those two heavy birds.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Forest Sprite

Fully loaded for launch with an E9-4, my Eos weighs about 10.65 oz. (302 g). It gets off the pad briskly and goes up straight and true off of a 4' long, 1/8" or 3/16" diameter launch rod* (even in a breeze) and gets about 900 feet. The rocket is 42.5" long with a 1.64" dia. lower section and a 1.34" dia. payload section.

(*It has 3/16" lugs on it, and they slide on my 3/16" rods just fine, but the lugs seem to bind on many 3/16" rods when I take it to launches.)

MarkII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FSI Eos clone.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  121.1 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 10-20-2009 at 10:03 PM.